New clubs in the East of Scotland

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Hrmmm... There's no such thing as a licenced ground. Ashfield and Maryhill are junior clubs that as far as I'm aware have never tried to gain SFA membership.

They joined the Lowland League with a 3 year agreement with Ashfield as I've previously linked to.

The fact that the Lowland League and the SFA accepted BSC Glasgow and saw them licensed, suggests to me both Ashfield and Maryville could get a licence if they fancied it.

Have you ever been to those grounds? Neither of them are within a million miles of getting meeting entry level requirements.

I don't know why you keep arguing this. BSC joined the LL without any firm idea how they would get a licensed ground in Glasgow. IMO they put ambition ahead of community. You may disagree. I can't be bothered repeating myself so I'll stop now. 

11 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Have you ever been to those grounds? Neither of them are within a million miles of getting meeting entry level requirements.

A million miles away from meeting entry level requirements and yet...

Maybe seeing is believing

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-cup-matches/?mid=155028

Edited by FairWeatherFan

They moved from Maryhill due to there being too many postponements due to the pitch always being waterlogged from what I remember. The problem with Ashfield is that the pitch is too narrow due to the speedway. Beyond that with the seated stand and fully enclosed ground it would be a natural for licensing.

3 hours ago, Excalibur said:

They did and should be commended for it.  Too many of the old junior brigade sat on their arses doing nothing except ridicule the LL etc.

Who is laughing now?  Only fools in the East wanted to remain junior.  Will be surprised if Bathgate etc don't move next season.

Whilst I broadly agree with the sentiment about the Juniors bad mouthing the LL at the time (Linlithgow being a vocal critic) and of course it's old ground, BSC & Colts had nothing to lose, if it didn't work out then cest la vie, they go back to what they were doing before, youth football and community clubs.

A lot more to lose if you're a Linlithgow Rose and things went wrong, not that it's an excuse that washes with me but worth pointing out, again.  

Sorry if this has been answered already but what is the latest on Edu Sport and BSC Glasgow moving back to Glasgow? Both seem to be keen to move back but is there anything planned?
Edusport are planning something in Strathclyde Country Park iirc

8 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

BSC & Colts had nothing to lose, if it didn't work out then cest la vie, they go back to what they were doing before, youth football and community clubs.

It's an interesting what if. Edusport had the Lowland League on their mind, but moved onto the South of Scotland upon rejection. Could BSC and Cumbernauld have done the same?

15 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
20 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:
Sorry if this has been answered already but what is the latest on Edu Sport and BSC Glasgow moving back to Glasgow? Both seem to be keen to move back but is there anything planned?

Edusport are planning something in Strathclyde Country Park iirc

Aye, they're going to the fireworks.

14 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's an interesting what if. Edusport had the Lowland League on their mind, but moved onto the South of Scotland upon rejection. Could BSC and Cumbernauld have done the same?

I equate it with Spartans move into the Juniors with their Amateur side.  It was a no risk move for them as a club, they hardly put any effort into it frankly and eventually withdrew to first go back to EoS and then back again to Amateur? 

BSC and Colts similarly have no risk, form an adult side and go into the LL, if it doesn't work out then they fold the adult side, give up the ground renatal and go back to what they were doing in youth football. No material loss to the club, no fans or infrastucture to consider.

Most Junior clubs didn't have that "no risk" option open to them at the time and given they are a very conservative bunch, led by donkeys, they decided to keep the LL at arms length.  I just think that it's an issue worth pointing out when someone from BSC say they took "a leap of faith", as if everything depended on it.  Kelty Hearts took more of a leap of faith two seasons ago than BSC ever did.

Edited by Burnie_man

Linlithgow Rose were right not to move to the LL when it was set up, that really should go without saying. It was obviously an economically less viable set-up for them. Few clubs could draw more than double figures to games. It's wrong to see that as snobbery or backward or anything like it. It's only the move with the rest of the ER juniors that makes it the right choice now.

It was easy for a club with no fans and no community to roll the dice, rent a ground on the other side of the country and see how it went. To compare the two positions is crazy.

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

They moved from Maryhill due to there being too many postponements due to the pitch always being waterlogged from what I remember. The problem with Ashfield is that the pitch is too narrow due to the speedway. Beyond that with the seated stand and fully enclosed ground it would be a natural for licensing.

I wondered what the problem at Ashfield was. Very tidy ground now with the work the speedway have done. 

Linlithgow Rose were right not to move to the LL when it was set up, that really should go without saying. It was obviously an economically less viable set-up for them. Few clubs could draw more than double figures to games. It's wrong to see that as snobbery or backward or anything like it. It's only the move with the rest of the ER juniors that makes it the right choice now.

It was easy for a club with no fans and no community to roll the dice, rent a ground on the other side of the country and see how it went. To compare the two positions is crazy.
But then have the Rose truly embraced the move? League results, alongside the SC pumping would seem to suggest otherwise.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

I equate it with Spartans move into the Juniors with their Amateur side.  It was a no risk move for them as a club, they hardly put any effort into it frankly and eventually withdrew to first go back to EoS and then back again to Amateur? 

BSC and Colts similarly have no risk, form an adult side and go into the LL, if it doesn't work out then they fold the adult side, give up the ground renatal and go back to what they were doing in youth football. No material loss to the club, no fans or infrastucture to consider.

Most Junior clubs didn't have that "no risk" option open to them at the time and given they are a very conservative bunch, led by donkeys, they decided to keep the LL at arms length.  I just think that it's an issue worth pointing out when someone from BSC say they took "a leap of faith", as is everything depended on it.  Kelty Hearts took more of a leap of faith two seasons ago than BSC ever did.

The what if I was thinking of was more in relation to how a South of Scotland with BSC Glasgow and Cumbernauld Colts would reshape the West of Scotland feeder argument. Say they took in those two clubs, Edusport might never have moved to Annan for the convienence of the other teams. Maybe Glasgow University would of joined up instead of remaining amateur all these years.  It could of saw a more balanced West/East pyramid, but it doesn't matter as it never came to pass.

What Kelty did will always surprise me.

Just now, kiddy said:
1 hour ago, GordonS said:

But then have the Rose truly embraced the move? League results, alongside the SC pumping would seem to suggest otherwise.

They've the highest goal difference in their conference and only lost one game. League results would suggest they're taking it very seriously.

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:35, GordonS said:

I don't understand how you could say the LL is the "lowest tree possible" when there's the SoS, EoS, Juniors or Amateurs. Bonnytoun, Inverkeithing HS and Gartcairn all have the same origin as BSC, they joined the SoS, EoS and the Juniors respectively. All play in their communities and have invested in their facilities. The LL was literally the highest point at which BSC could have joined.

Does it matter if they joined the LL, SoS, EoS or ammies? They would still need to find a ground (well maybe not in the ammies).

If they joined the SoS but played at Alloa would that be better or worse? Or the EoS? Then not only are they not playing in their local area they aint even playing teams from their local area. If they went to the Juniors would they not be in the East region?

Their only option to remain in a league that catered for their community was the lowland league.

7 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Does it matter if they joined the LL, SoS, EoS or ammies? They would still need to find a ground (well maybe not in the ammies).

If they joined the SoS but played at Alloa would that be better or worse? Or the EoS? Then not only are they not playing in their local area they aint even playing teams from their local area. If they went to the Juniors would they not be in the East region?

Their only option to remain in a league that catered for their community was the lowland league.

They could have rented at one of Ashfield or Maryhill or Pollock or St Ants or St Rochs or Vale of Clyde or Benburb or Glencairn or Glasgow Perthshire or Petershill or Shettleston or Renfrew or Cambuslang. Then they could have joined the Juniors and played local opposition. Or they could have joined the EoS or SoS, though of course this would mean more travel. There are the better part of 100 senior and junior grounds closer to Broomhill than Alloa.

They play in Alloa because they wanted to play in the LL from the outset, needed a suitable ground, and presumably that was the closest ground with a licence that they could afford. Judging by the red dots obviously lots of people are happy with that. I'm sorry for being a stuck record, but I prefer community to that version of ambition. IMO being the third best supported club in Alloa isn't an admirable aspiration.

Just now, GordonS said:

They play in Alloa because they wanted to play in the LL from the outset, needed a suitable ground, and presumably that was the closest ground with a licence that they could afford. Judging by the red dots obviously lots of people are happy with that. I'm sorry for being a stuck record, but I prefer community to that version of ambition. IMO being the third best supported club in Alloa isn't an admirable aspiration.

But they did, originally, plan to play at Ashfield and then did play at Maryhill. Circumstances changed and, for whatever reasons, this is the best they can do.

I doubt anyone is happy about the current arrangement apart from Alloa. I don't think BSC want o be the third best supported club in Alloa.

They started playing at grounds in North Glasgow and then, for whatever reasons, couldn't. At that point should they just have chucked it? Moved to the South of Scotland League?

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

But they did, originally, plan to play at Ashfield and then did play at Maryhill. Circumstances changed and, for whatever reasons, this is the best they can do.

I doubt anyone is happy about the current arrangement apart from Alloa. I don't think BSC want o be the third best supported club in Alloa.

They started playing at grounds in North Glasgow and then, for whatever reasons, couldn't. At that point should they just have chucked it? Moved to the South of Scotland League?

I don't think they ever expected either Maryhill or Ashfield to be licensed.