New clubs in the East of Scotland

31 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

So, what's your point about the HFL? Only one team can go up from the playoff anyway. At the moment I think this is reasonable, given the relative numbers of licenced clubs in each area. Once there's a significant difference in licences in Lowland v Highland areas, then it starts to become inequitable.

We all knew floodlights were going to come in at some point. They're mandatory in the SPFL above. I'd hazard a guess that seats will be next. Why weren't plans being made?

Why does it matter if clubs own their own park? As long as there is a secure lease, what's the problem? Facilities are expensive to build and maintain, it makes sense that maximum use is gained from them.

Fair enough no relegation from the HFL is point I was trying to make ? 

Plans for floodlights on gates averaging less than 100  ? Clubs are more likely to go bankrupt I'd imagine  ? 

More difficult getting funding I think if ye own yer park. 

Edited by newcastle broon

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Obviously none of the clubs outside the Highland League in the north of thr country are bothered about going up either, otherwise they'd have applied.

So you've basically got the same situation in both places.

So if that justifies a pyramid then fair enough  ? 

13 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Fair enough no relegation from the HFL is point I was trying to make ?  

Where would you like these clubs to go? I agree that in an ideal world, the HFL would relegate somewhere, but there's not the mass of interested clubs up here.

If we'd had separate North/South tier 5 leagues created back in the day, then HFL, EoSFL and SoSFL could've stayed at tier 6 and we wouldn't have this issue.

Plans for floodlights on gates averaging less than 100  ? Clubs are more likely to go bankrupt I'd imagine  ? 

More difficult getting funding I think if ye own yer park

Many clubs in similar situations have managed. I'm sure @Burnie_man has referred to funding sources before.

27 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Where would you like these clubs to go? I agree that in an ideal world, the HFL would relegate somewhere, but there's not the mass of interested clubs up here.

If we'd had separate North/South tier 5 leagues created back in the day, then HFL, EoSFL and SoSFL could've stayed at tier 6 and we wouldn't have this issue.

Many clubs in similar situations have managed. I'm sure @Burnie_man has referred to funding sources before.

I could be way off the mark but ww were knocked back for an artificial pitch and floodlights due to owning their park. No grants or funding were made available. As I said it's gonnae be incredibly difficult matching the price tags of floodlights on gates of less than 100 not just for ww but a lot of clubs ? 

Don't know much about Blackburn regarding their resources,they're similar to ww in size, I'd imagine they'd got some sort of grant to get to where they are though  ? 

I'm not singling them out by the way,just stating there are differences between owning yer park and renting  ? 

That's why I am interested  as to who owns what and where funding has come from  ? 

We moved next door to our new ground in 2013, funded mainly by Sports Scotland and West Lothian Council. The floodlights have been there for around 40 years when the pitch was ash, they were refurbished as part of the new development and we were good to go. From the outset way back 10 or so years ago, the efforts to get this off the ground always had one eye on licencing, getting funding in place was a hard slog. Blackburn United Community Sports Club (a registered charity) own the lease to the new ground, plus the old ground (still there but just a pitch now) and two other grass pitches which are all used by the youth teams and Ladies/girls teams. The seniors have priority access to the main (3g) ground as and when required.

4 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

We moved next door to our new ground in 2013, funded mainly by Sports Scotland and West Lothian Council. The floodlights have been there for around 40 years when the pitch was ash, they were refurbished as part of the new development and we were good to go. From the outset way back 10 or so years ago, the efforts to get this off the ground always had one eye on licencing, getting funding in place was a hard slog. Blackburn United Community Sports Club (a registered charity) own the lease to the new ground, plus the old ground (still there but just a pitch now) and two other grass pitches which are used by the youth teams and Ladies. The seniors have priority access to the main ground as and when required.

Thanks and fair play, was licensing  even thought about as far back as 10 years ago though. I thought it was a lot more recent than that   ? 

Thanks and fair play, was licensing  even thought about as far back as 10 years ago though. I thought it was a lot more recent than that   ? 
I have a letter from the SFA dated 2009 with the licencing requirements back then, more basic but had much tougher pitch dimension minimums and also wanted 500 cover! (No different categories like entry, bronze etc)

Who are they bud and  how did you manage it ,do you own yer ground  ? 
They're in England, Leicestershire. They have a long lease on the land. Just 'built' a covered stand for 100. Craned-in. They have two seated stands which both seat 40.

They're in England, Leicestershire. They have a long lease on the land. Just 'built' a covered stand for 100. Craned-in. They have two seated stands which both seat 40.
Non-league step 5.

9 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Earliest references I can see to it on the forum are from Summer 2009 when Livingston were going through their spot of bother. So it was probably introduced around 2007/2008 when the Scottish Cup was revamped.

Grant funding isn't easy, and if you're not part of a community club set-up, or have your own youth set-up, then it seems harder to extract money from Sports Scotland and the Scottish Football Partnership. If you own your own ground then you can probably write-off (significant) Council funding from that source as well.

That said, if lights cost £60/£80k then you're still going to have to fund a significant proportion of that regardless.

3 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Fair enough I still maintain that there should be 2 relegations north and south from tier 5  ?

You can't have relegation from the HFL unless you also have promotion, otherwise in 5 years this league would only have 13 clubs (assuming no club is promoted to, or relegated from, the SPFL Div 2). Also without a north tier 6, these relegated clubs would be outside the pyramid with nowhere to go.

EGM for EoSFL to consider new applicants on 25th April apparently ?

Edited by Robert James
additional question added