Motherwell v Dundee, 29/4/17

Who was it that said we'd tighten up at the back with Robinson in charge?

We've conceded some of the most amateurish goals I've ever seen in recent weeks.  The 2nd goal yesterday has to be one of the worst defended goals I've ever seen and what's worse was even though it was scored within a minute it looked on the cards anyway since we came out in the 2nd half in a complete shambles and with a lazy attitude.

Cadden is a disaster at right back and Heneghan should be shown the door in the close season. Soft as shite and thick as f**k. That whole right side of our defence is a joke.  I've tried to defend Samson as he's only part of the problem but yesterday his f**k up has changed the momentum of the game.  Having said that how much space do you give someone to ping in a cross (no one puts pressure on the crosser) and all our defenders react with the speed of fat granddads sleeping in a chair after Christmas dinner.

Frear sits too deep, Bowman tries hard but has no quality and is non league every day of the week and our tactical innovations are pure eye bleeding Rochdale 1985 howitzer ball that we don't even do properly.  If you are going launch balls at least put them into the box instead of trying the hit the corners.  Never even wanted Robinson back at the club in his original position and certainly not as manager. Even if we stay up it will prove to be a big mistake next season.

I said it on Steelmen during the game but even when we were well on top we just didn't seem to have any hunger to win or intensity to our play.  Do the players know where we are in the league? 

As for the officials, they can't even get obvious offside decisions correct never mind anything like a ball crossing the line. You might as well put out malfunctioning robots from Westworld in charge that make complete erratic decisions as they would still be better than the utter incompetent clowns we have right now.  Been going to football since 1982 and I've never seen so many absolutely deplorable decisions as I have this season.

However, that's by the by when you are throwing in comedy goals at the other end. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyed that Motherwell highlights package. Looked like a really good game, albeit somewhat caused by the general incompetence of a variety of people: Samson for the first goal, the horrendous defending all round for the second, and the case where the ball was about 3 feet over the line but not given as a goal. Cracking Dundee support as well and top scenes for their goals down at that end.

Fed up hearing about this "goal" from Henghan.
We were 3-1 up at the time, probably would have just scored a fourth.

Aye its shite when people talk about talking points in a match. It wastes the match threads talking about things that 'happened' in a match.

22 hours ago, LiamDFC said:

If Dumbarton beat the East of Dobbies Dayglo Doon Squad, I'll pocket £8000.

I'll use some of that money to hire a private investigator to locate @Deefiant and bring him to justice.

Enjoy your evening, fellow Dee's. We deserve it.

Thank you.

So, United equalised and I didn't win, but that's okay.

I'd happily swap a win at the bookies for a Dundee win right now. Also, I love Neil McCann. He is like a better looking, humbler hybrid of Jesus Christ and a young Jose Mourinho.

Thank you.

The problem we face as a team is that we will always concede something daft. Samson's lettuce hands and our complete lack of any defenders right now is seeing us sail into the championship.

Tbh I'm not even bothered. We're total horse shit and deserve it for not sorting this decrepit squad out before now.

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Tbh I'm not even bothered. We're total horse shit and deserve it for not sorting this decrepit squad out before now.

Its a shiter, but I'm in the same boat here. In the next 1-5 years, we're going to be relegated. Do it now and be done with it. Get a cannon ordered and start firing the collection of c***s who have chucked it for successive managers at Hamilton.

The problem we face as a team is that we will always concede something daft. Samson's lettuce hands and our complete lack of any defenders right now is seeing us sail into the championship.

Its a shiter, but I'm in the same boat here. In the next 1-5 years, we're going to be relegated. Do it now and be done with it. Get a cannon ordered and start firing the collection of c***s who have chucked it for successive managers at Hamilton.

Very much in the same boat. Unless there's some sort of league expansion imminent then I can only see our season going the same way next year if we stay up, at best it'll be a joyless grind through the fixtures with a few utter maulings against Celtic thrown in for good measure and a perpetual seethe from fans who are raging that we're not finishing 2nd any more.

The standard of our squad really is horrific this season. If it was up to me I'd keep Tait, Cadden, McHugh, Frear, Campbell, Moult & McDonald and get everyone else to f**k. I'd agree with thisGRAEME, we're 100% getting relegated in the next few years so might as well get it over and done with. 

That squad that beat Aberdeen on the last day of the season to finish second must be in some sort of record book as the worst team to finish that high in the league. We had a quite staggering amount of absolute huddies but still managed to grind it out.

I mean, for f**k sake, Craig Reid scored the winner then got a 2 year deal. Something which probably encapsulates Motherwell Football Club in the last couple of years.

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

a perpetual seethe from fans who are raging that we're not finishing 2nd any more.

Fancy a change?  Perpetual seethe about not running away with the Championship would at least have some novelty for the first season.

In fairness to Robinson he came in (as manager) off the back of a 5-1 defeat and a run that saw us concede 17 in the space of 4 games and score 3.

Since then his results have been:

1-2 vs Killie (W)

1-0 vs Aberdeen (L)

1-2 vs St Johnstone (L)

1-1 vs Rangers (X)

0-0 vs Accies (X)

1-0 vs Thistle (L)

4-2 vs ICT (W)

2-3 vs Dundee (L)

So we're F: 10 A: 11.

So in the short term at least the scorelines have been closer (relative to where we were) with every loss having been by a 1 goal margin and a couple of results that could have ended up going for us (specifically the Accies game). Yes, had Boyd not missed the pen the Killie game could have been 2-2 but we really seem to have reverted to type in shipping cheap goals again in recent weeks.

I share the concerns about him long term and the hoofball isn't ideal but it really seems like a case of needs must right now.

From listening to his interviews it sounds like he knows this squad needs gutted and he'd happily launch more than a few into the sun but that's the 2nd game in a row that he's had to deal with individual errors and by his own admission the first half vs Thistle was completely unacceptable.

I've said it before about this side but there's a complacency that defines it and the fact that we're in a relegation fight and the same players are making the same mistakes that McFadden has criticised them for at various points through the season speaks volumes. The goals we're losing aren't because they're shite footballers, we're losing these goals because they're switching off and making the same mistakes repeatedly. It's complacency and an inability to learn from their mistakes. Especially players like Heneghan and, well, Samson has been making these mistakes his entire career.

Ya Bezzer! has a point when he asks whether the players realise their league position. Given their previous, this group of players rolling up yesterday and thinking we'd turned the corner because we beat ICT 4-2 was utterly predictable just as it was when we went up to Dens with Dundee bottom of the league and put in an insipid performance off the back of the 4-1 against County, just as we did in scraping a draw at Firhill having beaten Accies 4-2 the previous week.

Edit: having looked at those results we conceded 6 in Robinson's first 6 games in charge (4 of which were against top 6 sides), we've conceded 5 in the last 2 against (at the time) the bottom 2 sides in the league. I may be reading too much into it but it seems quite telling.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Edit: having looked at those results we conceded 6 in Robinson's first 6 games in charge (4 of which were against top 6 sides), we've conceded 5 in the last 2 against (at the time) the bottom 2 sides in the league. I may be reading too much into it but it seems quite telling.

The most important 'stat' is that we have failed to score in 6 out of 13 matches since the break while keeping 1 clean sheet.  If you can't score in half your games but always conceded then you have a 50% lose ratio right from the start.

As for hoofball, it'd be fine if we had John Fashanu and John Hartson up front and we were actually hitting balls into the box.  What we have are two relative short strikers and what we are doing is shelling balls into the corners.  'Beckhamesque' is not how I'd describe Ben Heneghan's brand of long ball.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The most important 'stat' is that we have failed to score in 6 out of 13 matches since the break while keeping 1 clean sheet.  If you can't score in half your games but always conceded then you have a 50% lose ratio right from the start.

As for hoofball, it'd be fine if we had John Fashanu and John Hartson up front and we were actually hitting balls into the box.  What we have are two relative short strikers and what we are doing is shelling balls into the corners.  'Beckhamesque' is not how I'd describe Ben Heneghan's brand of long ball.

I feel like Bowman might actually be useful if we crossed a ball near him. Instead we just fire aimless balls down the touchline for him to chase. 

I despair.

I'm starting to fall into the familiar trap of thinking relegation wouldn't be that bad, winning more often than we lose,visiting some new grounds, a chance at some silverware etc.

In the real world though,it would almost inevitably be followed by a prolonged struggle a la Falkirk at best and at worst a Dunfermline-esque descent into irrelevance and us fucked financially for a generation.

Archived