Rovers v Morton

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the look of some of these teams, but let's not kid ourselves on. Davidson and Jordan Thompson scooping the ball into the air from the middle of the park. Chris Johnston hiding somewhere between midfield and attack. Hardie having the ball leathered at him from all angles, Hughes moaning because he isn't working miracles with it. Bene shoehorned in somewhere if he's fit. Scott Roberts or Rudi Skacel from the bench. Barr to get ten minutes at most. Maybe we'll even get McManus back in the starting line up.

Can't wait.

Rovers were playing some good football their last game at EEP. I thought they attacked well, got forward in numbers, and created a few good chances for themselves. They were far from easy to beat. 

I rovers score first, they'll end up with the win. If they concede first, it'll become a scrappy hard fought draw. I don't think rovers will lose this one against a Morton team that is running more hot and cold than us right now. 

Maybe how the players react in this game to the manner of defeat mid-week could determine how the rest of our season will go.

I would expect changes will be made or Duffy could give players a chance to redeem themselves - who knows?

Gaston

Doyle - Kilday - O'Ware - Lamie

Forbes - Murdoch - Tidser - Lindsay

Nesbitt - Shankland

I would push Lindsay out to the left and bring in Tidser to a more central role. We need to start creating more chances from midfield.

I thought Lamie was outstanding against Hibs, so I would put him to LB and drop the off-form Russell with Kilday coming back in at CB

I know Shankland has his critics, but he's the only forward getting goal scoring chances - albeit he's not taking them. So for that reason I'll be the eternal optimist and hope he takes at least one of them.

Oliver has just not been at the races after coming back from injury. He's not even getting into goal scoring positions (that's why I'm going with Shankland to start ahead of him)

Still not sure if Oliver is carrying an injury or not. Came off in the 1st half on Saturday against Hibs but makes starting line up on Tuesday...hmmnn.

No idea how this game will go. Our confidence could be right down or we could come out fighting.

Raith fans'll laugh considering the predicament they're in, where they'd happily swap places with us, but this is really must-win for us too. We've taken two points from five games, scoring just two goals in that time. Aye, we only need four points from the final four games to be guaranteed a playoff place and it'll more than likely be less than that, assuming QoS drop points somewhere, but if we stumble into fourth place on this kind of form we'll be pumped out immediately.

Five games ago we confirmed our status as clear favourites for second place with a decent run of fixtures to seal it. Had we taken even five points from Dunfermline, Dumbarton & St Mirren we'd be on track and had we taken 6+ we'd basically have it wrapped up. As it is, we lost all of them, one an absolute pumping, meaning two decent draws with Hibs are forgotten. We need to get some momentum ahead of the playoffs and we need to get it now. 10-12 points from our last four games can still give us second and we need to pull ourselves out of this rut before it turns into a collapse - five games without a win is bad, if it turns into 6 or 7 desperation starts to set in. It has to start this weekend.

I see from Hughes' comments in the FFP that Skacel may well be starting again this weekend.

He reckons he still has the legs to give us a "good hour" but then neglects to mention why he then kept him on the pitch for 27 minutes longer than that against the Pars.

I see from Hughes' comments in the FFP that Skacel may well be starting again this weekend.
He reckons he still has the legs to give us a "good hour" but then neglects to mention why he then kept him on the pitch for 27 minutes longer than that against the Pars.

If Skacel starts we're fucked. Nothing against him, but he offers nothing. Ridiculous that we got rid of Vaughan at the same point where Skacel had offered far less.

Morton will be the first selection on my fixed odds coupon this weekend.

After that right royal pumping they got on Tuesday they will be desperate to atone. I expect them to go for the jugular straight from the kick-off.

Raith 0 Morton 3.

Morton will be the first selection on my fixed odds coupon this weekend.
After that right royal pumping they got on Tuesday they will be desperate to atone. I expect them to go for the jugular straight from the kick-off.
Raith 0 Morton 3.

That's my thinking as well unfortunately. We don't score goals and have yet to score any against Morton this season. A home win would go against everything. Plus with Skacel starting we're down to 10 men from the kick off. Absolute disgrace the guy is anywhere near our club.

This game sets the tone for the rest of our season. Lose, we're out of the run in for 2nd and will hit the play-offs in poor form. Win and we'll hopefully take some confidence from it and pick up 6/9 points available at least. Hoping we win and Ayr and St Mirren do us a favour.

4 hours ago, rw89 said:

If Skacel starts we're fucked. Nothing against him, but he offers nothing.

Don't worry we will start Shankland to even it out, so it will be 10v10 from the first whistle. :) 

Don't worry we will start Shankland to even it out, so it will be 10v10 from the first whistle. [emoji4] 

Shankland scored the last time we faced you in the 2-0 game at Cappielow in his debut IIRC.

Don't even try and compare they 2 players. Skacel hasn't scored a single goal all season and only has 2 assists I'm sure( Stewart's 90th minute winner against Qots back in October and McManus' late equaliser against Hearts in the cup in January. Could be talking shite there though.

3 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Shankland scored the last time we faced you in the 2-0 game at Cappielow in his debut IIRC.

Don't even try and compare they 2 players. Skacel hasn't scored a single goal all season and only has 2 assists I'm sure( Stewart's 90th minute winner against Qots back in October and McManus' late equaliser against Hearts in the cup in January. Could be talking shite there though.

Stewart's one was decent, the one against hearts was more like a shot that McManus accidentally stood I'm front of.

But aye, short of a couple of free kicks we've won from his terrible diving that's as much as I've seen him do this season.

Archived