The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I can't believe we're back on this already.

You're not a better or more deserving fan because you attend more away games than someone else. I live a 2+ hour round trip from Paisley but attend every home game and a handful of away, should I be ahead of someone else in the queue because of that? Not a chance.

We're not big enough for a points based system just because we've qualified for Europe once in 4 decades and occasionally struggle for tickets at Tynecastle.

10 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

Do you think SMISA membership should come into the equation as well?

Nope. I’m not a SMISA member but I go home and away every single week - no chance should not having a sub to them exclude people like me.

39 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

I understand that the club wasn’t prepared for this but with games at Tynecastle now also much sought after I do think that fans who go every week should have an advantage over a season ticket holder who’s never been out of paisley . So if you go online buy a ticket then it should be logged and that should count for games like this. As people say once in a lifetime games as it’s been 37 years waiting. I’m not annoyed with anyone lucky enough to be going but when I see people who are there every single week not going and people who are home fans only going it does make me feel it’s a little unfair. This isn’t the fault of the fan it’s the club who clearly never expected this thing to ever be an issue 

Get over yourself.

There are many reasons why fans don't go to away games that are out with their control, like myself.

I did attend away games in the past, but no longer have the time to do so.

We can't all be "super fans"

4 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Nope. I’m not a SMISA member but I go home and away every single week - no chance should not having a sub to them exclude people like me.

As should not being able to attend away games exclude anyone from being in the ballot.

I'm signed up to SMISA, but that shouldn't ever give me preference over any St.Mirren supporter when it comes to situations like this.

22 minutes ago, Road Dogg said:

I can't believe we're back on this already.

You're not a better or more deserving fan because you attend more away games than someone else. I live a 2+ hour round trip from Paisley but attend every home game and a handful of away, should I be ahead of someone else in the queue because of that? Not a chance.

We're not big enough for a points based system just because we've qualified for Europe once in 4 decades and occasionally struggle for tickets at Tynecastle.

So, basically you’re saying we’re just a jumped up wee team, who should know our place and not have any aspirations of becoming something bigger.

Glad you’re not involved in running the club. 

I bet you laughed at Tony when he said we should be a top6 team and going on away trips to Europe. 

Surely we should be looking to put something in place for this situation happening again, even if it isn’t needed very often. Would that not just be good planning. 

Tickets were not the issue this round and there is every chance that the problems with logistics preventing many going to Iceland will re-emerge depending on who we draw. There is a double chance it's Norway and Finland would be every bit as difficult (possibly more so) than Iceland has been. Sweden wouldn't be cheap either.

As was predicted after the draw it looks like anyone that actually wanted to go to the game in Iceland will be able to go assuming they have the time, money to do so. Ticket allocation isn't the main issue and won't be again in the next round if we even get that far.

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

I understand that the club wasn’t prepared for this but with games at Tynecastle now also much sought after I do think that fans who go every week should have an advantage over a season ticket holder who’s never been out of paisley . So if you go online buy a ticket then it should be logged and that should count for games like this. As people say once in a lifetime games as it’s been 37 years waiting. I’m not annoyed with anyone lucky enough to be going but when I see people who are there every single week not going and people who are home fans only going it does make me feel it’s a little unfair. This isn’t the fault of the fan it’s the club who clearly never expected this thing to ever be an issue 

You would be surprised by the number of season ticket holders who don't live in Paisley I know fans in Wemyss Bay, Largs , Gourock , Greenock ,  Kilbirnie, The guy who has a season ticket next to me lives in New York and makes 2 / 3 games a season. I made around 5 games last season. Worked at sea for over 20 years always kept the season ticket on even though  could only make a handful of games.  A number of season ticket holders can't make many games so why are they season ticket holders. Me personally it's about supporting the club. Also a member of SMISA, 1877 club, St Mirren TV.  Season ticket holders should always be first in a ballot just like they can buy their seats for cup game. I'm not saying season ticket holders are better than none season ticket holders . 

2 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

So, basically you’re saying we’re just a jumped up wee team, who should know our place and not have any aspirations of becoming something bigger.

Glad you’re not involved in running the club. 

I bet you laughed at Tony when he said we should be a top6 team and going on away trips to Europe. 

Surely we should be looking to put something in place for this situation happening again, even if it isn’t needed very often. Would that not just be good planning. 

That's quite the leap you've made there. 

34 minutes ago, Road Dogg said:

No. Not really 

Of the teams we could draw Hajduk, Legia and Brann would prove no issue given their capacity. Tromso or Finland would be a repeat of Iceland in virtually every aspect and we Hacken have a capacity smaller than us.

20 minutes ago, FTOF said:

As should not being able to attend away games exclude anyone from being in the ballot.

I'm signed up to SMISA, but that shouldn't ever give me preference over any St.Mirren supporter when it comes to situations like this.

Absolutely.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Of the teams we could draw Hajduk, Legia and Brann would prove no issue given their capacity. Tromso or Finland would be a repeat of Iceland in virtually every aspect and we Hacken have a capacity smaller than us.

I’m praying it’s not Hajduk. 
I was in Split last year and passed the Poljud several times thinking how cool it would be to go there for a Saints away European tie. 
I cannae make the next round though, so if I cannae go, I’ll be fucked if anyone else is getting to go. 😄😄

The club decides on who gets 1st dibs for any game. Season tickets are sold with the incentive that they will get you preference when it comes to a ticket allocation situation, always have been and that isn't going to change. Why would the club stop giving preference to those who pay up front in advance thus providing them with a big chunk of their income for the season over folks that go to away games which puts money directly into our opponents. We all know how you get preference,  the club has always been up front about that so why the wailing after the event. 

I say all of the above without comment on it's effectiveness but it was well known that ST purchase has been incentivised like this for years.

5 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m praying it’s not Hajduk. 
I was in Split last year and passed the Poljud several times thinking how cool it would be to go there for a Saints away European tie. 
I cannae make the next round though, so if I cannae go, I’ll be fucked if anyone else is getting to go. 😄😄

Yeah seen it from outside myself. Split is a brilliant city, would be fantastic in every aspect bar the probable humping.

4 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

No. Not really 

46 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

Do you think SMISA membership should come into the equation as well?

If I were to try and twist your words to suit a rubbish narrative I'd be looking at this and assuming you believe SMISA members are better supporters than non SMISA.

But I'm better than that. 

You just did. 

Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh, and for that I apologise. 

However, we are club on the up over the last few years (since fan ownership) and I see no reason why we won’t be in this position again. I’m not saying we will be in Europe next year, hell, we might not even be top 6, as I think it’ll be a much stronger league this year. But is it not just good business to have a system in place that’s fairer than the random draw we’ve just had. 

As for SMISA, I am a member, not particularly active, but I believe in fan ownership. I do not consider myself better than anyone else because of this, in fact, there are many fans more deserving of a scarce ticket than me, because they go every week, home and away and I don’t.
 I was gutted not to be successful in the ballot, as I said in a previous post, but these situations will hopefully be more frequent in the future and we should have a fairer system for ticket allocation than what is currently in place. 

I have no issue with Season Ticket holders getting first refusal of tickets – it was the case many moons ago for away ties at the likes of Rangers, Celtic and Hearts. Likewise with cup finals, I am sure ST holders always got first dibs on them, so I always assumed that would be the case.

Full disclosure, I no longer have a season ticket , I'm not a member of SMISA following everything that happened the last couple of years, and have no interest in joining the 1877 Club. However, I have probably only missed about 20 games since the Championship, purchase strips every season etc. I have zero issue regarding there being a ballot that I am still excluded from.

Where I do have an issue is I think the club have been a bit behind from the get go. Communication has been poor regarding the tickets, and the SMISA situation regarding tickets was a huge own goal at the very beginning. I also think it was very poor that those 'unsuccessful' in the ballot didn't receive an email to say so. Having no option to apply for two tickets is also a bit disappointing, it could have been done that two ST holders applied together, this would have allowed for father and son, or pals, to apply together. Instead you now have a situation where one pal gets one and the other doesn't and hands his back, only for his pal to then get a ticket in the re-ballot.

Also, the fact that the club is appealing for sponsors for the home game shows how behind the curve we are. We are in Europe for the first time in a long time, we should have been ramping up our commercial side this summer.

Gripes about getting to an away tie in a European competition.....

Must surely be the ultimate "as-good-as-it-gets" being a St Mirren fan.

Bookmark for once we've been pumped by Valur and head into September still to register a league win!

41 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

The club decides on who gets 1st dibs for any game. Season tickets are sold with the incentive that they will get you preference when it comes to a ticket allocation situation, always have been and that isn't going to change. Why would the club stop giving preference to those who pay up front in advance thus providing them with a big chunk of their income for the season over folks that go to away games which puts money directly into our opponents. We all know how you get preference,  the club has always been up front about that so why the wailing after the event. 

I say all of the above without comment on it's effectiveness but it was well known that ST purchase has been incentivised like this for years.

^^^ This. I’m a long time season ticket holder, which means zero in regard to being a more loyal or ‘better’ fan than anyone else. I don’t go to away games at all these days. As has been said, there will be fans who aren’t ST holders, but go to tons of away games…. Plus everything in between. PATG fans, a few games here and there fans, SMiSA members, non SMiSA members, corporate hospitality fans, whatever. When it comes to those odd occasions where the club have to look at ticket allocation, I don’t know what they can do that they wouldn’t get pelters for. I don’t buy my ST for the fact I will likely get a ticket for cup finals or Valur type scenarios. I buy it for convenience, the early bird discount helps, and to sit in the same seat with the same folk every game. I really don’t know what the club are supposed to do. I get it with the Scotland international team, where a travel club thing exists and the support is made up of fans from all sorts of club sides.

Anyway, gie’s a shout when the Wroclaw Final briefs are up for grabs - ST holders first please. 🙃