Referees

das scooter boy

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course it's about the money at Amateur level why the hell would you take abuse otherwise. Abuse that's the word and that's where players, managers, fans, committee think they have the right to dish out cart Blanche every match.

If they did these actions out with any match they would be arrested. Some Amateur referees are poor but then we have 5 match officials at games who miss things!!! Well need to get sponsors to install 50" screens to watch instant replays at Amateur games lol. Can you imagine telling the wifey I'm late game because the game was stopped 400 times lol. Stop the abuse, let the referee ref the game and give him or her respect they are due, without them no official football. Ps Pay your taxes please lol lol

13 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

absolute pish.

What about the guys who have played until their mid thirties, then move to the dark side due to their love of the game.

These referees are unlikely to progress beyond the amateurs due to their age, but doesn't make them poor referees.

Pleslie99 has already covered the last part.

and they are in the minority, and probably some of them will be in the majority of refs that pass the course initially then simply go through the motions on a weekend for a few extra quid

have a look at a lot of amatuer refs, especially sunday lower level amateur ones, their fitness right away isnt good enough nevermind their attitude, but they still get paid because 22 guys want a game of football

Isn't it the case that footballers get the standard of referee they deserve?

As with footballers, the better refs move up the grades, so the not so good ones remain at sunday or lower level amateur.

I'm not for a minute condoning the ones you describe tho', as I know they are out there, but you must admit, not all footballers at these levels are dedicated athletes.

Curious to know What do people expect of an amateur referee? Are we all now getting more and more caught up by the media attention that is given to referees because all I can see is people moaning about almost everything in amateur.Just go out and enjoy your game and have a laugh with your mates. The ref ain't exactly making any life or death decisions. He is one guy up against 22 players plus their sidelines. Guaranteed he is never going to keep everyone happy and yes he will make mistakes. As will the players on the park and I guarantee they will make alot more mistakes than the ref. However it's never the players fault it's always the refs fault. Never seen a ref win a game yet.

Mistakes are accepted as long as the referee has the right attitude. If he/she comes across as arrogant which many of them do and continually makes errors then you've got to expect sidelines and players to react angrily. At the end of the day we all work tirelessly to run a team and raise money that helps towards paying these guys so we are entitled to question their decisions. If they have the right attitude though and talk to you sensibly rather than being defensive and arrogant then most players and coaches would respect them for making genuine errors.

Mistakes are accepted as long as the referee has the right attitude. If he/she comes across as arrogant which many of them do and continually makes errors then you've got to expect sidelines and players to react angrily. At the end of the day we all work tirelessly to run a team and raise money that helps towards paying these guys so we are entitled to question their decisions. If they have the right attitude though and talk to you sensibly rather than being defensive and arrogant then most players and coaches would respect them for making genuine errors.

Do you think maybe the so called arrogant and defensive attitude is maybe down to the constant abuse received by said referee. If you went into a restaurant with you and your 10 mates and asked for a steak and they said sorry you cannae have a steak would you first all run over to the waitress and surround her then start shouting and bawling in her face whilst calling her a fucking useless idiot along with all the other expletives. Then say to yourself and your mates she was a fucking idiot and has pure ruined ma meal but it was arite for us to treat her like that because we gave her £40.

That depends on how they are approached by the players in the first place. It's impossible to talk sense to 11 angry men on the pitch and a committee frothing at the mouth on the sidelines because of a decision that hasn't gone their way. Completely impossible.

Davie Gee: (not quoting a lengthy post)

I think people are entitled to expect a level of fitness, a knowledge of the laws of the game and respect from the referees. Referees expect respect (correctly) and should conduct themselves accordingly.

I don't agree either that players get the standard they deserve (not David Gee's post). Many amateur referees haven't progressed purely because of their age.

Davie Gee: (not quoting a lengthy post)

I think people are entitled to expect a level of fitness, a knowledge of the laws of the game and respect from the referees. Referees expect respect (correctly) and should conduct themselves accordingly.

I don't agree either that players get the standard they deserve (not David Gee's post). Many amateur referees haven't progressed purely because of their age.

Respect is a two way thing and most teams generally are respectful . I would expect all referees to be respectful towards the players to be honest. Every team has the token idiot that even their own players can't be bothered with at times so probably respect for said individual has gone before a ball is even kicked.

I don't imagine the referee not to know the laws of the game. Let's be honest the mistakes most referees make are usually going to be down to a difference of opinions which doesn't make the referee right or wrong.

We could pick out decisions from the senior game and watch them 100 times over and sometimes never agree so what chance does that one guy have on a Saturday morning down the public park on his own.

The abuse Nicole Andrews got the other night at Tarbolton by the home management and supporters was nothing short of a disgrace.
She actually had a good game IMO and i have been critical of her in the past .
Her dad recieved abuse as well as they were leaving.

Actually agree with scooter OMG !! Thought ref had really good game and got the big calls 100% correct. 2 stone wall pens. Can understand tarboltons disappointment as there a team fighting to stay in league but abuse of referee was unjust. Always enjoyed a game at tarbolton , even as a mossblown player !!

Actually agree with scooter OMG !! Thought ref had really good game and got the big calls 100% correct. 2 stone wall pens. Can understand tarboltons disappointment as there a team fighting to stay in league but abuse of referee was unjust. Always enjoyed a game at tarbolton , even as a mossblown player !!

Cheers haha

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 21:23, NewBallsPlease said:

Not true pleslie. The majority of leagues have no idea whether referees have paid their fees. I know referees are required to do it, I know failure to do it leads to a debt suspension but I also know that many leagues don't check it out.

For the avoidance of any doubt I am pro referees and the job they do in amateur football (all football in fact) but we have to acknowledge that some do not meet the standards expected. Some are very good referees and will never go beyond amateur games for various reasons. Stevie Nicholls, Davie Somers, Kevin Nolan, Tam Gilchrist, Gordon Kelso are all examples of good amateur referees and spread across various leagues.

Agreed all good refs. Big shortage of quality. Overall standard is poor. Sone are very unfit.

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 21:55, dr lector said:

Last a heard refs were touching £50 a game and also more for Scottish and west matches !!

No its not we pay 40 per game and 36 plus expenses for scottish/west.

Archived