Referees

das scooter boy

They don't get semi-finals or finals because they're  good ffs. It's because who they know. Did you see the state off the ref and assistants that did the Scottish Sunday amateur semi between Dundee and dykehead. I think the central and calley refs have had a poor season this year. 

That's nonsense Harvey. The referees are appointed on merit.

Out of interest, what Central and Caley refs have been poor? I think I'm correct in saying Central referees have been appointed to the East and South of Scotland Cup Finals, an Ayrshire referee has been appointed to the West (Central and Caley wouldn't be considered obviously) a Caley ref done one of the Scottish semi-finals and the Scottish final has yet to be decided (again Central won't be considered).

Doesn't seem a bad season for those leagues.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, NewBallsPlease said:

That's nonsense Harvey. The referees are appointed on merit.

Out of interest, what Central and Caley refs have been poor? I think I'm correct in saying Central referees have been appointed to the East and South of Scotland Cup Finals, an Ayrshire referee has been appointed to the West (Central and Caley wouldn't be considered obviously) a Caley ref done one of the Scottish semi-finals and the Scottish final has yet to be decided (again Central won't be considered).

Doesn't seem a bad season for those leagues.

Opinions. No problem if you think they're doing well. That's good. 

9 hours ago, das scooter boy said:

Too long in the tooth you mean haha
When someone resorts.to personal insults it means they have lost the argument like.your good self
As I said come and say hi at next Shortlees game . Im sure you will receive a great welcome
Kindest regards
Scooter

Am loved in shortlees am born and bread there!!

why what's going to happen when a say hi!!

cause I can guarantee one thing you won't do nothing but want to join my wifi!!

kind regards!!

Just catching up on this. A few points raised earlier in the thread, I believe that it is in the safa constitution that no affiliated league should be paying a referees expense of more than £40. Also any monies that receive at amateur level is an expense, not as has been referred to previously as a 'wage'. Bearing in mind each referee would have to pay approximately £150 a year for kit, petrol to and from games, washing kit, stamps for admin of submitting team lines etc I would think the figure of £26 per hour would be way way off. In fact if you consider they are supposed to arrive 30 minutes before ko, allowing say half an hour travel each direction, even before you allow for any expenses incurred it's around £13 pounds per hour

I don't really read this forum much but this thread caught my eye when I did.

i see the instigator seems to be a man in the know and receiving criticism for it.

well I don't know why as anyone who was a member or lurker fir the past couple of years could see the team was lead by a madman, by his posts on here (for anyone who says it wasn't cunny)(relentless) they obviously have an agenda, or stupid or quite frankly both.anf it was obvious he would end up losing the dressing room if that's his mindset 

the wheels have come off the bus by both shortlees and Glenburn big time.hurlford will win the league now.

relentless (cunny) spoke passionately about taking shortlees back to where they belong (at the top)  ( no laughing at the back) and knocking Hurlford of their perch.now he's stepping down.tut tut at least finish what you set out to achieve

Sorry wrong thread.

point still stands though imo 

6 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Just catching up on this. A few points raised earlier in the thread, I believe that it is in the safa constitution that no affiliated league should be paying a referees expense of more than £40. Also any monies that receive at amateur level is an expense, not as has been referred to previously as a 'wage'. Bearing in mind each referee would have to pay approximately £150 a year for kit, petrol to and from games, washing kit, stamps for admin of submitting team lines etc I would think the figure of £26 per hour would be way way off. In fact if you consider they are supposed to arrive 30 minutes before ko, allowing say half an hour travel each direction, even before you allow for any expenses incurred it's around £13 pounds per hour

Well said, that man.

I always found I was just about breaking even, but at least it got me out on a Saturday afternoon, enjoying a game of footy and away from the wife and the shops.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 21:03, pleslie99 said:
On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 20:26, NewBallsPlease said:
It's true to say that there is no requirement for referees to attend training or even keep abreast of the Laws of the Game. The vast majority of leagues won't even have a clue if their referees have paid their yearly fees. However if this were to be insisted upon their WOULD be a shortage of referees and games would be unfulfilled as a result.

Referees are required to pay their fees prior to the following season otherwise they become debt suspended and are unable to referee at any level. They are also required to attend training and meeting and failure to attend will restrict their ability to progress or referee higher profile matches.
So unfortunately your point about leagues not knowing about referees even paying their fees is false as they are all instructed at the start of the season and during the season as to what referees are registered or not. Any league silly enough to allow unregistered referees to officiate is leaving themselves open for all sorts of accusations

I believe what you say is only partly true. Referees are required to be registered with a their local association and while non attendance at training or meetings will restrict their progress such attendance is not an absolute requirement. I'm sure there are plenty of referees at grass root level who don't attend meetings and training although they will still be registered.

Your point about leagues knowing/not knowing whether their referees registered is entirely correct. In my area (NE Scotland) leagues and associations would have a listing of registered referees. Also, referees are required to note their registration number on  team lines and any reports so if a non registered referee did slip through he/she would probably be identified quite quickly.

4 minutes ago, Northboy said:

I believe what you say is only partly true. Referees are required to be registered with a their local association and while non attendance at training or meetings will restrict their progress such attendance is not an absolute requirement. I'm sure there are plenty of referees at grass root level who don't attend meetings and training although they will still be registered.

Your point about leagues knowing/not knowing whether their referees registered is entirely correct. In my area (NE Scotland) leagues and associations would have a listing of registered referees. Also, referees are required to note their registration number on  team lines and any reports so if a non registered referee did slip through he/she would probably be identified quite quickly.

Not strictly true.  I used to referee but haven't been registered with any league or association for about 5 years.  I still get texts asking me to ref games most weeks due to allocated ref not taking the game (phone number hasn't changed).   I actually did a few last year for shits and giggles and stuck my old registration number on the team lines.  Nothing happened and I got offered two games at the weekend there, took none right enough. 

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Not strictly true.  I used to referee but haven't been registered with any league or association for about 5 years.  I still get texts asking me to ref games most weeks due to allocated ref not taking the game (phone number hasn't changed).   I actually did a few last year for shits and giggles and stuck my old registration number on the team lines.  Nothing happened and I got offered two games at the weekend there, took none right enough. 

Who contacts you - the league/association or clubs?

6 minutes ago, Lex said:

Clubs.

Surely the match Secretary for any league affiliated to the SAFA would not allow a league match to go ahead with one team providing a ref they have obviously had prior dealings with ? Lesving themselves wide open to many accusations if this is the case.

4 minutes ago, Disco30 said:
13 minutes ago, Lex said:

Clubs.

Surely the match Secretary for any league affiliated to the SAFA would not allow a league match to go ahead with one team providing a ref they have obviously had prior dealings with ? Lesving themselves wide open to many accusations if this is the case.

I've has two occasions in juvenile football when the appointed referee has called off late (ie within an hour of kick off). In these situations the home team called the match secretary and we were advised we could play if we could find a mutually acceptable referee. On one occasion we played and on the other we didn't. Decisions were made based upon relation ship between the teams, importance of the match and expectation of scoreline. At least there was the condition that both teams had to agree and we when we did play we had to inform the match secretary about who actually refereed.

If you use a referee that is not registered and player has a bad injury the club insurance would not pay out.

Also if club find out that referee not registered and they got beat the game could be replayed.

As for the match fee 40 pounds not enough for the abuse that referees take during a match.

People are saying that 20 pounds per hour for match, some referees will leave there home 10,11 and not get back till 5,6 for one match. Upkeep of there car, fuel

Stevie Nicholls and Davie Somers two former class one referees, Kevin Nolan, Tam Gilchrist very good amateur referees just to old to go any where

been away for a couple of days so hence the time from my last post most of amateur football think as the referee is on his own the more they shout the more they will get as its blatantly trying to imtimidate the ref strong ones are needed in places like hurlford shortlees maybe even clark drive dut to the antice of a certain coach so why not stay off the refs case and let him or her get on with it think about the short comings of your own team first i say

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 16:59, jaggyness said:

Most leagues ive seen dont have refs arrive half an hour and a lot certainly don't drive for half an hour to a game either, and they shouldn't be paid for travelling time, my work doesnt pay me for my journey there and back, not many jobs will nowadays, refs are no different 

Archived