Summer dealings

56 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He's a good player at this level but I doubt we could afford his wages never mind Morton. I'd expect him to sign for a bottom 6 premiership team.

Is he really in a position to be thinking he can do better than teams in this league after not doing much this season? 

I'm hoping we'll see us having a more competitive budget next season after bringing in a very decent sum of money from cup games over the past year and more prize money for finishing in the playoffs. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Is he really in a position to be thinking he can do better than teams in this league after not doing much this season? 

I'm hoping we'll see us having a more competitive budget next season after bringing in a very decent sum of money from cup games over the past year and more prize money for finishing in the playoffs. 

I'm sure there was a number of top flight sides trying to sign him before he chose Hibs who can obviously pay more than most sides. I'd expect some to be in for him again and if that's the case you can forget it.

Under-Contract(I think)- Fleming, Hart Boyle*, Gilmour*, McGuffie, Harkins, Forrest(?), Gilmour

Keep- Devlin, Balatoni, Cairney, Adams*, Rose, Crawford, Meggat, Docherty Wardrope, Farid El Alagui

Punt- Moore, Murphy, McKenna, McKenzie

* Would punt if we stay up.

I suspect Devlin, Balatoni and Farid El Alagui will be away regardless of what division we are in next year.

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:32, somerset_lad00 said:

Michael Rose - didn't expect him to stay but he's been a different player altogether in the last couple of matches. Looks comfortable in midfield and could be our new Jamie Adams.

That's a shame as Jamie Adams is garbage. Has some sort of hero status amongst the Ayr fans for barging into one of the Borrowers. Hardman though.

That's a shame as Jamie Adams is garbage. Has some sort of hero status amongst the Ayr fans for barging into one of the Borrowers. Hardman though.

He was good last season when he wasn't injured but he's been found out this season as his footballing ability is limited. Rose can fill the midfield enforcer role but also has the potential to be a decent footballer.

Under-Contract(I think)- Fleming, Hart Boyle*, Gilmour*, McGuffie, Harkins, Forrest(?), Gilmour
Keep- Devlin, Balatoni, Cairney, Adams*, Rose, Crawford, Meggat, Docherty Wardrope, Farid El Alagui
I suspect Devlin, Balatoni and Farid El Alagui will be away regardless of what division we are in next year.

I'm pretty sure it took some convincing to sign Balatoni as he was desperate to play abroad. Same goes for Farid.

5 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I'm pretty sure it took some convincing to sign Balatoni as he was desperate to play abroad. Same goes for Farid.

Farid tried and failed to secure a move to Asia when he left the pars so i'll assume he will try again come summer

Didn't Keatings have the chance to stay at Hearts when they went up and decided he didn't fancy it?  I've no idea why a bottom 6 Premiership team would be looking at him and he may well need to accept a lower wage at a club in this league.

Happy enough with the players under contract next season; Murdoch, Gill, Williamson, Cardle, Hoppy, Clark. Geggan has the option for a one year extention which I would be pretty happy to be activated. I would try and keep Ashcroft, Morris, Martin, McMullan, Herron, Wedderburn, Higgy and Moffat, would consider McCabe if his wages were reasonable. 

Meaning we would release Paton, Hutton, Fordyce, Talbot, BRE, Spence and Reilly.

By all account Josh Dunn is ready to step into the U20 Gk position son not sure if we need another keeper.

I think Spark should be in the first team squad next season as he shows a lot of promise also adding another experienced defender preferably a right back would provide enough depth. If we keep our "short-term" wide players we could bring in 2 midfielders preferable a wide player and a CM  and one or two strikers to replace Gav and I would play Moff as an Attacking midfielder so would need cover up top.

Really dont know what our team will look like next season regardless of what league we are in. We have a lot out of contract and so far havent made moves to tie up many bar a few of the youngsters like Henderson, Blues, Langton and Shepherd the latter being a very surprising decision. Of those others under contract i think we only have Robbie Thomson, Muirhead, Grant, Austin, O'Hara to my knowledge. I think most out of contract will get offered deals, but think likes of Kerr, McCracken, Sibbald will go, Miller I think may get a coaching role, wouldn't be sad to see McHugh go but if the likes of Shepherd can get a two year deal then there's hope for everyone.

20 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Didn't Keatings have the chance to stay at Hearts when they went up and decided he didn't fancy it?  I've no idea why a bottom 6 Premiership team would be looking at him and he may well need to accept a lower wage at a club in this league.

Looking back it was certainly stated ion the press that he knocked back a number of premier league clubs to sign for hibs due to the size of the club.

Agreed - although punt Harkins.

On the assumption that we manage to stay in the league, I'd go with:

GK

Murdoch - keep
Hutton - leave
Gill - keep

Defence

Ashcroft - keep
Morris - keep
Talbot - keep
Martin - keep (purely for versatility in a small squad)
Williamson - keep (give him a good pre-season, and potentially a 6-month loan for regular games, and there's the makings of a decent player in there somewhere!)
Fordyce - leave
BRE - leave

Midfield

Geggan - keep
Wedderburn - keep
Higginbotham - keep
Cardle - keep (decent back-up option, not as a regular)
McCabe - leave
Paton - leave
Spence - leave

Strikers

Clark - keep
Moffat - keep
Hopkirk - leave

On-Loan (if possible)

McMullan - keep
Herron - keep
Reilly - leave

The key for me would be getting Ashcroft, Morris and Higgy signed - and working on McMullan as well. Murdoch is key as well, but I believe he's already signed up for next year. We really need at least 2 x full backs, 1 x centre-mid, 1 x winger and 2 x strikers.

1 minute ago, Scosha said:

Is he done at this level? Always thought he was a decent player but he's barely played this season.

I'd say he probably has another year (maybe two) at this level, but if we lose Higgy and/or McMullan I think Cardle as a regular would be a step down.

Still got some great performances in him, but is very predictable and isn't getting any quicker (and he's never been quick!). I'd be happy having him on the bench as an impact sub, but nothing more than that if we're looking for the top 4 next year.

Personally I'd be sad to see Joe go, but more for sentimental reasons than for his performances this year.

23 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Has Balatoni not already got a move abroad lined up for next season? Or am i getting mixed up with us rejecting a move for him in January?

15 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Has Balatoni not already got a move abroad lined up for next season? Or am i getting mixed up with us rejecting a move for him in January?

That bid for Balatoni came from a South African club, apparently he was okay with it being turned down and said he would like to play abroad at one point in his career.

Archived