Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ShortSideCity said:

I seem to remember people saying similar things about Fleming, was a good shot stopper but iffy to come for cross balls and decision making poor with regards to catching/punching. Would you rather have Fleming that Hart despite them being seen to have the same weaknesses?

Reckon Fleming was far worse at cross balls than Hart however the rest of his game was very good for this level. He had a good bit of stature and always felt confident he would stop goals. Early days but just don't see Hart having the same presence. 

Reckon Fleming was far worse at cross balls than Hart however the rest of his game was very good for this level. He had a good bit of stature and always felt confident he would stop goals. Early days but just don't see Hart having the same presence. 

Nah, so far it looks like Fleming is a country mile ahead of Hart in terms of crosses into the box - at times Fleming took them well (the first half of last season he was mainly excellent IMO) I've yet to see Hart deal with any at all. I would say that he looks more reactive than Fleming though with his two stops yesterday and is definitely far better with his feet.

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Nah, so far it looks like Fleming is a country mile ahead of Hart in terms of crosses into the box - at times Fleming took them well (the first half of last season he was mainly excellent IMO) I've yet to see Hart deal with any at all. I would say that he looks more reactive than Fleming though with his two stops yesterday and is definitely far better with his feet.

Fleming was a bit steadier at times last season but what about the one before. You would need to watch boys football to see similar attempts at crosses replicated by other keepers. 

Forrest is a no 10 type striker - whether he is good enough for that role is up for discussion but we established 2 seasons ago that he is not suited to playing wide midfield - doesn't have the pace or defensive capabilities.  Playing him at left midfield just makes it worse.  Feel a bit sorry for the guy as I do think there is a player in there somewhere, but McCall just seems determined to play him in any position except the one he is suited to.

The biggest priority though has to be an experienced centre half.  Higgins and Boyle are decent enough, but Reid and Rose are dreadful.  We once won the league with a 40 year old Henry Smith so maybe we can get away with having a dodgy keeper, but to be fair, Henry had some rock solid defenders in front of him.

Forrest is a no 10 type striker - whether he is good enough for that role is up for discussion but we established 2 seasons ago that he is not suited to playing wide midfield - doesn't have the pace or defensive capabilities.  Playing him at left midfield just makes it worse.  Feel a bit sorry for the guy as I do think there is a player in there somewhere, but McCall just seems determined to play him in any position except the one he is suited to.
The biggest priority though has to be an experienced centre half.  Higgins and Boyle are decent enough, but Reid and Rose are dreadful.  We once won the league with a 40 year old Henry Smith so maybe we can get away with having a dodgy keeper, but to be fair, Henry had some rock solid defenders in front of him.

Reid is dreadful I agree but Rose has been one of our best players this season.

Much improved from last season

Just now, somerset_lad00 said:

Reid is dreadful I agree but Rose has been one of our best players this season.

Much improved from last season

Sorry, but you need to open your eyes on Rose.  We look vulnerable to any kind of high ball into the box.  The truth is the defence hasn't had much defending to do this season, but when they have, we haven't looked good.  Adams was absolutely immense against Kilmarnock, but the Hibs league cup game, the near capitulation against Stranraer last week and yesterday's general ropiness is screaming out to us that something is wrong with that defence.  The punt up the park for the first goal yesterday was the defenders ball all the way but we backed off - Geggan square headed the ball up in the air, but it was Rose who should have attacked it in the first place.  We need leadership and experience, and we need it fast.  The likes of Martyn Campbell, Scott Walker and Eddie Malone had their limitations, but they got the basics right.

I would say that Rose and Higgins are better than the centre backs that got us promoted last time - Murphy, Graham and McLauchlan - remember how slow we were!

In an ideal world we would get another centre half and striker in - can't see us getting either.

To be honest, despite how poor he was last season I would take Scott McKenna - would be a stand out at this level - big and strong, pretty much what we're missing. His rashness far less likely to be exposed.

Easy to look past the fact nobody can do Jamie's job when he is out but him not being there increases the pressure on the defence. The closest option is Geggan and he hasn't done much good in midfield yet.  Reid to centre back and Rose into midfield to do the job he did last year until Jamie is back then Reid back on the bench. 

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Easy to look past the fact nobody can do Jamie's job when he is out but him not being there increases the pressure on the defence. The closest option is Geggan and he hasn't done much good in midfield yet.  Reid to centre back and Rose into midfield to do the job he did last year until Jamie is back then Reid back on the bench. 

Did you actually see Rose play midfield at any point?  He was epically gash.

Was very disappointed with how poor Geggan was in central midfield on Saturday! Wasn't at Stranraer to see.

1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:

Did you actually see Rose play midfield at any point?  He was epically gash.

Yes.  I saw all 3 occasions he started in there.  Two good games (Dunfermline & Dundee United) and one poor one (St Mirren) is my reckoning.  Its not a long term solution i would agree though.  

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Was very disappointed with how poor Geggan was in central midfield on Saturday! Wasn't at Stranraer to see.

Me too, but he has been good in the defence so its not a major concern.  

Personally quite happy to give Hart, Rose, McGuffie, McDaid and even Forrest an opportunity this season in the hope that they can actually improve rather than players that are decent but have probably already found their level (Fleming, McLauchlan, Donald, Cairney etc.). 

Is Hart as experienced as Fleming? Clearly no. Was Rose ready for Championship football last season? Probably not. Should right footed Forrest play on the left? No.

If we don't get promoted or they don't look like improving at the end of the season then so be it. To write some of them off in August is ridiculous.

For me we lost on Saturday because we didn't create anything second half, after shoehorning Geggan into midfield rather than do a straight swap with McGuffie, not because of anything the defence or Hart did.

Yes.  I saw all 3 occasions he started in there.  Two good games (Dunfermline & Dundee United) and one poor one (St Mirren) is my reckoning.  Its not a long term solution i would agree though.  

Hibs at home. Thundergash.

That said, I wouldn't single him out, none of them could get near Doris on Saturday!

Archived