The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

On this day...

12th August 1978, Rangers unfurl the league flag having won the treble the previous season. The Copland Rd end had been demolished so the bigoted animals were on the Broomloan terrace with us.

Ally McLean had the game of his life in goal and Bobby Torrance hit the only goal of the game in the 86th minute.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1978&GameID=197808120

I was there and nearly got lynched for cheering with my scarf above my head.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

Fair play to you for getting (what seems) a decent tune out Mandron. Big man was a nice lad but he was complete cannon fodder to free up space for KVV with us.

To be fair he has surprised me. Good control for a big lad and great in the air. 

Excellent first half, and probably should have been further ahead at HT. Second half we looked a lot flatter, but another result in the bag.

Shocking performance from the referee today. Pedantic about the wrong things…pulling St Mirren players back half a yard for throws and booking Hemming for apparently timewasting and yet on the big stuff very poor.

Not seen the Dundee penalty decision back but from the BBC point of view it’s been very soft, which would suggest why none of the Dundee players claimed for it. A good save from Hemming though!

Our one looked as though it should have been a clear dive into handball and yet not even a VAR review.

Suggestion that their goal was a handball, and no on field review. If the VAR team think it’s worth notifying the referee then he needs to at least be taking a look at the video before making a decision.

As for our third goal, sat in the main stand almost in line it looked to have crossed, the BBC say it looked to have crossed, and yet again he doesn’t feel it’s worth reviewing the footage. The other question has to be if the ball didn’t cross the line, was there a potential penalty for Greive?

And finally the foul on Olusanya…the player booked immediately before it and no second yellow? I’d have argued that a reckless challenge with no prospect of getting the ball, and a player otherwise in a one on one position has to at the very least be a booking.

1 minute ago, JimmyMirren said:

Excellent first half, and probably should have been further ahead at HT. Second half we looked a lot flatter, but another result in the bag.

Shocking performance from the referee today. Pedantic about the wrong things…pulling St Mirren players back half a yard for throws and booking Hemming for apparently timewasting and yet on the big stuff very poor.

Not seen the Dundee penalty decision back but from the BBC point of view it’s been very soft, which would suggest why none of the Dundee players claimed for it. A good save from Hemming though!

Our one looked as though it should have been a clear dive into handball and yet not even a VAR review.

Suggestion that their goal was a handball, and no on field review. If the VAR team think it’s worth notifying the referee then he needs to at least be taking a look at the video before making a decision.

As for our third goal, sat in the main stand almost in line it looked to have crossed, the BBC say it looked to have crossed, and yet again he doesn’t feel it’s worth reviewing the footage. The other question has to be if the ball didn’t cross the line, was there a potential penalty for Greive?

And finally the foul on Olusanya…the player booked immediately before it and no second yellow? I’d have argued that a reckless challenge with no prospect of getting the ball, and a player otherwise in a one on one position has to at the very least be a booking.

The referee was pathetic today. Hemming's booking was a joke, the players weren't even in position and he was pulling the card out. It was ironic as the person on the park that wasted the most time was the referee, quibbling over a yard at a throw in. All of that went out the window in stoppage time though.

Agree about Beck, he should've walked. 

As for the goal that wasn't, I've no idea if it was over. Although I'm pretty sure with goal line reviews they don't call the referee to review it.

26 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

The referee was pathetic today. Hemming's booking was a joke, the players weren't even in position and he was pulling the card out. It was ironic as the person on the park that wasted the most time was the referee, quibbling over a yard at a throw in. All of that went out the window in stoppage time though.

Agree about Beck, he should've walked. 

As for the goal that wasn't, I've no idea if it was over. Although I'm pretty sure with goal line reviews they don't call the referee to review it.

Having checked IFAB, it doesn’t seem to clarify whether they should or shouldn’t check it. I think for the fact we sat for a good two mins waiting for a decision if there was any doubt they really should just get him to have a look at it.

I think Sportscene this evening might be interesting…unless of course they just gloss over anything contentious like they usually do to spare the ref’s blushes.

Only 2 games in of course but I can't remember too many seasons that we started well in.

Played 2 and scored 5 goals. Not too long ago scoring 5 goals might have taken 5 to 9 games.

Leaking 3 with Goga at CB. Get Bolton fully fit please.

Worries over losing Carson evaporating fast.

Think we went to defend our lead and invited the comeback. Why not keep going for the 3rd. I know we did in a way, but we did sit in more.

Edited by medals

McMenamin and Hemming were fab today.

Don't know why we got nervous, but hitting in a 3rd would have surely helped and we certainly could have hit 3, 4 or 5.

Still a wins a win.

O'Hara back for next week and hopefully going into the next round of the cup.