Aberdeen v ICTFC

Funniest part of Storey's truly horrendous miss wasn't how he somehow failed to tap the ball in from less than a yard out, but when he subsequently elected to touch the ball away from goal rather than just sorting his feet out and back-heeling it into the net. Utterly bizarre. Anyway, another good three points; McLean played well enough, but I thought O'Connor and Jack were the pick of the bunch. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Menzel said:

As much as they give us a good game quite a lot, I'd like teams to stay up who routinely f**k it against us and gift us easy points. So Dundee then.

Aye Hamilton can F*ck off!!!

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Funniest part of Storey's truly horrendous miss wasn't how he somehow failed to tap the ball in from less than a yard out, but when he subsequently elected to touch the ball away from goal rather than just sorting his feet out and back-heeling it into the net. Utterly bizarre. Anyway, another good three points; McLean played well enough, but I thought O'Connor and Jack were the pick of the bunch. 

O'Connor, Jack, Shinnie, and McNaughton for me...

That'll do.

Can't wait to see Storey's miss. Sounds like it was a corker! It's a shame that he's not come good for us. Surely misses like that aren't going to endear him much to McInnes if he's trying to play his way into the team.

Sounded like we were hanging on a bit at the end there!

That'll do.

Can't wait to see Storey's miss. Sounds like it was a corker! It's a shame that he's not come good for us. Surely misses like that aren't going to endear him much to McInnes if he's trying to play his way into the team.

Sounded like we were hanging on a bit at the end there!

I listened on Sportsound instead of RedTV for a change, whoever the commentator was seemed to get a lot more excited about Inverness attacks than Aberdeen ones so it was hard to tell just how good the respective team's chances were. Had Willie Miller on it though so that was good.

Back to RedTV next time I think.

8 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Does he not try that but totally misjudge his feet and ends up standing on the ball instead while falling into the post

5 minutes ago, foransbeard said:

Are we just goin to miss out the championship altogether then ya thick c*nt

I said one step closer, ya thick c**t.

If you're closer to the Championship, ergo incognito sum you are closer to League One. 

You've just been Wilko'd.

200.gif

Big win last night, massive step towards second. Inverness did what they normally do - come down to Pittodrie, setup to be tough to break down and make us work for anything we get. A lot better than the nonsense served up by Kilmarnock, Dundee and McGhee's Motherwell yet ICT find themselves adrift at the bottom. Be surprised if they went down but it's beginning to look pretty desperate.

Not much can be done by way of analysis, it was a very subdued match. Jack was our best player last night, alongside O'Connor. Hayes tried also, as did McGinn. Some of our players were very quiet and had off nights - Logan, Rooney, McLean, Shinnie to name a few.

Has to be said young Liam Polworth looks a cracking player. Exciting and positive in his play. Good prospect.

As for Miles Storey - a pathetic miss. While I've defended him for being rusty before, that's not rustiness leading to that miss but sheer lack of concentration. Safe to say we won't be seeing him again anytime soon, and probably fair enough! 

Went into that game fearing an absolute bumming but came away slightly disappointed we didn't nick something from it. Not saying we deserved a draw but Aberdeen were very flat for most of the match and we grew into it and had some decent chances to get a goal. That said overall Aberdeen definitely seemed to be playing within themselves after their destruction of Dundee on Friday.

Very defensive line up to start with from Foran. Warren, Laing and McNaughton all starting at CB with Tremarco and Raven on the left and right. Tansey, Draper and Polworth in the middle and Mckay and Anier up front. The lack of width in the side was evident throughout the opening period of the game. Any time the likes of Tansey got the ball in the midfield we looked to the wide areas for support and Raven / Tremarco were often too far up the pitch or too far back to offer us the chance to stretch the Aberdeen rearguard.

When Aberdeen attacked they went down the flanks doubling up on our full backs which often meant that one of the midfield three were having to come across to help defend which opened up space in the middle of the pitch for Shinnie, McLean etc to drive into. 

Aberdeen goal was pretty untidy from an ICT point of view. Defence struggled to clear a corner and the ball seemed to ricochet in off Warren under pressure from Considine and Taylor. Best chance of the first half for ICT was created by Polworth who surged through the middle and played a nice ball to Mckay inside the box but Lewis was able to save. It was a rare moment of football from ICT in the first half with our main tactic normally consisting of leathering the ball in the vague direction of Mckay or Anier which was easily defended by Taylor and O'Connor.

Second half Aberdeen clearly eased off and we started to grow into the game a bit more as time went on coupled with a change in shape. A couple of long range strikes, including a decent effort from Polworth, and some scrambles in the Aberdeen box gave some hope that we might nick a point but our play in the final third lacked a real cutting edge. During a rare period of play where we actually got the ball down and passed it around we had some success getting in behind the Aberdeen defence particularly down their left and once Fisher came on the long ball started to become a bit more effective with Taylor and O'Connor suddenly finding themselves under pressure in the air.

However the best chance of the second half fell Aberdeens way in the shape of the inexplicable miss from Storey. Absolutely no idea how he managed to miss it and then he contrived to take the ball away from goal as he tried to get it under control. 

ICT players were on the floor at the end. There was certainly no lack of effort from the guys last night but we just don't have the quality to break down teams like Aberdeen and probably most teams in the league just now. Even just having someone like Christie could open up a few goal scoring chances for us which could make all the difference.

I thought Polworth did well in his more natural central midfield position. He was burst by the end of the game though. McNaughton was also excellent at the back for us and I felt Laing had a good game. Draper was poor. Distribution well off and again he was used to try and win some of the long balls with varying degrees of success. Tansey was off the boil too. His short passing was good but some of the long passes were off the mark and he showed a real reluctance to try and attack when in possession even when faced with yards of open space.

Aberdeen, as I said, were playing in first or second gear. They were competent all over the pitch without any real standout performances I felt. Everyone just did their job well. Nothing flashy. A pretty routine win for them.

Whole crowd was very muted. It felt like a post split match with nothing to play for therefore there was zero atmosphere save for one really angry Aberdeen fan in the DD who spent about 20 minutes of the first half calling a bunch of 16 year old ICT fans paedos which was slightly strange.

TL;DR

ICT better but still not good enough. Aberdeen did the job they had too without being overly impressive. Mind boggling miss from Storey. Some really angry Aberdeen fan called kids paedos. 

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

As for Miles Storey - a pathetic miss. While I've defended him for being rusty before, that's not rustiness leading to that miss but sheer lack of concentration. Safe to say we won't be seeing him again anytime soon, and probably fair enough! 

I've watched the video a few times and still can't figure out how he managed to miss it :lol:

Thought Aberdeen was very poor yesterday, just seem lack a spark which is a concern since this was the same problems we had near the end of the last few seasons due to our early starts to the season.  Hopefully just a one off but a small concern but its good to play poor and get a win - manager mentioned the players was upset with performance which is a good sign :)

I thought Inverness looked decent and quite surprised to see them at the bottom but if they play like they did yesterday I can see them getting out of the trouble. 

Archived