MLB 2017

BerwickMad

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

That Cubs bullpen. Yikes

Its brutal. If John Lackey gets the call in the 9th inning of a tie-game you know something has gone horribly wrong.  The bullpen hasn't been good all year, but its been exposed in the postseason so far. Rather alarmingly the hitting has also fallen apart. Bullpen keep losing games, but the offense hasn't really done enough to win games anyway. Starting pitching been the only thing holding together...

Hopefully a day-off lets them reset a bit and then they can spark the series into life at Wrigley. Hendricks will need to have a strong start to give them any chance, but this team has some notable bounce-backs in the recent past so i'll keep my fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, SamuraiJock said:

Its brutal. If John Lackey gets the call in the 9th inning of a tie-game you know something has gone horribly wrong.  The bullpen hasn't been good all year, but its been exposed in the postseason so far. Rather alarmingly the hitting has also fallen apart. Bullpen keep losing games, but the offense hasn't really done enough to win games anyway. Starting pitching been the only thing holding together...

Hopefully a day-off lets them reset a bit and then they can spark the series into life at Wrigley. Hendricks will need to have a strong start to give them any chance, but this team has some notable bounce-backs in the recent past so i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Aye. Lackey should never have been in that position. I love Big John to bits, but he is not a relief pitcher in a million years.

The starters have all been good. The offence has been terrible. 

Cubs stay alive with a narrow win last night. Nice to get one on the board and the feeling of the series will change quite a bit if they can beat Kershaw tonight and take the series back to LA. Kershaw likely still odds on to finish things tonight, but the Cubs bats could wake up at some point so tonight would be an excellent time to get started!

Most ridiculous bit of last night was a Curtis Granderson strikeout - he swings and misses for strike 3 then complains that he thought he fouled off the pitch. For some inexplicable reason, all the umpires get together and overturn the call despite none of them actually seeing any contact! (they said they heard a noise). Crazy decision to make at any time, but especially so in the post-season. Granderson struck out on the next pitch anyway, but imagine the Dodgers won the game with a call like that making the difference! The umps would have been ripped to pieces before they got out of Chicago.

Anticipating a Cubs departure from the playoffs at some point, I fired up Out of the Park baseball for the 1st time in years last night. Basically Football Manager for baseball. Forgot how deep and addictive it was and the more recent versions seem much improved on the older ones I remember. Should help see me through the off-season!

Cubs papped oot in comfortable fashion. Never looked like beating a very good Dodgers team in this series so no complaints about them advancing to the World Series. Cubs starting pitching held up fairly well, but the hitters fall apart and the bullpen was a hot mess. Lots to think about for the off-season but Cubs will likely feel they should be aiming for at least the NLCS again next year (which would be 4 years in a row if they can manage it).

Archived