New clubs in the East of Scotland

10 minutes ago, perthmo said:

Seemed strange that Letham were rejected by the EOSL when their facilities are every bit as good as those at Craigroyston, Rosyth, Leith Athletic etc.

Still they ended up at Tier 6 in the Midland League as opposed to Tier 8 in the EOSL.  Might well be a Tier above Blackburn next season.

The difference of course is the clubs you named are existing members of the EoS.  Leith are moving to Meadowbank, Rosyth were supposed to be getting a new ground but have ran into problems.  Craigroyston is far better than a 3g cage.

Letham could be technically at a higher level by tier next season, but it may be a while before they obtain an SFA licence to progress beyond it.

A while back someone asked if there were any towns without teams in the East of Scotland League.  I thought Kinross, Portobello, North Berwick and Gorebridge could rustle up a few hundred supporters each if they had teams involved.  Maybe an Ochils Hillfoots team, and maybe Bayside FC too (if they could oust the Swifts, that is).  I was also thinking of Leven because there's a decent size population and they'll be easier to reach with the new rail line next year, but I suppose that's East Fife territory.
Sorry to interrupt.
Gorebridge already has Arniston Rangers.

Dunblane would be another reasonably large town with no club. Think the now folded Sauchie junior team that ran in parallel with the EoS one was run by people from there.

The one possibility that actually seemed to have something happening on this if you go back a few pages was in South Queensferry but the 3G sports hub involved would probably need quite a bit of work so that could take a while.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^lacks the social skills to be able to deal with people who disagree with him in a reasonable manner without becoming personally abusive. Blackburn United's ground is a prime example of how you can combine a 3G community sports hub with an EoS ground. Letham appear to have aspirations to do something similar.

Yet again you get all angry and abusive when someone disagrees with you.

Please seek help as its not normal behaviour for a grown man.

I had heard that Cupar Hearts lost much of their talent to AM Soccer.  Maybe a reason for them not applying.  Although what better way to regain status and attract those players  back than by applying to become the area's senior club.

I had read this article about Bonnyrigg having 300 season ticket holders and an average crowd of 600 or so

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59262898

and thought some of those other places have the population to manage that also with their local teams.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to the folk on here who have persisted in arguing for the development of the senior pyramid.  I am delighted with the way it is working and loving seeing the game being refreshed from the non league upwards.

22 minutes ago, footnotes said:

I had heard that Cupar Hearts lost much of their talent to AM Soccer.  Maybe a reason for them not applying.  Although what better way to regain status and attract those players  back than by applying to become the area's senior club.

I had read this article about Bonnyrigg having 300 season ticket holders and an average crowd of 600 or so

and thought some of those other places have the population to manage that also with their local teams.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to the folk on here who have persisted in arguing for the development of the senior pyramid.  I am delighted with the way it is working and loving seeing the game being refreshed from the non league upwards.

Its the best thing that's happened in Scottish Football. Its brought good freshness to the game and clubs will also find their level in the future. Cove Rangers have been excellent 

5 hours ago, footnotes said:

This was covered on P&B maybe a year or so ago. Cupar Hearts and AM Soccer merged at senior age group level to be known as Cupar Hearts. Presumably they'd apply if they wanted to although some work was needed to the ground a year ago.

Devils lanterns in place, dressing rooms not as distant as was the case with Letham from the railed off pitch so would have potential from a licensing standpoint but some work to do to further enclose in EoS terms similar to the issues Thornton Hibs, Kirkcaldy YM and Inverkeithing HS faced:

https://www.google.com/maps/@56.3220252,-3.027871,3a,75y,223.87h,81.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3LumbkLPtCciYZCOpr-rwQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Have to wonder whether the Midlands League might be more attractive from a travel standpoint given how West Lothian oriented the bottom tier of the EoS is still going to be, but would be a good local derby game for St Andrews United if it ever happened. Think it would have already happened by now if it was going to.

The deadline for applications is the end of this month so it won't be long now before there are some clues as to whether or not there are any potential new clubs.

It would be entirely understandable if the decision to keep the last in-take of clubs (i.e. ex Juniors plus Edinburgh College) tailed off in a bottom division with only one guaranteed promotion spot puts off clubs from outside West Lothian from applying to join a West Lothian division dominated this time around. 

If Cup results are any guide it has also meant that some stronger West Lothian have been held back and the lower divisions of the league will remain, unnecessarily, out of balance as it will take time for clubs to find their appropriate position in the league.

As with most football pyramids,all new ambitious clubs must be able to see a pathway upwards,to keep progressing. Think possibly one years grace to update grounds,and before long a definite two up - across the board. Being more difficult in Scotland is the travelling and whether players want to do that. Interesting to see how many new clubs apply.Exciting times eh.

10 hours ago, Dev said:

The deadline for applications is the end of this month so it won't be long now before there are some clues as to whether or not there are any potential new clubs.

It would be entirely understandable if the decision to keep the last in-take of clubs (i.e. ex Juniors plus Edinburgh College) tailed off in a bottom division with only one guaranteed promotion spot puts off clubs from outside West Lothian from applying to join a West Lothian division dominated this time around. 

If Cup results are any guide it has also meant that some stronger West Lothian have been held back and the lower divisions of the league will remain, unnecessarily, out of balance as it will take time for clubs to find their appropriate position in the league.

The new Third Division will have 3 promotion spots like all other divisions next season.

1 hour ago, never been to scotland said:

Will the Second DIvision be cut to 16 teams the season after next?

No idea, it would be the sensible thing to do though.

For next season we will have 16-16-18-9(plus new entrants), so plenty room to adjust the Second downwards to 16.

3 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

No idea, it would be the sensible thing to do though.

For next season we will have 16-16-18-9(plus new entrants), so plenty room to adjust the Second downwards to 16.

If 18 clubs in Division 3 then that's a lot of fixtures where there are a number of clubs without floodlights. Any prospect of another season of conferences at this level?

6 hours ago, Dev said:

If 18 clubs in Division 3 then that's a lot of fixtures where there are a number of clubs without floodlights. Any prospect of another season of conferences at this level?

The 2019-20 Conferences in the EoS were due to have a 34 game league season. Two Conferences of 12 that played their own Conference twice (11x2) and te other Conference once (12x1) = 34 games.

Plus the Midlands are playing a 36 game season. I doubt they have more floodlights than the 2022-23 EoS Second Division.

16 hours ago, Dev said:

As it stands in the Conferences, 9 out of the 18 clubs will have floodlights in the Second Division, and they are likely to play fewer games in the cups which will balance things out.

Hopefully it does go to 16-16-16-x for season 2023-24, as 5+ relegated to the Third Division will continue to ensure clubs find their level quicker.

Edinburgh City, Hearts and Hibernian are long-standing affiliated members of the East of Scotland FA. Just wondering what hoops they would have to jump through to enter “B” teams in the EOSFL Third Division next season? If the Third Division is to have only 9 teams there might be a case for allowing in one or more B” teams assuming that general ground requirements can be met.  

Recent link: https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/hearts-b-shouldnt-go-straight-23058729