The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Another dreadful effort by Jamieson. 
We’ve been pretty shite this half with the exception of maybe the first 10 minutes. 
Pars have made a ridiculous amount of unforced errors and we just haven’t been able to capitalise on any of them. 

Passed me by that you'd signed big Balcombe, when Brentford were in the Championship he was seen as a future number one, was playing regularly for England at youth level, had so much potential. Best of luck to him, he's got a good record at penalties. 

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Another dreadful effort by Jamieson. 
We’ve been pretty shite this half with the exception of maybe the first 10 minutes. 
Pars have made a ridiculous amount of unforced errors and we just haven’t been able to capitalise on any of them. 

I fear for the Lad, I haven't seen much to make me think he has the stuff to be First Team material. I watch all the games, on TV mind you, bar my home game at Dingwall 😉  and would love to be proven wrong. Can't see it though.

I liked the pragmatic approach to street parking around East End Park. They could easily be out with cones and tickets in that setting.

Refreshing compared to some of the garbage we've seen from our council.

Posted (edited)

Maybe my expectations were so low after years of absolutely abysmal pre season game about I quite enjoyed today. With the caveat that I 100% know it's pre season and it doesn't mean much but I thought the new boys all looked promising. Idowu with some lovely touches and quick feet. I said earlier but T looked really good first half. Richard Taylor was excellent and I thought Jaden Brown looked much better playing left than when he was chucked in at RWB last season. The big keeper whilst not making a save looked good with ball at his feet 

Only concerns for me was Scott and Jonah didn't offer much. 

Edited by Stan Bo

5 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Maybe my expectations were so low after years of absolutely abysmal pre season game about I quite enjoyed today. With the caveat that I 100% know it's pre season and it doesn't mean much but I thought the new boys all looked promising. Idowu with the some lovely touches and quick feet. I said earlier but T looked really good first half. Richard Taylor was excellent and I thought Jaden Brown looked much better playing left than when he was chucked in at RWB last season. The big keeper whilst not making a save looked good with ball at his feet 

Only concerns for me was Scott and Jonah didn't offer much. 

Pretty much this but I  felt Scott was trying too hard,  boy just needs to relax but you could see how much he appreciated the fans applause when he went off. Lad must have applauded back 4 times. 

Al in a good enjoyable game, good parking, decent stadium and some really nice touches by a few players, with Taylor and Idowu looking really good 👍🏻 

3 hours ago, meadowroadsaint said:

I fear for the Lad, I haven't seen much to make me think he has the stuff to be First Team material. I watch all the games, on TV mind you, bar my home game at Dingwall 😉  and would love to be proven wrong. Can't see it though.

He is not good enough to be first team yet. He really needs to go out on loan. 

We are crying out for a natural penalty box striker. I hope Robbo can unearth a striker before we play in Europe. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, AW saint said:

He is not good enough to be first team yet. He really needs to go out on loan. 

We are crying out for a natural penalty box striker. I hope Robbo can unearth a striker before we play in Europe. 

Absolutely. 

Nothing to do with lack of creating chances.

As I've posted before, unearthing a prolific striker would make all the difference to us.

Edited by FTOF

23 minutes ago, FTOF said:

As I've posted before, unearthing a prolific striker would make all the difference to us.

What about re-signing that lazy fat waste of space we had on loan from Aberdeen a few seasons ago.

The Robinson post-match interview suggests there's a bit of concern over Kiltie.

The Herald quotes him saying he hopes to have a new defender in at the start of the week and the squad was set before Bolton left - although that could be typical manager nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

The Robinson post-match interview suggests there's a bit of concern over Kiltie.

The Herald quotes him saying he hopes to have a new defender in at the start of the week and the squad was set before Bolton left - although that could be typical manager nonsense.

Hopefully a defender of the same type

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Any thoughts on the new lads from those who made the trip?

Shaun Rooney was a bit daft on a few occasions and should have got booked just before the final whistle for a silly challenge, the lad can clearly play but should be more composed.

Oisin Smyth looked short on match sharpness, physical and tidy enough though.

Ellery Balcombe looked a very good goalkeeper but it was his distribution that stood out, lad can pick a pass.

Roland Idowu was really impressive for his close control and ability to ride challenges and come away with the ball.

Brown and Bwomono both played well and were steady.

Of the youngsters, Lennon played well as did Sutherland, Foster and Urminsky, Fraser Taylor worked really hard but the game passed him by and he looked a little young and slight, Kenny played ok but again didn’t look ready for a start in the 1st team.

The thing I really noticed was Jonah was completely ineffective out wide right and Mandron tried to press but looked shattered.

It was absolutely a training game to get minutes in the players but we still look desperately short of quality upfront.