The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Believe the club are actively trying to recruit to replace Shaughnessy as we're still a CB down on numbers from last season.

We’ve got the same number of CBs going into this season as we did at the start of last season.

Richard Taylor didn’t arrive until 1st Jan and effectively replaced Erhahon (with Gogic switching between defence and midfield). 

Boyd-Munce has since been added to replace Erhahon. We also have Kenny coming through now. 

If we sign another CB (without 1 leaving), then I’ll run the Paisley 10k wearing full full St Mirren gear including boots and shinguards! 

24 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

We certainly don’t need another CB, we’ve got 4 out and out CB’s already plus Gogic and young Kenny.

So we've got 4 CB's for the 3 positions. Left, right and centre.  Suspensions and injuries last year (Declan G missed a fair No. And he is our primary central CB) showed having Joe was pretty much essential. So he will be replaced.

Kenny won't be the primary backup. 

Goga is much better in midfield.

Edited by medals

9 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

We’ve got the same number of CBs going into this season as we did at the start of last season.

Richard Taylor didn’t arrive until 1st Jan and effectively replaced Erhahon (with Gogic switching between defence and midfield). 

Boyd-Munce has since been added to replace Erhahon. We also have Kenny coming through now. 

If we sign another CB (without 1 leaving), then I’ll run the Paisley 10k wearing full full St Mirren gear including boots and shinguards! 

Taylor was direct backup for Dunne and was coming in regardless due to our lack of left-footed centre half cover.

Kenny may end up being taking place in the squad but we ARE looking to cover the space in the squad left by Shaughnessy.

The key part there that you are omitting is that we still need to actually improve the first XI to progress. The defence is not better than it was at the end of last season, it's actually worse as we are now an experienced head down. I'd be astonished if Robinson isn't looking at the squad and fully admitting that the centre of defence is somewhere that needs not only reinforcement but someone who is going to come in as first choice. Kenny isn't that guy.

Edited by djchapsticks

52 minutes ago, Lowrie83 said:

You got 10k for him and a 10% sell on fee.

Not even close.  Not hard to work out we overpaid for Brophy in order to facilitate Henderson, but not by that much.  

But it’s not my money.   Uncle Roy made his millions not by throwing it down the drain.  

5 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Same as we had going into last season plus Gogic 

But we added 1 in January and we were stretched in that last quarter, and had to play Joe who we will be replaced..

Your not taking this on board this despite 3 folk telling you.

We need to kick on and be less vulnerable. 

Edited by medals

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Taylor was direct backup for Dunne and was coming in regardless due to our lack of left-footed centre half cover.

Kenny may end up being taking place in the squad but we ARE looking to cover the space in the squad left by Shaughnessy.

The key part there that you are omitting is that we still need to actually improve the first XI to progress. The defence is not better than it was at the end of last season, it's actually worse as we are now an experienced head down. I'd be astonished if Robinson isn't looking at the squad and fully admitting that the centre of defence is somewhere that needs not only reinforcement but someone who is going to come in as first choice. Kenny isn't that guy.

I’m not missing the “key part” at all with regards to improving the defence

Your post that I replied to talked only about being down in numbers, which I disagree with.  While this post is taking about replacing a squad CB, which, again, I disagree with as Taylor and Boyd-Munce take us back to exactly the same position as we were in at the start of last season:

Taylor - Shaughnessy

Boyd-Munce - Erhahon

If we are truly looking to improve our defence then the key part is to find someone better than the guys who were regulars last season - hence why my previous reply had the caveat that I don’t think we’ll sign another CB unless 1 leaves.

18 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Hope so, you bunch of diddies are on par with the Morten.

Thank you.

Speaking as a neutral I wouldn’t class Dundee as a bigger club than St Mirren or vice versa.

Both clubs wish they were Kilmarnock.

1 minute ago, Captain_Sensible said:

the caveat that I don’t think we’ll sign another CB unless 1 leaves.

Ok that's your opinion but we will sign another CB.

The hope is he will be better rather than simply a squad player but he may be like Taylor and take this season to cement a place for next season.

7 minutes ago, medals said:

But we added 1 in January and we were stretched in that last quarter, and had to play Joe who we will be replacing...

Your not taking this on board this despite 3 folk telling you.

We need to kick on and be less vulnerable. 

The fact that 3 others are telling me something is irrelevant! I can think for myself! 

We added on 1 Jan but also lost Erhahon

We now have Boyd-Munce which frees up Gogic for defence

The only way we can kick on is by signing someone better than we already, which would be great! I’d be delighted with that!

But I don’t think we’re short on numbers and I don’t think we’ll sign another CB without 1 leaving!  No point on signing more squad players who aren’t any better then we already have! 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

One of the things that amazes me is how fans completely disregard any youngsters coming through

On one hand fans bang on about wanting youth to be given a chance and yet, on the other, they want the squad filled up with new signings, even if they aren’t going to be first picks.

on this thread, I’ve suggested that 20 year Fraser Taylor (who looked promising at Pittodrie) might be a replacement for Jay Henderson (who himself came through from the youth but didn’t even play last season) and that Luke Kenny (who’ll be 20 in September) might be good enough to make up the numbers and be 6th choice CB (behind Fraser, Gallagher, Dunne, Taylor and Gogic)

I’m hoping these guys could be the new Lewis Morgan or Jason Naismith. 

At 20 years of age, they’re old enough to be in the first team squad. It’s now or never! 

But, no, they’re not even good enough to make up squad numbers (despite hardly having seen them play)

Forget our own promising youngsters, let’s sign experience jobbers instead just to make up the numbers!

Shocking! 😜

9 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

One of the things that amazes me is how fans completely disregard any youngsters coming through

On one hand fans bang on about wanting youth to be given a chance and yet, on the other, they want the squad filled up with new signings, even if they aren’t going to be first picks.

on this thread, I’ve suggested that 20 year Fraser Taylor (who looked promising at Pittodrie) might be a replacement for Jay Henderson (who himself came through from the youth but didn’t even play last season) and that Luke Kenny (who’ll be 20 in September) might be good enough to make up the numbers and be 6th choice CB (behind Fraser, Gallagher, Dunne, Taylor and Gogic)

At 20 years of age, they’re old enough to be in the first team squad. It’s now or never! 

But, no, they’re not even good enough to make up squad numbers (despite hardly having seen them play)

Forget our own promising youngsters, let’s sign experience jobbers instead just to make up the numbers!

Shocking! 😜

Stepping up from youth player to 1st team is huge.

Even the step up of playing in lower divisions is huge for most of them.

The higher up you go, the higher demand for consistency and avoiding mistakes too.

Most never make it and end up in lower levels or out of football altogether.

14 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Shocking! 😜

Jay Henderson did play last season. His last appearance was up at Perth when he came on as a sub for Strain (injured) and was roasted.

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Jay Henderson did play last season. His last appearance was up at Perth when he came on as a sub for Strain (injured) and was roasted.

But he was well out of position. That said, I don't think he even fits Robinson's model of what a wide forward in a 4-3-3 would be. many of us had assumed that formation switch would be Jay's best chance, but I think Robinson sees players such as Ayunga or Greive filling that role, if we ever did play that formation.

20 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I think you've sort of decided to miss the point I'm making a bit. 

In terms of numbers, we should be looking to replace Shaughnessy. In terms of quality, we shouldn't be replacing him with a squad player who won't play every week.

Joe was one of the highest earners at the club and possibly the highest at one point. For a comparative wage, we should be replacing him with someone who is going to walk into the first team on a regular basis. I hate to single anyone out but I do believe that whilst a very good squad player to have, Marcus Fraser's is likely a place in the team that we can realistically improve on. Not that there's anything wrong with Marcus but it is someone I've been mentioning all summer (along with Tanser) who I'd be suggesting move to a more supporting squad role in the coming season if we can improve on them.

You kill two birds with one stone there. You improve the first XI and you also in turn improve the squad as you have a very competent and decent option on the bench.

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

But he was well out of position. That said, I don't think he even fits Robinson's model of what a wide forward in a 4-3-3 would be. many of us had assumed that formation switch would be Jay's best chance, but I think Robinson sees players such as Ayunga or Greive filling that role, if we ever did play that formation.

Totally agree. Just pointing out that he did get game time last season but he was never going to shine in a wingback position. He needs a defender behind him.

1 hour ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Shocking! 😜

Captain sensible was suggesting three new players earlier - I suggest we need more and that’ll likely include another centre half