The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He's left footed. He plays wide right as inverted winger more often than not.

Hopefully we can get the deal for him sorted with an improved offer that suits Glentoran. 
I would imagine they are looking for 100K plus add ons.

I presume this involves Brophy, and if so, I honestly don't know how we come out of this deal without our fingers burnt.

Decent enough player on his day, but certainly not good enough for a "Goodwin all-in" strategy with the wages. Nobody will touch him without some serious incentives and he's clearly not going to go on his own volition - and to be fair, why should he, he was offered a contract and took it.

4 minutes ago, Drooper said:

All the way to Dingwall!

Popular player, had a successful impact on loan last season… knows the league and the manager well…  Woodward and Bernstein don’t exactly have their work cut out on this one.  Or perhaps it’ll be Stevenage or whichever team misses out on Fletcher.  

12 minutes ago, Ric said:

I presume this involves Brophy, and if so, I honestly don't know how we come out of this deal without our fingers burnt.

Decent enough player on his day, but certainly not good enough for a "Goodwin all-in" strategy with the wages. Nobody will touch him without some serious incentives and he's clearly not going to go on his own volition - and to be fair, why should he, he was offered a contract and took it.

He did well for Ross County, before his injury, and I'd imagine he'd be desperate to sign for them, given the noises he was making about the change of scenery.

A no brainer really.

All parties satisfied.

Getting Brophy out a good deal, Fletcher in might not be.

He was publicly being played through injury during games last season and in some was struggling to move by the end.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Getting Brophy out a good deal, Fletcher in might not be.

He was publicly being played through injury during games last season and in some was struggling to move by the end.

Think he was injured last few games of the season but Utd were in such desperate straits that they had to try and play him. Still managed 4 goals in the last 9 games after Goodwin came in though 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, FTOF said:

He did well for Ross County, before his injury, and I'd imagine he'd be desperate to sign for them, given the noises he was making about the change of scenery.

A no brainer really.

All parties satisfied.

He could love the Dingwall coast all he wants, but he wouldn't walk away from a contract, and no matter who is coming in for him, aren't going to offer the reported wages he is on with us.

I understand his desire to get a clean break and maybe start over, but he managed less to play in less than half the games during his loan time. Curtailed by injury, of course.  If someone like County want to take him on then it's best for all parties as you say, but again, I don't see how we benefit financially from this, it has to be considered at least in part as a write off.

7 minutes ago, Div said:

Hilariously, it seems we may even get a small fee for the Wolf 😂

ngl, that is genuinely crazy. If true, whoever is doing the negotiations on our side is the equivalent of Obi One telling the stormtroopers that these aren't the droids they are looking for.

Edited by Ric

Just now, Ric said:

He could love the Dingwall coast all he wants, but he wouldn't walk away from a contract, and no matter who is coming in for him, aren't going to offer the reported wages he is on with us.

You'll be very, very surprised then.

Can see why some are excited at the idea of bringing Fletcher in as, with luck, he could get on end of crosses etc. But will he actually be able to play a countering game and has he got the legs to be in the box if we are breaking at pace?

I think I would be wary of placing all eggs in one basket tbh, and would see Brophy as a salutary lesson which we should learn.

It also doesn't exactly scream "the future!"

Even if we might not get quite as many goals out of such a player, I would prefer any monies in to be used to offer Main (or a similar player) more. We might even have something left for another depth player to cover another position or something.