Stranraer FC 2017-18

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Our current left back just picked up a serious injury which will keep him out for some time (hence the signing of Dick).

Our defence are fairly solid with some right good experience in there in Barr and Dowie. Hopefully they can help him adapt to the Championship.

He'll do fine with you. The number of times he's saved this team's bacon. 

He's more than earned his chance to play at a higher level. 

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, AyrExile said:

You should also get a reasonable amount of income from participating in the various cups and league. Think the sponsors money that trickles down for a variety of things isn’t too shabby.

Thanks - good shout on that. 

Ok , some digging , 17 k for being last in bet Fred , and despite googling I can’t for the life of me get numbers for the Scottish cup ( not going to be much this year ) or the league number beyond the winners getting 105k , at best half of That 

a swag ( scientific , wild assed guess ) of 80 k Total still leaves us on the breadline 

does anybody have “firmer” numbers , so we , the great unwashed ( even the sparring beefyb and kvz) can get a realistic handle on it , 

It looks like if we don’t do this for ourselves , we will forever be in the dark 

Surely the Committee must be elected from Club Members and annual accounts circulated to those members. Also doesn`t the club have an AGM where the accounts are presented and the members can question the committee before voting to adopt the accounts as a true and correct state of the business. I am a small shareholder of another league One club and all shareholders get the accounts to peruse about two weeks efore the AGM.

6 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

Thanks - good shout on that. 

Ok , some digging , 17 k for being last in bet Fred , and despite googling I can’t for the life of me get numbers for the Scottish cup ( not going to be much this year ) or the league number beyond the winners getting 105k , at best half of That 

a swag ( scientific , wild assed guess ) of 80 k Total still leaves us on the breadline 

does anybody have “firmer” numbers , so we , the great unwashed ( even the sparring beefyb and kvz) can get a realistic handle on it , 

It looks like if we don’t do this for ourselves , we will forever be in the dark 

Betfred - £17,000

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/15386521.SPFL_announces_record_prize_money_for_2017_18_Betfred_Cup/

Challenge Cup - £5,500

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/irn-bru-cup-how-much-8196025.amp

Scottish Cup - £6,000

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-cup-winners-earn-less-10157494.amp

Ladbrokes League One - £63,300 (based on 8th place)

https://stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/celtic/1331865-spfl-sides-to-share-record-21m-prize-money-payout-in-201516-season/

Spoiler

The difference between 3rd and 10th is minimal

Basically £92,000 before gate receipts and shirt sponsor money, advertising in programme, pitchside advertising .  You can just about work out the gate receipts off your average attendance but your sponsor money might be a bit trickier.   

Understand peoples frustration. Think we are all frustrated. Wallace and Dick were two of our biggest earners. so fully expected them to depart. also a fee from arbroath would help even tho it was not very much. in terms of do i think we will stay up. that all depends on who else leaves and who stays. Dick as mentioned above was not same player as last season o a dont think will be as big a miss as Wallace. Only positive a can take from this it will give some under 20 boys a good crack as first team football which many have been shouting for a number off weeks now. Personally a would rather all the players left yesterday that were on big wages rather than have to wait the whole of January to find out what squad we have left. in terms of wages many players will be on £300-£400 a week. with attendances struggling to get over 300 this was always going to happen. Keep the faith blue. 

I spoke with a someone connected to Stranraer  at Somerset on Saturday who adviced me that every player is available if a fee can be negotiated and the conversation indicated  (in my opinion )that this person is responsible to get money for players and to cut wages bill and that he would have the final say  on who went 

On 31/12/2017 at 22:53, beefybake said:

He'll do fine with you. The number of times he's saved this team's bacon. 

He's more than earned his chance to play at a higher level. 

How many times have you seen him play ??

2 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

I spoke with a someone connected to Stranraer  at Somerset on Saturday who adviced me that every player is available if a fee can be negotiated and the conversation indicated  (in my opinion )that this person is responsible to get money for players and to cut wages bill and that he would have the final say  on who went 

Yes that’s that’s the case. Players were asked to take pay cut. They had a vote as that’s what the pfa and unions told them to do and that was thrown out so now the club has to get rid of players to cut costs. So that’s why every player is available to leave. 

Surely the Committee must be elected from Club Members and annual accounts circulated to those members. Also doesn`t the club have an AGM where the accounts are presented and the members can question the committee before voting to adopt the accounts as a true and correct state of the business. I am a small shareholder of another league One club and all shareholders get the accounts to peruse about two weeks efore the AGM.

Yes, to all of the above, and anyone can become a member and find all this out!

Correct. Accounts posted out to members.

Scottish League One at this moment is incredibly tight with Stranraer sitting just 5 points above the relegation playoff (Queen’s Park are winning at the moment.  With all these departures, and more probably to come, I will be amazed if Stranraer don’t slip into that playoff spot.

The last thing the board would’ve wanted after all the news this week is a heavy defeat against Ayr...

3 hours ago, Kingy95 said:

Scottish League One at this moment is incredibly tight with Stranraer sitting just 5 points above the relegation playoff (Queen’s Park are winning at the moment.  With all these departures, and more probably to come, I will be amazed if Stranraer don’t slip into that playoff spot.

The last thing the board would’ve wanted after all the news this week is a heavy defeat against Ayr...

We welcome 'Raer to the relegation struggle. You probably accrued enough points, with your unaffordable players, in the first half of the season, but...

Following on from recent claims that its a downturn in home attendance figures which are behind our current financial problems I thought I would have a look through the stats and make a wee comparison between this season and recent seasons. To date we have played 9 home league matches and here are the attendance totals and averages for this season and the previous three seasons after 9 games. All of these calculations are based on the data from the official website.

2017/18 Total 4896 - Average 544

2016/17 Total 3475 - Average 386

2015/16 Total 4253 - Average 472

2014/15 Total 4158 - Average 462

So based on those stats the attendance figure for leagues matches (which for me would be the bread and butter attendance related income which I would be making projections on as cup run attendance are not guaranteed) has actually went up if anything. Obviously the average went up a bit after today but after 8 matches the average for this year was still on par with the previous best season of the 4 listed and above the other two.

Our attendances in the two fixtures leading up to Christmas this season  were below this season’s overall average but this has also been the case in other seasons. I can however see how the lack of a decent cup run this year would damage our financial situation. Its always a bonus when that happens but for me shouldn't be taken for granted. Those who are saying that league attendances have declined are factually incorrect - yes it would be nice to get more people through the gate but I am sure most will agree that our league attendances haven't plummeted and aren't the reason for our current financial woes. Its not for me to comment on what has went wrong but am glad it sounds like we are reducing expenditure to a more realistic level and hopefully one that can be sustained by our expected regular income.  

Following on from recent claims that its a downturn in home attendance figures which are behind our current financial problems I thought I would have a look through the stats and make a wee comparison between this season and recent seasons. To date we have played 9 home league matches and here are the attendance totals and averages for this season and the previous three seasons after 9 games. All of these calculations are based on the data from the official website.
So based on those stats the attendance figure for leagues matches (which for me would be the bread and butter attendance related income which I would be making projections on as cup run attendance) has actually went up if anything. Obviously the average went up a bit after today but after 8 matches the average for this year was still on par with the previous best season of the 4 listed and well above the other two.
Our attendances in the two fixtures leading up to Christmas this year were below average but this has also been the case in other seasons. I can however see how the lack of a decent cup run this year would damage our financial situation. Its always a bonus when that happens but for me shouldn't be taken for granted. Those who are saying that league attendances have declined are factually incorrect - yes it would be nice to get more people through the gate but I am sure most will agree that our league attendances haven't plummeted and aren't the reason for our current financial woes. Its not for me to comment on what has went wrong but am glad it sounds like we are reducing expenditure to a more realistic level and hopefully one that can be sustained by our expected regular income.  

The average goes up when super Ayr are in the league

5 hours ago, tuckersloan said:

So based on those stats the attendance figure for leagues matches (which for me would be the bread and butter attendance related income which I would be making projections on as cup run attendance) has actually went up if anything. Obviously the average went up a bit after today but after 8 matches the average for this year was still on par with the previous best season of the 4 listed and well above the other two.

Our attendances in the two fixtures leading up to Christmas this year were below average but this has also been the case in other seasons. I can however see how the lack of a decent cup run this year would damage our financial situation. Its always a bonus when that happens but for me shouldn't be taken for granted. Those who are saying that league attendances have declined are factually incorrect - yes it would be nice to get more people through the gate but I am sure most will agree that our league attendances haven't plummeted and aren't the reason for our current financial woes. Its not for me to comment on what has went wrong but am glad it sounds like we are reducing expenditure to a more realistic level and hopefully one that can be sustained by our expected regular income.  

Just because a don’t like maths what was the average before the Ayr United game? 

469 which was still at least on par with previous seasons - for me attendances have been fairly consistent and in line with what you would have expected. For a town of around 10,000 people with a lot of deprivation and the way football is going right across the country the figures aren't a bad as many would have you believe and certainly ain't dwindling.     

Realistically with the breakup of the squad the target for the manager will now be to get to around 40 points to secure 8th position. The games against Forfar and Queen’s Park are going to be very important. If we can take maximum points from these we should be able to stay up.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:32, tuckersloan said:

So based on those stats the attendance figure for leagues matches (which for me would be the bread and butter attendance related income which I would be making projections on as cup run attendance are not guaranteed) has actually went up if anything. Obviously the average went up a bit after today but after 8 matches the average for this year was still on par with the previous best season of the 4 listed and above the other two.

Our attendances in the two fixtures leading up to Christmas this season  were below this season’s overall average but this has also been the case in other seasons. I can however see how the lack of a decent cup run this year would damage our financial situation. Its always a bonus when that happens but for me shouldn't be taken for granted. Those who are saying that league attendances have declined are factually incorrect - yes it would be nice to get more people through the gate but I am sure most will agree that our league attendances haven't plummeted and aren't the reason for our current financial woes. Its not for me to comment on what has went wrong but am glad it sounds like we are reducing expenditure to a more realistic level and hopefully one that can be sustained by our expected regular income.  

The research is good and spot on, the only question I would throw in is are kids included in attendance figures published, I imagine they are but we can't forget that Primary Kids get in free, so if we have more kids attending than before then club isn't making money.

Archived