The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I admit I did get my hopes up there briefly but I'd be abit more miffed with it if I was actually aware of what kind of player he is, what he's good at etc. He looks tidy on the ball with good energy and physicality, but I'm not sure what it is in particular that he's supposed to be good at?
Someone on Hibsnet said a mix between Magennis and Scott Allan, which sounds a little too good to be true. 
McGrath is an excellent player however Jim's shite formation and tactics this season has seen McGrath and Ronan largely bypassed which was madness. Last season when we actually used a midfield and Jamie excelled seems to have been forgotten about.

McGrath has a good engine; reads the game well and is a good passer. But when you have Curtis Main playing in front of you it's a waste of time.

I would say Jamie is more a number 8 than a 10 playing not directly behind a 9 but being the playmaker. Great player in the right position.

Tomorrow will be interesting. I will drive McGrath down south if he wants. The situation is beyond a joke. Looking forward to see who comes in. 

Yeah fingers crossed he leaves. Him hanging about for a three months before leaving on a Bosman is not in anyones interest. Some numbers for the season:
McGrath: 22 games 3 goals (1 of which was a pen) 1 assist,
Ronan 17 games 4 goals 2 assists
Kiltie 17 games 1 goal 5 assists
Henderson 10 games: 1 goal 2 assists
The numbers speak for themselves, McGrath leaving just won’t be that big of a deal. He’s our least productive attacking midfielder this season. Get him out and use the money to get someone who wants to be here in. Jordan Jones would be an excellent signing.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

He's certainly not that good. Your summary is decent. He's incredibly tidy on the ball, and outstanding at working in tight spaces. His work rate is outstanding. Of course, he will improve in a better team.

Beyond that... Greg Kiltie is a better number 10, and I'm not just saying that. If we keep McGrath for the rest of the season, Kiltie will outscore and out-assist him.

Have always thought Killie was decent, has end product that so many don’t .

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Yeah fingers crossed he leaves. Him hanging about for a three months before leaving on a Bosman is not in anyones interest. Some numbers for the season:
McGrath: 22 games 3 goals (1 of which was a pen) 1 assist,
Ronan 17 games 4 goals 2 assists
Kiltie 17 games 1 goal 5 assists
Henderson 10 games: 1 goal 2 assists
The numbers speak for themselves, McGrath leaving just won’t be that big of a deal. He’s our least productive attacking midfielder this season. Get him out and use the money to get someone who wants to be here in. Jordan Jones would be an excellent signing.

Why do fans do this? The need to talk down talented players simply because they're leaving?

Why are you using assists anyway? Maybe hes played more beside Curtis Main while Kiltie has had Brophy? Would that not affect their assist figures?

Even this season McGrath tops your xA per 90 figures and only Tanser is higher for total xA, a better gauge of chances they're creating than assists. Hes by miles your best player, statistically, if you simply look at the amount of his passes that lead to shots. Hes comfortably your best midfielder in terms of xG per 90 and total xG. Hes your best midfielder in terms of progressing play, both in terms of passing and running, again comfortably.

Like by all means say you don't like him and think Kiltie fits the squad better, but he will quite clearly be a loss and quite clearly is better than Kiltie. 

Why do fans do this? The need to talk down talented players simply because they're leaving?
Why are you using assists anyway? Maybe hes played more beside Curtis Main while Kiltie has had Brophy? Would that not affect their assist figures?
Even this season McGrath tops your xA per 90 figures and only Tanser is higher for total xA, a better gauge of chances they're creating than assists. Hes by miles your best player, statistically, if you simply look at the amount of his passes that lead to shots. Hes comfortably your best midfielder in terms of xG per 90 and total xG. Hes your best midfielder in terms of progressing play, both in terms of passing and running, again comfortably.
Like by all means say you don't like him and think Kiltie fits the squad better, but he will quite clearly be a loss and quite clearly is better than Kiltie. 
f**k you're boring

Just now, Biscuits said:
4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

f**k you're boring

He is that, but on this occasion he's correct. 

I prefer to deal in actual numbers rather than woolly open to interpretation ‘expected’ numbers. Actual numbers are what get you points, and those are the actual numbers. Kiltie has assisted more and scored the same amount of goals from open play in the last three games as McGrath has all season.
We’ve been good for McGrath and McGrath has been good for us. He was another great find by our manager.
However, it’s certainly in both parties interest that he leaves tomorrow and I hope he does. We will be just fine without him.

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

I prefer to deal in actual numbers rather than woolly open to interpretation ‘expected’ numbers. 

Yeah, you can do that I guess, but don't then claim that they're proof of creativity.

One of Kilties "assists" was his pass to Ronan for his goal against Aberdeen. Intrigued to hear how he created that goal.

Yeah, you can do that I guess, but don't then claim that they're proof of creativity.
One of Kilties "assists" was his pass to Ronan for his goal against Aberdeen. Intrigued to hear how he created that goal.

It was a great run and cut back into a fantastic area. McGraths only assist was a straight five yard pass before another Ronan wonder strike, also against Aberdeen.

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

McGraths only assist was a straight five yard pass before another Ronan wonder strike, also against Aberdeen.

Yes, and thats why I wouldn't use assists to gauge how creative a player is being. It relies almost entirely on the quality of player they're passing to.

McGrath sets up more chances than anyone else in your side.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I know the saga is getting tiresome now but I'd love to see Jamie see out his contract because it's so rare to watch someone with his ability in a St Mirren shirt. That lob against Livingston had me grabbing hold of people jibbering "What a goal! What a goal!" like a lunatic. On Tuesday night, there was a moment on the touchline where he dropped his shoulder to turn Scott Brown inside out, ghosted past him whilst Brown was doing his best not to fall on his arse. Sheer joy. Maybe I'm just a football romantic but I'll take a few more of those touches of class over £150K. 

30 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

27 years old and 7 different clubs on his CV maybe suggests that none of those clubs were desperate to hold on to him.

Just saying. 

What are you saying? That Killie weren’t gutted when he left, that Sevco don’t snap up players and loan them out, that being sent on loan twice when he was a youngster at Middlesbrough makes him a problem player? 

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2013–2016 Middlesbrough 0 (0)
2015  Hartlepool United (loan) 11 (0)
2015  Cambridge United (loan) 1 (0)
2016–2019 Kilmarnock 97 (11)
2019–2021 Rangers 10 (1)
2021  Sunderland (loan) 20 (3)
2021- Wigan Athletic 9 (0)
National team
  Northern Ireland U19    
2017– Northern Ireland 12 (1)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:03, 7 November 2021 (UTC)
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 00:25, 31 May 2021 (UTC)

Edited by Torfason

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You’ve got a fucking cheek, all you’ve done is talk down Scott Tanser because he chose not to sign a new contract with St Johnstone. 

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Remember you had a massive hard-on for months thinking st Johnstone was signing Kiltie?

Britney Spears Lol GIF

3 minutes ago, Saint Shug said:

You’ve got a fucking cheek, all you’ve done is talk down Scott Tanser because he chose not to sign a new contract with St Johnstone. 

Did I?

Tanser was poor defensively for us and lost his place for a reason, he then chucked it because he was told he'd have to compete for a starting spot. I've always been fairly clear I think hes one of the best attacking wing backs in the division.

3 minutes ago, McG said:

Remember you had a massive hard-on for months thinking st Johnstone was signing Kiltie?

Where have I said I think Kiltie is poor?

I think Kiltie is good enough for a side battling for the top half but also think hes nowhere near as good as Jamie McGrath, especially over a season. 

You'll realise what you had when its gone.

McGrath and Kiltie could easily play in the same team. I never saw Kiltie as a direct replacement.

McGrath has played a dozen times in Europe, won a League, won 3 Cups and has 6 caps this season yet some fans want him out. Fickle eh?