The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 minute ago, AlbionSaint said:

Brophy can score, but admittedly has been far from prolific. I don't think Dennis or Erwin have had much of a chance this season. I don't rate Main, to be honest.

Animal on BAWA:

Surely that cannot be true? Please, someone tell me that's not true. We're in our first season of fan ownership and we're gambling on a top-six finish?

The club have repeatedly said they budget for an 11th place finish every season.

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

The club have repeatedly said they budget for an 11th place finish every season.

Indeed! That's for prize money though, surely? Could they have been anticipating bigger crowds, or more money from other revenue streams? Is Animal just mixing with his 'Fibble' stuff? I certainly hope so.

1 minute ago, AlbionSaint said:

Indeed! That's for prize money though, surely? Could they have been anticipating bigger crowds, or more money from other revenue streams? Is Animal just mixing with his 'Fibble' stuff? I certainly hope so.

I wouldn't think so. A budget would account for all known revenue streams eg prize money, TV money, sponsorship, ST sales etc. This will be the "11th place" budget.

Last season should have resulted in a profit given the McGinn money, reaching both cup semis, 7th place in the league etc.

11 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Brophy can score, but admittedly has been far from prolific. I don't think Dennis or Erwin have had much of a chance this season. I don't rate Main, to be honest.

Animal on BAWA:

Surely that cannot be true? Please, someone tell me that's not true. We're in our first season of fan ownership and we're gambling on a top-six finish?

I don't know the guy, but from what little I've seen, I've got animal pegged in the 'roaster' category. That said, I think it's reasonable that we may need to cut back because crowds have been disappointing this season.

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I wouldn't think so. A budget would account for all known revenue streams eg prize money, TV money, sponsorship, ST sales etc. This will be the "11th place" budget.

Last season should have resulted in a profit given the McGinn money, reaching both cup semis, 7th place in the league etc.

That's what I meant. My point is the '11th place budget' can only be certain of the prize money. We had a shirt sponsor that pulled out at the last minute, which resulted in reduced sales, if BAWA is in anyway credible, so that's two revenue streams in which we might be coming in under budget. If attendances are down and we're paying staff five-figure redundancy payments (BAWA), then who knows?

I'm still paying into SMISA and will happily continue to do so, as I feel the club needs a reserve of some sort should we experience financial difficulties. It's still early days, and I don't trust the motivations of many of those who're attacking Kibble, however at the same time I worry that there might be problems behind the scenes of which we're unaware.

Thank heavens for Celtic's habit of scoring very, very late:

1366320595_Screenshot2021-12-1521_52_40.png.440c4544031305d02c85c076a2809977.png

That must have stung the County fans a wee bit.

Edited by AlbionSaint
Removed errant apostrophe

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

So late that there were actually only 6 minutes of added time.

One positive from the BBC report:

Anthony Ralston's 97th-minute header rescued a dramatic Scottish Premiership victory for 10-man Celtic against Ross County in Dingwall.

The injury-hit visitors led through stand-in striker Liel Abada but looked set to drop six points behind leaders Rangers after Jack Baldwin turned home a second-half corner.

Let's hope Sunday's a blood bath, replete with bookings, dismissals and reckless challenges which adds to Celtic's woes. Presumably there could be extra-time, too?

I'm considering a Boxing Day trip to Ibrox...but £29 seems a bit steep. :( 

https://www.stmirren.com/away-matchday-information/4211-ticket-info-rangers-v-st-mirren-26th-dec

9 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Normally yes. You just need to look at the experience and numbers in the squad to see the budget is bigger than previous seasons at least that's my view. 

Also this is the first season under the SMISA/Kibble partnership. Who's to say that they've not been less prudent?

52 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Normally yes. You just need to look at the experience and numbers in the squad to see the budget is bigger than previous seasons at least that's my view. 

The club allegedly took around £1M of the SG's interest free loans which are payable over the next 20 years.

That's £50k a season.

Every season there is someone on B&WA saying we are losing a fortune and about to go bust. They all tell us to wait for the accounts, then when it turns out they were talking shite, they go quiet for a wee while, then start it up again the next time we go through a bad run of results.

For some reason we are never "financially fucked" when we happen to be winning.

5 hours ago, GAD said:

Every season there is someone on B&WA saying we are losing a fortune and about to go bust. They all tell us to wait for the accounts, then when it turns out they were talking shite, they go quiet for a wee while, then start it up again the next time we go through a bad run of results.

BAWA's full of mischievous trolls who seem to like to cause trouble. There's constant feuding, bickering and point-scoring... 😂

7 hours ago, GAD said:

Was that not the line Demented Zebra left with us before changing his profile and spontaneously combusting?

I know we always say this, but the upcoming window will be a major one for us. We will be losing some players, perhaps a handful, and it's very possible McGrath will be part of them. Some of those players were bought when Goodwin was playing with a flat back 4, now we play 3 and it's clear the squad, as it is, doesn't fit the formation/strategy he wants to play, so perhaps a revamp of the squad is needed if he is to continue with that.

The problem for me is Covid/Brexit regarding foreign players, the domestic market being too expensive for us to shop in and our near neighbours across the Irish Sea have seen their talent pool targetted by other British clubs suffering the same issues resulting in 'lesser known gems' like McGrath all the more difficult to bring in.

Edited by Ric

3 hours ago, Lola montez said:

Was that not the line Demented Zebra left with us before changing his profile and spontaneously combusting?

Indeed it was but that's not why I changed my name. Isle Of Bute Saint, Lochwinnoch Saint,  Saints On Line- Red Saint. Anything else you want to to know ? 

Is anyone expecting a lot of demand for the Rangers tickets on Boxing Day? I won't be able to get to the ticket office until next week and just wondering if, being Boxing Day, there will be a rush for them? I'm guessing, given our current form, there won't be, but just wanted to see what folk thought.

14 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Is anyone expecting a lot of demand for the Rangers tickets on Boxing Day? I won't be able to get to the ticket office until next week and just wondering if, being Boxing Day, there will be a rush for them? I'm guessing, given our current form, there won't be, but just wanted to see what folk thought.

Used to go to most away games not now though. Will go to cup away games . After our chairman's tweets be careful he has pissed off a lot of their fans . 

8 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Used to go to most away games not now though. Will go to cup away games . After our chairman's tweets be careful he has pissed off a lot of their fans . 

Aye, I forgot about that. The whole thing is a non-incident in my opinion, but both the Old Firm seem to compete for victim status nowadays, so they lapped it up. "John Needham actually wanted to see kids drowning in the Clyde, just because they support the Rangers...the wee bigoted p***k! He should've got the jail!" 🤣

I rarely go away, to be honest, but it being Boxing Day and around three miles away, I fancy it. Plus Rangers really need the money. Ibrox is actually easier to get to for me than St Mirren Park.