The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be astounded if clubs down there didn't just hand out hefty signing on fees/bonuses to get around it.

Nope, even agents are getting bitch slapped along with it.

image.png.843ea32c38cfdb4ec8a919713e40b73b.png

Edited by djchapsticks

8 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

Screenshot_20200814-143106_Opera.thumb.jpg.9d5becf094a782f8786607587c4b97c5.jpg

Only just seen this! That's a wonderful effort. Really chuffed with our fans. 

Re: competing with English lower Football League clubs, how many can boast 3,200 season ticket holders, I wonder? 

I'd argue that not a lot of teams in league 1 or 2 could compete with most full time Scottish teams on that front, especially when you take into consideration that towns like, for example, Shrewsbury, Rochdale and Southend all have significantly larger populations than towns like Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Perth etc and yet the attendances are very similar indeed.

23 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I think any new striker will from League 1 or 2.

It don't think that there will be much in it, but I think Juventus and Everton might just shade us in the race to sign Piroe. :rolleyes:

https://the4thofficial.net/2020/08/everton-locked-in-a-three-way-battle-for-this-eredivisie-forward-right-fit-for-the-toffees/

I don't believe the interest from Everton is serious

I think any new striker will from League 1 or 2.
It don't think that there will be much in it, but I think Juventus and Everton might just shade us in the race to sign Piroe. :rolleyes:
https://the4thofficial.net/2020/08/everton-locked-in-a-three-way-battle-for-this-eredivisie-forward-right-fit-for-the-toffees/

Maybe but it depends on whether the club/player wants 1st team football or development football.

34 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I don't believe the interest from Everton is serious

27 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Maybe but it depends on whether the club/player wants 1st team football or development football.

You could both be correct.

However unless he's on the flight from Amsterdam into Glasgow tonight, he'll be self-isolating for two weeks.😄

Outstanding start to the season: we could quite feasibly have been on 0 points so far, but we're grinding out wins and, you'd hope, the goals will come eventually.

I am absolutely desperate for Morias (Mor-I-as) to start finding the net; not just as a Saints fan but for the man himself. I reckon he's got goals in his locker and he is clearly getting in the right positions, which is often half the battle. If he can just chill out a bit, the goals will come. Maybe he just needs to bang in an overhead kick, Obika style, to open the floodgates.

I promise I'll stop being so pessimistic now. I'll even stop worrying about the selection headache that playing 4-4-2 causes in the  middle of the park.

Trying not to get too optimistic here as inevitably, in true st mirren style, it will go tits up soon enough (probably starting with Ross Co. on Saturday!) however...

When you consider we still have arguably 2 of our best players, Flynn and Magennis (big year for him) to come back, Cammy only going to improve as the year goes on and potentially a rejuvenated Kyle Mcallister if he stays injury free, couple that with 2-3 more signings (which Jim seems to have a reasonable record of so far) to plug the gaps in the squad and the outlook is pretty damn good if we can stay clear of any real injury problems this season!