The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

15 hours ago, Uncle Scan said:

What bit did Fitzy not make it

Played regularly and was only sold as he had resell value Bristol were desperate for the money.

80 odd games in two seasons for them , a first-team regular !

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Finally, a wee 7 day break for the players after a hectic and pretty amazing three and a half weeks: wins against Dundee Utd, Ayr, Aberdeen, Hibs, St Johnstone and Kelty along with the Motherwell draw. Very close to 7 straight wins.

Cannae beat football when your team's doing well!

McCarthy and Tanser back in contention, and Brophy back soon-ish too. Here's hoping Rangers and Celtic draw each other in the next round: nobody else will fancy playing us.

22 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

We were fortunate to get Fitzy back at the time, as Sir Govan had him earmarked for a move to Aberdeen. 

Celtic as well but he wanted to go to Aberdeen.

We only got him back because Fergie really wanted Peter Weir and it was his transfer fee that enabled us to buy Fitzy

I’d like to see us give Greive more of the ball to feet, his link up play and holding up of the ball is excellent. 

He’s deceptively strong and gives bigger and more physical defenders a hard time. 

What a difference to have a proper striker who is not only dynamic but has that instinct of being in the right place. 

Early days for him but nonetheless he’s got all the tools to make it.

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

I’d like to see us give Greive more of the ball to feet, his link up play and holding up of the ball is excellent. 

He’s deceptively strong and gives bigger and more physical defenders a hard time. 

What a difference to have a proper striker who is not only dynamic but has that instinct of being in the right place. 

Early days for him but nonetheless he’s got all the tools to make it.

Scouts already sniffing about yesterday , we need him tied up quickly !

15 minutes ago, billyg said:

He's on an 18 month deal, although I'm still unsure if that is a loan or permanent. If it's the former, I presume that allows them to recall the player then sell them on if there are any decent bids.

20 minutes ago, billyg said:

I’m not surprised, he’s going to get better with every passing game. I just hope we get to see him for a couple of years before the inevitable move if he does progress.

He’s a joy to watch and reminds me of a young Frank McGarvey.

Yeah. If we want him on a longer deal we're going to have to move pretty damn quick to nail it down.

The guy is only going to get better, he's still raw in places but runs the channels and can hold up play far better than anyone expected at this point. That's only going to improve too.

The question is, are the board and/or Goodwin equally keen on doing a deal now? It's certainly the best time for us to do it as, you'd imagine, the finances involved at this stage would be limited. If he hits a little goal streak, that'll certainly pump up his value.