The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Incredible what Magennis has gone through in terms of injuries: 29 starts in the past 3 seasons and has managed the full 90 on just 7 occasions. He had yet another operation just a couple of months ago.

There was much gnashing of teeth when he left but, from a selfish St Mirren point of view, it was a blessing in disguise. Good luck to him for the future as it must be hellish.

8 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Incredible what Magennis has gone through in terms of injuries: 29 starts in the past 3 seasons and has managed the full 90 on just 7 occasions. He had yet another operation just a couple of months ago.

There was much gnashing of teeth when he left but, from a selfish St Mirren point of view, it was a blessing in disguise. Good luck to him for the future as it must be hellish.

Thing is, he deserves a fresh start but need to wonder if the plastic pitch at Rugby Park is the best surface to be playing on for a guy with so many injury issues.

Genuinely wish him good luck and good health in any move though. He should have kicked on and made a success of himself at Hibs.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Thing is, he deserves a fresh start but need to wonder if the plastic pitch at Rugby Park is the best surface to be playing on for a guy with so many injury issues.

That's a good shout. There are obviously lots of different types of plastic pitch, and in turn modern plastic is much better than from before, but if I was someone who had lots of injuries, and even if the evidence wasn't concrete that plastic causes more injuries, I don't think I'd want to risk it.

22 hours ago, meadowroadsaint said:

You are correct, initially not given, but after a Var Check  net inspection the goal was given.

Pretty sure it was versus Albion Rovers.

Me and Glenburn Bud knew it was a goal 😉

In those days as a we boy me and my pals would change ends at HT and always go right behind the goals, some times sitting with our legs through the barriers.  

Remember that McQueen goal well!

It's a real shame for Magennis, honestly felt when he went to Hibs that if he could stay fit and play it would go the same way it did for McLean and McGinn. The fact he's heading to Kilmarnock and isn't even 25 yet is a real kick in the teeth for the boy, who was brilliant for us as a youngster.

It's a risk for Killie, it's one we probably don't have to take. If they can keep him fit I'm sure he'll get excellent for them, but that injury list Random put up is difficult reading.

Hope Magennis can get a run of games, not nice seeing someone struggle with injuries and that record is horrible. A really good player for us when he came through, you'd hope he would kick on like Morgan, McLean, McGinn and others so sad to see how his career has been impacted by injury.

I remember standing listening to Gordon McQueen menacing a Largs Thistle player who was taking liberties with one of our young guys in a McQueen managed St Mirren XI friendly there in 1989, with his opening line being, "Ye widnae fkn dae that tae me No.5".

As an aside, I promise you that Paul Chalmers scored a goal that night that was reminiscent of Marco van Basten in the Euro '88 final. 😃

1 hour ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I remember standing listening to Gordon McQueen menacing a Largs Thistle player who was taking liberties with one of our young guys in a McQueen managed St Mirren XI friendly there in 1989, with his opening line being, "Ye widnae fkn dae that tae me No.5".

As an aside, I promise you that Paul Chalmers scored a goal that night that was reminiscent of Marco van Basten in the Euro '88 final. 😃

Loved Paul Chalmers and was gutted when he left, bought for £20K and sold for £124K so really good value for the club.

7 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Loved Paul Chalmers and was gutted when he left, bought for £20K and sold for £124K so really good value for the club.

Chalmers was one of the few first teamers in the side that night and scored two sensational goals in a 5-0 win. It was just at the time when he was being squeezed out by the signing of Torfason.

Was our main goal threat for a couple of years prior to that. I think he's also the only player I've seen scoring with just his sock on, when he got a goal after his boot fell off at Falkirk.

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

I was on a YTS in 1987 and Paul Chalmers mum organised my placement for me, she was a lovely woman and we spent more time talking about Paul and St Mirren than we did the placement.