The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

Van Veen, 13 games for Killie, 0 goals 1 assist. Nein Danke

I know the numbers are poor but I would be surprised if those 13 games were more than 180 minutes combined.

He clearly wasn't fit at Killie and add that to the fact Watkins and Vassell were absolutely superb for the 2nd half of the season I think the issue was McInnes couldn't give him enough minutes to get match fit. With only Olusanya really firing for us this season I think KVV wouldnt have an issue getting in our team.

All depends on the finances for me as a fully fit (if that's possible) KVV is probably as close to guaranteed double figures in goals as we could get.

Getting this in early doors, setting my stall up early doors, etc…

1. Entirely ‘meh’ about the possibilty of Buddie Good Food Van Veen maybe signing for us.

2. If he does sign for us - great signing. Robbo’ will get a tune out of him. Back the guy, see how gets on. COYS.

3. Put kettle on.

Regarding KVV, it's worth noting that a few Motherwell fans did partially credit Mandron for creating space for KVV to work in when he went on his mental scoring run so there may be a (not very pacy) partnership in the waiting there.

The manager is in a difficult position. The midfield has fallen apart with injuries and a Ryan Jack when fit would probably be what is needed. However, once those players come back from injury thats a heck of a lot of Central midfielders. O'hara, Jack & Fraser i think would be a great midfield three. I seen he is training with motherwell which seems a bit more than sitting in the stand for us for 1 match. 

Toyosi is our no1 striker at the moment, and i dont think theres even a close 2nd at this point. If you look at the stats over the past 5 or 6 matches or so, its Mandron thats probably lacking on paper which i didnt expect to see. He doesnt have a goal or an assist this season. Hard to see us bringining in another striker and not moving on Mandron or Ayunga.

10 hours ago, AW saint said:

He is training with Motherwell but that says nothing really

Apparently he has been training at Motherwell's training ground, but not with them. Training on his own at their facilities it seems.

As for van Veen, my mind hasn't changed since the last time we were supposedly in for him. Good addition to the squad if we get him, but not worth breaking the bank for.

He had a 9 month long spell at Motherwell where he was playing like prime Batistuta. Aside from that, every metric looks fairly average.

I wouldn't exactly be thrilled to push the boat out for a 33 year old who has scored 5 goals in the Dutch 2nd tier in the last year. If he's not on a ridiculous wage that he was rumoured to be after the last time we tried, then it might be worth a punt. Otherwise, it's a no from me.

The way I see any deal for KVV is can he get us top 6 football again? 

If he can then its worth bringing him in. 

I haven't yet seen a proper rumour about him but it is now widely reported about Phillips. I am still not convinced this rumour is true. 

Who knows if we will get KVV. He will be a gamble if we get him.

Aberdeen interested in Kevin Nesbit, Sidibeh etc. Would be good to be fishing in that pond. 

Just now, AW saint said:

The way I see any deal for KVV is can he get us top 6 football again? 

If he can then its worth bringing him in. 

I haven't yet seen a proper rumour about him but it is now widely reported about Phillips. I am still not convinced this rumour is true. 

Who knows if we will get KVV. He will be a gamble if we get him.

Aberdeen interested in Kevin Nesbit, Sidibeh etc. Would be good to be fishing in that pond

That's the benefit of selling a player for nearly £7m unfortunately.

Sidibeh would be a fantastic signing. What a pick up he was for St. Johnstone but apparently the rumours of a £500k release are not true though and even at that, it's not a release we could ever meet. 

29 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Regarding KVV, it's worth noting that a few Motherwell fans did partially credit Mandron for creating space for KVV to work in when he went on his mental scoring run so there may be a (not very pacy) partnership in the waiting there.

That's a bit of a push but not untrue, we needed " a body" up front with KVV it was blatantly obvious he needed someone to play off. Mandron happened to be that guy and although he's done really well at St Mirren I think a lot of 'well fans thought he was just a body, he wasn't great.

26 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Will this still break Motherwell fans on Twitter or are they happier now he's a bit shit?

I have no doubt some folk will still moan but I don't think many will. 

6 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

That's a bit of a push but not untrue, we needed " a body" up front with KVV it was blatantly obvious he needed someone to play off. Mandron happened to be that guy and although he's done really well at St Mirren I think a lot of 'well fans thought he was just a body, he wasn't great.

I have no doubt some folk will still moan but I don't think many will. 

Did a search for Van Veen/St Mirren today to see if there were any firm rumours. This came up as the top result. Shows how quickly things can change: this guy was despairing about the prospect of us getting KVV while you were stuck with Bair. This was late Jan/early Feb. 😲

Screenshot_20240820-063150.png

I would be very tempted to take Van Veen if the finances are sensible.

Kille were flying last year and he didn't look fit but the prospect of him delivering even a fraction of the goals he scored during his golden season at Motherwell would surely put him well in contention with what we've already got.

I was hoping we would bring in someone in an attacking position that had some pace as an alternative to Olusanya. 

I don't think Van Veen would be a bad signing, though I also don't believe he is worth throwing a tonne of money at either.

We desperately need to recruit in midfield with a shortage through injuries and style of players, so Phillips would be a welcome addition.

If we are in the market for another striker, I'm sure someone would need to move on permanently or on loan.

Edited by smellthepaw

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Did a search for Van Veen/St Mirren today to see if there were any firm rumours. This came up as the top result. Shows how quickly things can change: this guy was despairing about the prospect of us getting KVV while you were stuck with Bair. This was late Jan/early Feb. 😲

Screenshot_20240820-063150.png

Fitba fans eh?

8 hours ago, AW saint said:

KVV would fit imo. He would be a perfect foil for Olusanya. 

Would Robbo go back in for him though after he chose Killie. 

His fitness would be an issue perhaps?

By all accounts his attitude at Killie was dreadful but there might be reasons behind that I suppose.

In the article by Scott Burns about signing Philips, it says that if we further strengthen the squad then Young players will be going out on loan. 
I hope this doesn’t include young Sutherland & Fraser Taylor who deserve to be in the first team squad.

32 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Sidibeh would be a fantastic signing. What a pick up he was for St. Johnstone but apparently the rumours of a £500k release are not true though and even at that, it's not a release we could ever meet. 

Closer to £1m than £500k apparently. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Closer to £1m than £500k apparently. 

Seriously, good on St. Johnstone and I hope they get that for him. He was probably pretty low outlay and low risk financially but given the state you were in on the park back in January, a definite gamble and he's looked more than the part.

10 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

In the article by Scott Burns about signing Philips, it says that if we further strengthen the squad then Young players will be going out on loan. 
I hope this doesn’t include young Sutherland & Fraser Taylor who deserve to be in the first team squad.

Hard agree. 

8 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Agreed....both of whom have demonstrated significantly better delivery into attacking areas than some of our more experienced players.