MLB 2017

BerwickMad

On 08/10/2017 at 01:50, David W said:

Then they turn it on in the 8th. Think this might be the series that goes to 4 or 5 games.

Shaping up to be a good one. Scherzer back on the mound tonight with a slightly dodgy hamstring, and Arrieta tomorrow with the same. Interesting to see  how Quintana gets on tonight as his poorest starts for the Cubs have been when he got a bit to "amped-up" - seems a decent chance of that in a postseason debut! 2 well matched teams but the Cubs bullpen doesn't inspire confidence and if Harper gets hot that may well make the difference.

Overall, this seems like one of the best postseasons I can remember. All the teams seem legitimately good  so hopefully a few series go the distance and we get some game 5/7 action all October.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cubs and Nats go to game 5 tomorrow. Strasburg was absolutely filthy last night and deserved the win. Overall I think going to 5 games is fair given the way the Nationals have pitched in the series.

All hands on deck for Friday though! Cubs will need Hendricks to continue his sparkling post-season form, but could see Scherzer coming out of the pen for the Nats as well so won't be a dull game regardless of the score...

Surprised at the Indians choking like that, I thought they were pretty much a cert to get to the World Series at the very least.

The rain delay didn't help the Cubs, and Strasburg pitched brilliantly last night (as did Lester - Arrieta not so much). But a Cubs fan cannot complain about rain delays. This feels like some sort of karmic payback for the rain delay in game 7 last year, as there was no way the Cubs would have won the World Series without that.

The Cubs need to take the lead I think, because if Scherzer comes in relief defending a lead, with the way the Cubs have been batting, I can't see any way back from that. In truth, I don't think the Cubs are anywhere near good enough this year to win it all anyway.

Cubs advance to meet the Dodgers in the NLCS. Just watched the highlights, and they are worth reviewing if you haven't seen. The whole game was completely crazy. Particularly notable:

- Scherzer came in from the pen to pitch the 5th inning with a 1-run lead. After 2 quick outs it went: Infield single, bloop single, Double, intentional walk, strikeout (but ball gets away and Weiters throws it into right field trying to get the out at first), catcher interference, hit-by-pitch. Inning finishes with the Cubs up 7-4. Kris Bryant was 2 of the 3 outs in the inning.

- Trailing by a run in the 8th inning, the 3rd out for the Nats was a pickoff at firstbase. Lobaton slid in ahead of the tag but his foot popped off the bag and he was out on the replay review. brutal.

- Wade Davis got a 7 out save throwing almost 50 pitches and struckout Bryce Harper for the final out.

Cubs pitching will be a mess for the start of the NLCS, but still happy to be there. Either Quintana (who pitched out of the pen last night) or Lackey (who isn't very good) likely to start Game 1 against some guy called Kershaw...

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I've started watching this, who should I support?

Depends  on who you prefer really. Do you like rooting for an underdog or happy to follow a big successful team? As its almost the end of the season their are only 4 teams still playing -  Chicago Cubs vs LA Dodgers and Houston Astros  vs New York Yankees. To be honest they are all big rich successful teams, but the Cubs and Yankees are likely the underdogs in each match-up for this year.

For next season, if you're a Lions fan you could stick with Detroit and support the Tigers but they aren't likely to be good in the short-term.

Surprised at the Indians choking like that, I thought they were pretty much a cert to get to the World Series at the very least.
The rain delay didn't help the Cubs, and Strasburg pitched brilliantly last night (as did Lester - Arrieta not so much). But a Cubs fan cannot complain about rain delays. This feels like some sort of karmic payback for the rain delay in game 7 last year, as there was no way the Cubs would have won the World Series without that.
The Cubs need to take the lead I think, because if Scherzer comes in relief defending a lead, with the way the Cubs have been batting, I can't see any way back from that. In truth, I don't think the Cubs are anywhere near good enough this year to win it all anyway.

Shows what I know. Haha

Archived