June 8th General Election

Mudder

I thought charging for hospital parking had been abolished.
Free parking saves patients over £25m
https://news.gov.scot/news/free-parking-saves-patients-over-25m

Charges were abolished at the following hospitals:

• NHS Grampian - Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and Dr Gray's Hospital, Elgin
  • NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde - Gartnavel General Hospital and Gartnavel Royal Hospital (one car park for both),
  • Southern General Hospital, Stobhill Hospital, Victoria Infirmary, Western Infirmary and Yorkhill Hospital
  • NHS Highland - RaigmoreHospital, Inverness
  • NHS Lothian - LauristonBuilding, St John'sHospital and Western GeneralHospital.
  • NHS Tayside - Perth Royal Infirmary
Charges remain at three car parks built under Private Finance Initiative (PFI) contracts at
Glasgow Royal Infirmary, the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and NinewellsHospital in Dundee.

I wasn't aware tbh.

I'd mentioned to the nurse I had I put a ticket on, she took my number plate, came back and said I didn't need another for the day.

The car park is certainly monitored by smart parking. I just assumed you were charged for parking.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 08/05/2017 at 11:21, oaksoft said:

We tried all this higher tax pish before in the 70s. It was a total disaster. The UK voted Labour out and we have not voted in a tax raising party since. You really need to learn the lessons of history.

Oh and I didnt change the argument at all.

Calm down bud and think before you post.

You ask me to calm down when you continue to blindly present uneducated nonsense as fact. You rail about the higher tax 'pish' from the 1970s without any acknowledgment that it isn't even true. The tax burden (measured as a percentage of GDP) has increased since then (35.6% in 2013; 34% in the 1970s). It's helped by things like

• VAT going from 8% in 1977 to 20% now and applied more widely (eg on domestic fuel).
  • national insurance increasing from 5.5% in the seventies to 12%;
  • fuel duty, tobacco duty and alcohol duty now being amongst the highest in Europe
  • since the 1970s we've lost tax breaks such as married couple's allowance and mortgage interest relief.
  • we've introduced new taxes (eg APD)

The difference is that the balance of the personal tax take has switched from a progressive one, based on the ability to afford, to a tax based on consumption. That inevitably hits poorer people harder. And the sliminess of it is that it's done surreptitiously. You say we have not voted in a tax-raising party since. That's blatantly untrue. Sure, no-one ever voted for the tax hikes I've listed above. Nobody got a choice.

By voting for a party that promises to lower income tax rates, while surreptitiously raising indirect taxes, you're advocating something cruel. You're taxing the poorer to a far greater extent (a simple example: the government gets the same duty from on a £4 bottle of wine as it does from a £20 one; or an even simpler one: the marginal cost for a little old lady heating her house is much higher than for family with two earners).

You're shifting the tax burden where it shouldn't go: onto those who can least afford it.  If you're happy with that, then really we don't have much more to discuss.

24 minutes ago, renton said:

The counterpoint being is that in the same time frame, the UK hasn't voted for a party that has explicitly committed to cut or all out privatize the NHS either or to substantially raise the pension age either, which is the logical outcome of any exercise in cutting income and corporation taxes over time. The lesson of history then, is that an electorate will vote for both the cake and eating it, where politicians have been venal and disingenuous enough to tell them they can.

The outcome, a low income, low tax model that amplifies and stratifies massive inequalities in society, that offers ever narrower scopes for advancement for people outside the monied classes.

5 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

You ask me to calm down when you continue to blindly present uneducated nonsense as fact. You rail about the higher tax 'pish' from the 1970s without any acknowledgment that it just isn't true. In fact tax burden (measured as a percentage of GDP) has increased since then (35.6% in 2013; 34% in the 1970s). It's helped by things like

• VAT going from 8% in 1977 to 20% now and applied more widely (eg on domestic fuel).
  • national insurance increasing from 5.5% in the seventies to 12%;
  • fuel duty, tobacco duty and alcohol duty now being amongst the highest in Europe
  • since the 1970s we've lost tax breaks such as married couple's allowance and mortgage interest relief.
  • we've introduced new taxes (eg APD)

I've nothing against higher taxation. But by voting for a party that promises to lower income tax rates, while surreptitiously raising indirect taxes on domestic fuel, tobacco and alcohol, you're advocating something cruel. You're taxing the poorer to a far greater extent (a simple example: the government gets the same duty from on a £5 bottle of wine as it does from a £20 one). You're shifting the tax burden where it shouldn't go: onto those who can least afford it.  If you're happy with that, then really we don't have much more to discuss.

Expect absolute zero response from Oaksoft on these two posts.  He picks and chooses what he replies to based upon whether he wants to stick his fingers in his ears and go "la la la" or not.

2 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

At least he didn't have food banks.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

And we do so at least people who get themselves in bother can eat.

As I said, things are generally better now.

Oaksoft what a sad individual you are.
What you are basically saying is it's better to have more foodbanks so poor people can feed themselves,
rather than improving their lot through benefits or assistance.

What's your thoughts on the benefits Mrs Windsor's lot gets?

30 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I thought charging for hospital parking had been abolished.

Free parking saves patients over £25m
https://news.gov.scot/news/free-parking-saves-patients-over-25m

Charges were abolished at the following hospitals:

• NHS Grampian - Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and Dr Gray's Hospital, Elgin

• NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde - Gartnavel General Hospital and Gartnavel Royal Hospital (one car park for both),
  • Southern General Hospital, Stobhill Hospital, Victoria Infirmary, Western Infirmary and Yorkhill Hospital

• NHS Highland - RaigmoreHospital, Inverness

• NHS Lothian - LauristonBuilding, St John'sHospital and Western GeneralHospital.

• NHS Tayside - Perth Royal Infirmary

Charges remain at three car parks built under Private Finance Initiative (PFI) contracts at
Glasgow Royal Infirmary, the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and NinewellsHospital in Dundee.

Free parking saves patients £25 million!

In which case hospitals would have to cut back expenditure, or the aggregate of taxpayers would be required to cover the shortfall. It made a nice headline and helped patients and their visitors but it wasn't a free gift.

16 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I wasn't aware tbh.

I'd mentioned to the nurse I had I put a ticket on, she took my number plate, came back and said I didn't need another for the day.

The car park is certainly monitored by smart parking. I just assumed you were charged for parking.

I am fairly regularly at the PRI for treatment etc.
My appointment letter has a wee bit at the bottom which I tear off and place on the dashboard.
It states the date and time of the appointment.
You still have to get a ticket from the machine but it is free.
These car parks are on the right of the PRI heading up hill.

There are two car parks at the bottom of the hill which are for persons without an appointment letter.
You still have to get a ticket but again these are also free.

15 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

So presumably you don't have to pay in Scotland but you do in rUK?

Aye :thumsup2

14 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Another one to tell the pensioners who are voting tory

I'm a pensioner and I did my bit.
Both SNP councillors from my ward were successful :thumsup2

2 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

Free parking saves patients £25 million!

In which case hospitals would have to cut back expenditure, or the aggregate of taxpayers would be required to cover the shortfall. It made a nice headline but it wasn't a free gift.

No doubt you'd be happy for the hospitals to sell blood and body parts.
Anything to make a profit.

Of course Oaksoft backing a party refusing to answer questions about tax raises, and mocking one who has committed to no rises for anyone earning below £80k is more than just a little contradictory.

1 minute ago, Paco said:

Of course Oaksoft backing a party refusing to answer questions about tax raises, and mocking one who has committed to no rises for anyone earning below £80k is more than just a little contradictory.

I agree but I take the promises of the Labour Party with a big pinch of salt - and I'm diabetic :lol:

1 minute ago, Wee Willie said:

No doubt you'd be happy for the hospitals to sell blood and body parts.
Anything to make a profit.

You're just being silly, that conclusion comes from the overworked imagination of an individual, well balanced, with a chip on both shoulders.

4 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

You definitely get charged for parking at hospitals in Glasgow.

FFS read my lips

42 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

4 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

You're just being silly, that conclusion comes from the overworked imagination of an individual, well balanced, with a chip on both shoulders.

Is it really silly tho'.
You cannae see a future Tory government giving the green light to selling blood and body parts to balance the books.

FYI: a chip on one shoulder and a nice bit of haddock (battered) on the other.

The effects of the Tory Government:
C_SQDEoWsAA500u.jpg:large

You're a snowflake for pointing this out though. This is what Tories are voting for, they might agree with other Conservative policies or their flag waving Nationalism but ultimately this is the reality of voting Conservative.

What is the red line with all these Tory voters? How many people need to starve or die unnecessarily due to their policies before you won't vote for them?

5 minutes ago, t1t3h said:

You're a snowflake for pointing this out though. This is what Tories are voting for, they might agree with other Conservative policies or their flag waving Nationalism but ultimately this is the reality of voting Conservative.

What is the red line with all these Tory voters? How many people need to starve or die unnecessarily due to their policies before you won't vote for them?

It would seem, sadly, that SNPbad is more important than anything to some.

Archived