The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

It will be a cold day in hell the day we sign a player and there isn’t a queue of fans from rival clubs who pop over to tell us how shite he is.

I’m with DJ in saying it’s a fairly underwhelming signing on paper given who we were previously linked with for the role but I’ve full trust in the manager.

Would expect to see some of Toyosi/LJ/Offord heading out on loan before the season starts to balance the numbers.

52 minutes ago, Div said:

It will be a cold day in hell the day we sign a player and there isn’t a queue of fans from rival clubs who pop over to tell us how shite he is.

I’m with DJ in saying it’s a fairly underwhelming signing on paper given who we were previously linked with for the role but I’ve full trust in the manager.

Would expect to see some of Toyosi/LJ/Offord heading out on loan before the season starts to balance the numbers.

The players we've been linked with would probably command wages two or three times more than Mandron is on. even though it is a two year deal, which is a bit surprising.

Maybe after signing McMenamin, it's seen as too big a risk to go all in a lá Brophy style for the likes of Fletcher or Main, especially when the defence still requires strengthening.

As you say, we can only hope that the management team gets the best out of him.

When you look at Ayunga's scoring record, it's not as good as Mandron's and I reckon Ayunga has been a positive in our team, up until his injury.

I doubt we'll get a "fluke" season out of Mandron like 'Well did with Van Veen, but if he can chip in with double figures that's a start.

11 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The players we've been linked with would probably command wages two or three times more than Mandron is on. even though it is a two year deal, which is a bit surprising.

Maybe after signing McMenamin, it's seen as too big a risk to go all in a lá Brophy style for the likes of Fletcher or Main, especially when the defence still requires strengthening.

As you say, we can only hope that the management team gets the best out of him.

When you look at Ayunga's scoring record, it's not as good as Mandron's and I reckon Ayunga has been a positive in our team, up until his injury.

I doubt we'll get a "fluke" season out of Mandron like 'Well did with Van Veen, but if he can chip in with double figures that's a start.

Yeah I think Fletcher would certainly have been looking for a massive wage by our standards. Main would have been the “safe” option but he obviously turned down our offer and either the club has been unwilling to go further with that or he’s got something else lined up.

15 hours ago, medals said:

He's hardly been prolific or a 30 game a season guy. 

In the last 7 seasons he’s played 284 games. That’s an average of over 40 games a season

He’s definitely not prolific but has averaged 9 goals per season in that time, that’s how many that Curtis Main scored last season. If he were prolific then he wouldn’t be signing for St Mirren! 

This sort of striker is always going to attract critics but I hopeful he’ll do well for us. 

For me, Curtis Main wasn’t your typical target man. He is certainly physical and he’s also mobile and hard working. But he wasn’t good enough in the air for a target man, he’s on the small side for that. He also gave away a lot of fouls (albeit, I thought half off them were fouls against him)

With the number of crosses we put into the box, this will hopefully be right up Mandon’s street. Indeed, I’m hopeful that his mere presence will mean we put even more balls into the box.

With Mandron and McMenamin in the side, my hope is that we’re even quicker and more direct than we were last season! 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

4 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

In the last 7 seasons he’s played 284 games. That’s an average of over 40 games a season

He’s definitely not prolific but has averaged 9 goals per season in that time, that’s how many that Curtis Main scored last season. If he were prolific then he wouldn’t be signing for St Mirren! 

When you have a big lump up front that isn’t prolific, it’s more about what else he can bring to the team.

A focal point.  
Hold the ball up.  
Create space for others.  
Occupy defenders.  
Link play

etc

I think Main is far better at that than the lad you’ve signed. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

5 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

When you have a big lump up front that isn’t prolific, it’s more about what else he can bring to the team.

A focal point.  
Hold the ball up.  
Create space for others.  
Occupy defenders.  
Link play

etc

You may well prove to be correct

I’m hopeful that you’re wrong! Main did well last season but I wasn’t convinced by him.

11 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

A focal point.  
Hold the ball up.  
Create space for others
Occupy defenders.  
Link play

etc

I've seen a few Motherwell fans on here,  more so on Twitter, mention that although not exactly technically gifted, Mandron was an important part in KVV's scoring spree towards the end of last season. He (and Obika) proved to be good foil for him. 

If Mandron brings that to the side and allows someone else to score regularly then that will honestly do for me.

Edited by djchapsticks

17 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

think Main is far better at that than the lad you’ve signed. 

We would have liked to have kept Curtis but he has so far decided to look elsewhere. 

I am sure when ‘Well fans saw KVV previous 8 year stats before they signed him they would have been slightly underwhelmed over what they were getting. No one expected his transformation into a goal machine last season.

IMG_3050.thumb.jpeg.d0ef3e474cce0f88391beabe59687e1c.jpeg

Every signing at our level is a bit of a gamble. 
Motherwell won more than a watch when they signed the big guy!

26 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

You may well prove to be correct

I’m hopeful that you’re wrong! Main did well last season but I wasn’t convinced by him.

His daughter in her short spell on the pitch was absolutely brilliant!

Highlight of the last game of the season. 😂 

9 minutes ago, Molotov said:

We would have liked to have kept Curtis but he has so far decided to look elsewhere. 

I am sure when ‘Well fans saw KVV previous 8 year stats before they signed him they would have been slightly underwhelmed over what they were getting. No one expected his transformation into a goal machine last season.

I keep seeing folk posting this but the fact is that the majority of Motherwell fans were pretty fucking hyped to sign KVV because it was clear to anyone with functioning eyes he was a pler.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I keep seeing folk posting this but the fact is that the majority of Motherwell fans were pretty fucking hyped to sign KVV because it was clear to anyone with functioning eyes he was a pler.

Compilation videos! 😂

I’m sure I could have made a compilation of Brophys goals before he signed for us. But the harsh reality is the guy never managed a goal at home in a Saints strip. He may well go on a purple patch with RC and many people will point and laugh at us for selling him. Such is life. As Saints fans we fully expect Brophy to do a number on us every time we play against them. 

The point I was making with regards KVV in terms of goals to games ratio last season his stats were massively improved to his previous 8/9 seasons.

What was it last season? 29 goals in 44 games? You would likely never have been able to sign him had he had a season like that at Scunthorpe. 

Surely you can see that was what I was commenting on.

43 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Yet they still finished in the bottom 6!

11 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Compilation videos! 😂

I’m sure I could have made a compilation of Brophys goals before he signed for us. But the harsh reality is the guy never managed a goal at home in a Saints strip. He may well go on a purple patch with RC and many people will point and laugh at us for selling him. Such is life. As Saints fans we fully expect Brophy to do a number on us every time we play against them. 

The point I was making with regards KVV in terms of goals to games ratio last season his stats were massively improved to his previous 8/9 seasons.

What was it last season? 29 goals in 44 games? You would likely never have been able to sign him had he had a season like that at Scunthorpe. 

Surely you can see that was what I was commenting on.

You suggested that Motherwell fans would have been underwhelmed by his stats. I'm pointing out that instead of looking at his Wiki folk watched footage of the player and saw he had something to offer and got hyped about it.

Here's our thread when he was announced:

And here's the announce itself...not a peep about his Wiki stats or anyone being underwhelmed.

9 hours ago, Biscuits said:

Fans obviously.  This forum is full of experts who have clearly missed their vocation in life.

This is just a woeful mindset, the whole point of the forum is to give your opinion on things.

Managers know more than fans but that doesnt mean theyre always right.

St Mirren seem to have a really weird batch of fans who've seen a manager achieve a 6th placed finish and decided hes a flawless manager who strengthens the squad with every signing and improves every single player, with any doubt directed towards him needing defended as if its a personal slur against them.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is just a woeful mindset, the whole point of the forum is to give your opinion on things.

Managers know more than fans but that doesnt mean theyre always right.

St Mirren seem to have a really weird batch of fans who've seen a manager achieve a 6th placed finish and decided hes a flawless manager who strengthens the squad with every signing and improves every single player, with any doubt directed towards him needing defended as if its a personal slur against them.

Nah, St Mirren have plenty of fans who doubt this signing and have openly said so on here and on other social media. What they are prepared to do is give the manager the benefit of the doubt considering his track record for St Mirren. This is far more rational than announcing that Robinson has now completely lost the plot and St Mirren are in trouble based on a "scattergun" approach to signing players based on one signing you don't think will be very good, which is what you did. That's proper weird behaviour.