The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

On 26/05/2021 at 14:00, Ric said:

No, that isn't the point I'm making.

As for the baggage, aside from his constant cheating on the field, there is the case of him sending unwanted penis pics to young women and him being guilty of placing bets.

Still, as I said, thankfully he isn't coming to us.

Have to agree.

Wouldn't want him anywhere near the club.

32 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Naismith leaving County.

Would be a perfect right wing back in our system.

He would be a great signing, he was tremendous in that position against us when we last played County at home. He would certainly be an upgrade on Connolly for there. I'd have him back no problem, can only hope we'd have similar calibre of player in mind to fill the left back position. 

Fraser is our right back and has been brilliant for us. He’s better than Naismith and Connolly is an attacking player Who i think could be a big hit if he was more direct. Naismith has been here before and no harm to him but I think that ship has sailed 

I don’t actually rate Naismith, granted I haven’t seen much of him since he left us but his passing and final ball was shocking, and would get caught out of position loads when he was with us. Granted he played in a pretty poor side and was pretty young.

However, it looks like Jim is going to persist with 3 centre halfs and 2 wings backs then he could probably play the wing back role effectively as his pace and ability to get up and down the line was his best attributes. Fraser is much better in the back 3 as opposed to the wing back role

Doesn't Bayo's future depend on Toulouse making their way back up the Ligue 1? Not sure if their season is over but I think they are close, a play off perhaps?

As for Naismith, I'm not sure where he'd play, but I wouldn't have an issue regarding him (re)joining us. We either work on a 3-5-2 or a 4-5-1 it seems, that means we either need one out and out right back or a right-central defender and a wing back. Thing is in either a 3 or a 4, I'd take Fraser as first choice. Would Naismith work as a wing back, he might, but then has he got enough attacking nous? I'm not sure. If not then he'll spend some time on the bench, assuming Fraser's performances continue to be as good.

Naismith would not be a replacement for Fraser. On the right depending on circumstances we either use Connolly as a winger or Tait as a wing back. Naismith is a better option than Tait imho as the wing back choice.

22 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Naismith would not be a replacement for Fraser. On the right depending on circumstances we either use Connolly as a winger or Tait as a wing back. Naismith is a better option than Tait imho as the wing back choice.

I think this highlights the slight problem we have, Tait has been very good for us albeit he (to me) looked a bit tired at the end of the season, yet what position should he have in the side with the 3-5-2. As a 4, he'd slot happily into the classic LB role, as a 3 Shaughnessy takes the left centre back position and someone like Durmus would play ahead of him. Obvs, there is a strong possibility that Durmus moves on do we see Tait as his replacement? I'd be loathe to see him sit on the bench as I do think he adds to the squad when on the field but equally I don't see us dropping any of the CB's in order to shuffle him into one of those three. Could he be used as a deep lying midfielder? I think he played the role once when coming on as a sub.

3 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I still want us to sign a proper left back. Not sure about Burke if that is an upgrade on Durmas?

Absolutely not sold on Burke, I have to say. It's not that he isn't a decent enough player at this level, he is very much a short term option that smacks of a lack of ambition, imo.

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

Absolutely not sold on Burke, I have to say. It's not that he isn't a decent enough player at this level, he is very much a short term option that smacks of a lack of ambition, imo.

Depends on his role, can’t see him being signed as a starter. However, player/coach role? I’d say that’s a good option, and hopefully he’s got some ideas to help us improve in the final third.

I don’t think it shows a lack of ambition at all, he’s given us a torrid time when we played them this season.

If he’s being brought in as a player coach which is likely then I think this will be a positive. I’m thinking a poor mans Gary Teale!

3 minutes ago, geo87 said:

I don’t think it shows a lack of ambition at all, he’s given us a torrid time when we played them this season.

A 38 year old winger (he's 38 in December) is not a signal of ambition imo.

As a coach? Who knows, has he done his badges?

I don’t see what his age has to do with our ambition? It’s maybe a short term solution maybe, but not lack of ambition.

No idea about his badges, but seems to be a pretty good professional and has played at a pretty high level, all good things to bring to a relatively young dressing room.

Just now, geo87 said:

I don’t see what his age has to do with our ambition? It’s maybe a short term solution maybe, but not lack of ambition.

Yeah, not for me, none of the Killie players please.

Less than enthused about Burke. 
Yip. Seems to be based on a few performances against us, looked every day his 37 years in the 2 play off games. Also annoys me that we are looking at a 37yo just as Henderson, one of our own developed talents breaks into the team in pretty much the same position.

Depends on his role, can’t see him being signed as a starter. However, player/coach role? I’d say that’s a good option, and hopefully he’s got some ideas to help us improve in the final third.
Where are you seeing the offer of a coaching role mentioned ?