The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

28 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

750 will be plenty for us. It will be financially and logistically every bit as difficult or harder than Iceland was.

Spot on. Bergen will be slightly easier and cheaper to get to than Iceland, but IF we qualify and that's where we're headed then the prices will quickly rocket same as they did in this round. Once you get there it will be similar prices to Reykjavik, if not more expensive.

Netherlands far easier to get to via far more routes, and less expensive when there (I assume).

I've booked a £25 one way flight to Gatwick on the 14th as it opens up loads of cheap(ish) routes to both. If we don't qualify I'll just burn it.

15 minutes ago, Div said:

Spot on. Bergen will be slightly easier and cheaper to get to than Iceland, but IF we qualify and that's where we're headed then the prices will quickly rocket same as they did in this round. Once you get there it will be similar prices to Reykjavik, if not more expensive.

Netherlands far easier to get to via far more routes, and less expensive when there (I assume).

I've booked a £25 one way flight to Gatwick on the 14th as it opens up loads of cheap(ish) routes to both. If we don't qualify I'll just burn it. Cognac VSOP is another easy seller to double your money. 

Was employed out of Norway for 25 years making lots of trips over there. Should you go Norwegian beer gives a hellish hangover stick to Carlsberg trust me on that.  Average cost in a pub is £12. Used to take a bottle of malt over easy to sell and double your money . Norwegian customs are strick so don't take more than your quota.  If you like seafood your on to a winner. I hope it's the Netherlands just so much easier to get to. 

21 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Was employed out of Norway for 25 years making lots of trips over there. Should you go Norwegian beer gives a hellish hangover stick to Carlsberg trust me on that.  Average cost in a pub is £12. Used to take a bottle of malt over easy to sell and double your money . Norwegian customs are strick so don't take more than your quota.  If you like seafood your on to a winner. I hope it's the Netherlands just so much easier to get to. 

an old friend of mine got 4 weeks in the tin pail in norway for having a bit of hash-enough for two joints

best bit was he didn’t even know he had it with him 😂 

12 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Now sold out for Thursday. Great to see.

How does it work with gate receipts in Europe? Does the home side keep them or are they split like in cup games here?

Anyone know where the additional tickets in the Family Stand that went on sale this morning came from? We were supposed to have been sold out over a week ago?? I assume they have now sold out? (Don't know how many there were?).

21 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Anyone know where the additional tickets in the Family Stand that went on sale this morning came from? We were supposed to have been sold out over a week ago?? I assume they have now sold out? (Don't know how many there were?).

I presume the allocation for the away fans wasn't sold out, so they've sold off the unsold tickets..

Ignore that pish.

Maybe there were some free tickets that weren't taken up.

Edited by FTOF

18 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I always assume when the club announces tickets are sold out it means all those available at the time have been snapped up. No harm in keeping a few back to announce "last few available" thus sparking the scenes we saw this morning and the subsequent excitement and publicity it generated. Afe old marketing ploy.

I'm guessing there's still going to big spaces in the North Stand mind you. 900 tickets sold to home fans and that tweet yesterday suggested we're only expecting about 70 away fans. So over 500 empty seats. That a fair bit of segregation. 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Whoever this Ranaldo Bairn fud is they sure don't like B team football.

Don't cry, whoever you are.

You are correct about my opinion of B teams.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

15 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

The whole not letting fans mix is pretty rare throughout Europe. I've been to umpteen matches all over Europe over the years when not a supporter of the club whose section I was sitting in, it was never going to be an issue imo. It might prove to have been our last chance,  most I spoke to there weren't willing to take a chance there will be another round. All about individuals risk assessments I suppose, no wrong or right answer here. Let's hope we all get the opportunity again after Thursday. 

I think the Netherlands is one the countries where there is zero tolerance of fans mixing. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if there is a block on people who are not already registered with the club to buy tickets in the home end.

But otherwise what you are saying I think is mostly correct.

On 30/07/2024 at 14:14, Div said:

Sigurdsson was visibly upset trudging off the pitch in Iceland after the game. One of the Valur coaches went to console him as he walked towards the stand and said coach then stuck the middle finger up at the Saints fans 🤣

Either way it's a boost to us if he's not playing.

The more I read about this sordid case the more I want St Mirren to absolutely pump Valur...if Sigurdsson is so precious then he should've been more judicious in his personal life.

On a side note, I've seen ÍA Akranes, Breiðablik and Valur all at Pittodrie and the latter was the least memorable... although I do have a soft spot for  ÍA Akranes.

45 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

The more I read about this sordid case the more I want St Mirren to absolutely pump Valur...if Sigurdsson is so precious then he should've been more judicious in his personal life.

Is there a reliable source for what actually went on?

All I can I see, officially, is that there was a 2 year investigation / travel ban. No action was taken against him though and he left the UK. There was even some talk about Sigurdsson suing the authorities.

Just now, Buttocks Brown said:

Is there a reliable source for what actually went on?

All I can I see, officially, is that there was a 2 year investigation / travel ban. No action was taken against him though and he left the UK. There was even some talk about Sigurdsson suing the authorities.

Best we just concentrate on the game here no ? Especially given he won't even be here.