The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

13 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Surprised at that tbh. I wouldn't have said Levein had spent more than £1.5bn.

If anything he's been too open with us this season.

14 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Wasn’t CBM called up to the NI squad?

I thought he was, but he hasn’t featured in either of the matchday squads. 🤷‍♂️

Probably injured again.

4 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Wasn’t CBM called up to the NI squad?

I thought he was, but he hasn’t featured in either of the matchday squads. 🤷‍♂️

Hope he is not injured. Would be typical. To be honest I would rather our players were fit for league games. 

On 08/09/2024 at 00:02, Torfason said:

Great player in his day.

Didn’t he have some interesting shoe moments?

Yep...Jobby Mccall didn't earn that nickname for nothing.

Stainrod apparently claimed his shoes grew 2 sizes after wards but I'm dubious! 

Edited by hk blues

1 minute ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Falkirk fans had a great song about it. 

We had one at Dens -

He's blue, he's white,

He fills your shoes wi shite,

Ian Mccall, Ian Mccall.

Maybe similar with Falkirk?

33 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

FFS, what is it with footballers and shitting in places? John Potter shat in a pumpkin while at Saints. It's not clear whose the pumpkin was, or why it was available to him to shit in.

Lee Mair’s pumpkin I believe which makes it absolutely fine - an absolute helmet of a man.

1 hour ago, SS77 said:

Lee Mair’s pumpkin I believe which makes it absolutely fine - an absolute helmet of a man.

It’s where he got the inspiration to sell Herbalife.

On 07/09/2024 at 06:39, djchapsticks said:

Pep Guardiola's tactical approach has honestly killed top level football as a spectacle for me. Creativity and genuinely exciting players at that level have been replaced with mindless possession machines who will pass the ball sideways rather than run at a man.

Ball retention takes precedence above anything else.

Came on here to have a look at the van Veen chat and this caught my eye.  Absolutely bang on the money.  I remember watching the Man City v Arsenal game towards the end of last season.  Both teams fighting for the title and the played out the most boring 0-0 I've seen in years.  Two Spanish c***s reducing the game to 22 robots doing what has been programmed into them.  

Don't get me started on the stupid practise with defenders taking goal kicks to the goalkeeper to then launch it 60 yards.  Had to watch that with McKenna & Angus Gunn. Infuriating, especially when the shite goalie just launches it back to the opposition anyway.

Going back to van Veen, it really depends on what his heid is like. There's no doubting he's a quality player but expecting him to get anywhere near his last season at Motherwell is bonkers.  His career shows that he'd never done it before but more importantly, KVV knew himself he was playing for the big contract that was coming his way.  Motherwell weren't going to stand in his way and he wanted that big contract to set himself, his partner and the baby that was on way, up. 

Going back to the Netherlands was good for him financially, but not great personally as his missus and newborn stayed in Scotland.  He'll certainly be happier being in Scotland with his family, but KVV without something to aim for?  It'll be interesting to see from afar but I wouldn't have the hopes too high.  He'll certainly be far better in a front two, however, and he obviously has a bit of experience of playing alongside big Mandron.  

4 minutes ago, Desp said:

Came on here to have a look at the van Veen chat and this caught my eye.  Absolutely bang on the money.  I remember watching the Man City v Arsenal game towards the end of last season.  Both teams fighting for the title and the played out the most boring 0-0 I've seen in years.  Two Spanish c***s reducing the game to 22 robots doing what has been programmed into them.  

Don't get me started on the stupid practise with defenders taking goal kicks to the goalkeeper to then launch it 60 yards.  Had to watch that with McKenna & Angus Gunn. Infuriating, especially when the shite goalie just launches it back to the opposition anyway.

Going back to van Veen, it really depends on what his heid is like. There's no doubting he's a quality player but expecting him to get anywhere near his last season at Motherwell is bonkers.  His career shows that he'd never done it before but more importantly, KVV knew himself he was playing for the big contract that was coming his way.  Motherwell weren't going to stand in his way and he wanted that big contract to set himself, his partner and the baby that was on way, up. 

Going back to the Netherlands was good for him financially, but not great personally as his missus and newborn stayed in Scotland.  He'll certainly be happier being in Scotland with his family, but KVV without something to aim for?  It'll be interesting to see from afar but I wouldn't have the hopes too high.  He'll certainly be far better in a front two, however, and he obviously has a bit of experience of playing alongside big Mandron.  

To be honest, I think most people's expectations on here are pretty well managed.

From my perspective, I am not expecting anything like the Van Veen of that season at Motherwell. If he can be a 12-15 goals a season man, I'll be absolutely delighted. Any less is a meh and anything more will be an absolute bonus.

48 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

To be honest, I think most people's expectations on here are pretty well managed.

From my perspective, I am not expecting anything like the Van Veen of that season at Motherwell. If he can be a 12-15 goals a season man, I'll be absolutely delighted. Any less is a meh and anything more will be an absolute bonus.

If both he and Toyosei can hit double figures then we will be in a good place. 

Robbo has a habit of getting the best out of players. I am sure he can help KVV find some form.