The Famous Aberdeen European Tour 17/18

NorthernLights

Aberdeen

yup, think it was the 07/08 season

Super Jimmy calderwood ,actually made it through the group stage and impressed at pittodrie against Bayern Munich if I remember rightly

I remember that season, but couldn't remember if they were the last Scottish team.
They drew 2-2 with Bayern at Pittodrie, then got pumped in Munich.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Shite performance and we are deservedly out.

McInnes needs to shoulder a lot of blame here, what were the tactics supposed to be? The defence was far too deep leaving huge spaces in the middle third which left shinnie and Christie chasing shadows and using up energy. Stockley up top to try and hold the ball up. It was blatantly obvious the team needed to be 20 yards higher up the park yet nothing was done.
Mackey Steven needs to learn the offside rule for when he's defending. Reynolds needs dropped, McLean too.

Joe Lewis distribution was pish.

Pass marks for shinnie, Christie, Wright and Maynard.

Tactically we were very nearly made to pay in the first game against Siroki with huge gaps behind our full backs; I figured we had fixed that but I agree with you, we got it awfully wrong again tonight...everyone being completely shite didn't help either

12 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I'm a big Andy Considine fan, but it does as no good having him at left-back in these games. Said the same after the 2nd leg in Bosnia. You can't play in Europe with a full-back who, fundamentally, isn't actually very good at football. His only option in possession was to hoof it away time and time again.

Andy Considine looks like he's playing with his boots on the wrong feet. Guys like him stealing a wage is the biggest part of reason Scottish teams are pish in Europe.

5 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Boxing with the stewards. Riot police called in.

Eta the Cypriot stewards seem more up for a square go than their Scottish counterparts

Beaten on the pitch and beaten up in the stand, how embarrassing :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Shite performance and we are deservedly out.

McInnes needs to shoulder a lot of blame here, what were the tactics supposed to be? The defence was far too deep leaving huge spaces in the middle third which left shinnie and Christie chasing shadows and using up energy. Stockley up top to try and hold the ball up. It was blatantly obvious the team needed to be 20 yards higher up the park yet nothing was done.
Mackey Steven needs to learn the offside rule for when he's defending. Reynolds needs dropped, McLean too.

Joe Lewis distribution was pish.

Pass marks for shinnie, Christie, Wright and Maynard.

I was really disappointed in McLean.  All the talent and technique you could want, but he hardly ever puts his stamp on a game. You can get away with that playing as a no. 10, but not in central midfield. We missed Ryan Jack tonight. Someone who will sit in front of the back 4, not do anything flashy but just keep play ticking over.

Hopefully Maynard showing he could hold the ball up effectively will make Stockley obsolete.

6 minutes ago, blanco said:

Andy Considine looks like he's playing with his boots on the wrong feet. Guys like him stealing a wage is the biggest part of reason Scottish teams are pish in Europe.

As a centre half he's reasonable enough on the ball (at least by Scottish standards), but at full-back his lack of technique and pace gets exposed whenever we play you lot or in Europe.

Tactically we were very nearly made to pay in the first game against Siroki with huge gaps behind our full backs; I figured we had fixed that but I agree with you, we got it awfully wrong again tonight...everyone being completely shite didn't help either

Our back 4 were so narrow and deep it just invited trouble, their full backs were just wandering 50 yards unopposed up the wings. McInnes recognised it but all he did was swap Christie and Stewart as Christie would track back more, all this achieved was nullifying Christie.

We need a striker, a centre back and a left back. Considine wasn't the worst tonight but he's slower than a week in the jail, use him at centre back in the league but not at left back in Europe.

If the team were braver and played 20 yards higher we would have won more 2nd balks and pressed them into mistakes. To not test the keeper until the 95th minute is disgraceful.

For all their diving, cheating, time wasting and flare throwing they were the better team but only because we played so badly and got our tactics way off.

19 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

there's no reason our clubs can't adopt a similar tactic by taking on Hungarians or Montenegrins who would jump at the chance to sign for  St Johnstone or Motherwell.

Hang on... whit???

Why would a Hungarian jump at the chance to sign for Motherwell?

Archived