The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

37 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Hope Valur win, simply because every time I see the name Vllaznia, I want to insert an ‘i’ after the V. 🙃

I'm hoping for the trip to Albania. Cheaper everything and more chance of a match ticket regardless of the ballot 🙂

19 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I'm hoping for the trip to Albania. Cheaper everything and more chance of a match ticket regardless of the ballot 🙂

I'd prefer Iceland, mainly because the heat in Albania will be really difficult to cope with - estimated to be 39 degrees on the day of the game. 

I've had a look at both sides - Valur have got some experienced Icelandic internationalists as well as others with less caps, but most of their team seem to have had some sort of international recognition. They have Sigurdsson, who, when he's not being investigated by the police over child abuse, is still a top player. They also have a Danish striker who has scored loads in Iceland but less in other more challenging leagues.

The Albanians have less international experience but their striker and captain has 48 caps and seems to be their main goal threat. Their team is mainly made up of Albanians but they also have a couple of Brazilians who've both played for loads of wee clubs in different countries. They also seem to have a lack of experience in goal.

I think it'll be a fixture where both teams will win their home game, and the outcome will depend on who wins more convincingly on their own patch. I'd probably say Valur are slight favourites as they are likely to be a bit sharper given they are well into their season.

Edited by Hendo

7 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I'd prefer Iceland, mainly because the heat in Albania will be really difficult to cope with - estimated to be 39 degrees on the day of the game. 

I've had a look at both sides - Valur have got some experienced Icelandic internationalists as well as others with less caps, but most of their team seem to have had some sort of international recognition. They have Sigurdsson, who, when he's not being investigated by the police over child abuse, is still a top player. They also have a Danish striker who has scored loads in Iceland but less in other more challenging leagues.

The Albanians have less international experience but their striker and captain has 48 caps and seems to be their main goal threat. Their team is mainly made up of Albanians but they also have a couple of Brazilians who've both played for loads of wee clubs in different countries. They also seem to have a lack of experience in goal.

I think it'll be a fixture where both teams will win their home game, and the outcome will depend on who wins more convincingly on their own patch. I'd probably say Valur are slight favourites as they are likely to be a bit sharper given they are well into their season.

I think the main thing that concerns me about Iceland is the capacity the stadium holds, means that we will get most likely no more than 150-200 tickets, whereas Vllaznia play in a 16k stadium and average crowds closer to 5k.

Looking at the ticket availability on the general sale, it looks like loads of STHs must’ve bought their seats which is great.

West and Main stands have very limited availability, with the Family Stand having a fair bit.

North stand still greyed out so presumably they haven’t come to a decision on that one yet. 

29 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I think the main thing that concerns me about Iceland is the capacity the stadium holds, means that we will get most likely no more than 150-200 tickets, whereas Vllaznia play in a 16k stadium and average crowds closer to 5k.

The other team from Reykavik had 810 watching their Champions League qualifier the other night - if Valur have similar we still might get 400 - 500 tickets which might be enough.

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Looking at the ticket availability on the general sale, it looks like loads of STHs must’ve bought their seats which is great.

West and Main stands have very limited availability, with the Family Stand having a fair bit.

North stand still greyed out so presumably they haven’t come to a decision on that one yet. 

Less than 200 available now in the West and Main stands.

Might be wrong but I think that the 88 seats in M9 (Family Stand end of the Main Stand) are being held for the handful of away fans.

I remember the American that Valur have up front scoring for fun in the Eridivisie. Saw they had that sex pest Siggurdsson too. 

6 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Wonder if there's any chance of a stream of the game. Would definitely like to watch it.

Several of my usual sources have it listed but whether it's actually broadcast come the time is another matter.

As much as I thought CBM definitely improved last season, I’m surprised his performances were deemed good enough to have generated this much attention. 
My view was that he’d likely improve even more this season to the point that he’d create interest for next close season or January at the earliest. 
I guess other clubs are seeing the same potential. 
No doubt his international caps would’ve helped get him noticed too. 

Div posting on X we will only get 80 tickets for the away leg if Valur get through. Hope that's a pessimistic estimate, the Icelandic people seem like a relaxed, decent sort so I'm sure we can persuade them to let us all in.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Div posting on X we will only get 80 tickets for the away leg if Valur get through. Hope that's a pessimistic estimate, the Icelandic people seem like a relaxed, decent sort so I'm sure we can persuade them to let us all in.

Think that’s just based on the minimum requirement for away allocation. I’m sure there would be plenty more if needed. 
I still hold the view that if more than 200 people max travel to Iceland at a week’s notice, I’ll be astonished (and impressed). Let’s see how it pans out.