The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 minutes ago, Div said:

Three weeks on and it seems the mystery striker isn’t coming after all 😂

One thing for certain is that being a St Mirren fan is never dull. 

Robbo blaming everyone else but perhaps should have said nothing 

Just now, AW saint said:

One thing for certain is that being a St Mirren fan is never dull. 

Robbo blaming everyone else but perhaps should have said nothing 

Don’t think he’s blaming anyone? He’s just saying what has happened

He jumped the gun by mentioning it in the first place, certain fans have gone overboard about it, that’s the nature of knicker wetting supporters! 😆

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Why bother?

It won't achieve anything.

The only time I've booed an ex-player simply for jumping ship was Junior Mendes when he left for Dunfermline. To be fair they guy was broken after about 20 minutes as "mass booing" occurred every time he got the ball. He was that badly affected that he had to be subbed at HT.:lol:

That’s right - Junior clarted his nappy big time that night. Broadfoot surely got booed too. Mind you, after signing his PCA with Deadco, he was tremendous for us. Rather than go through the motions maybe trying to avoid injury, Broadfoot stepped up a gear. Big Joe will get applauded first time he ventures near the NB. Carson will get loudly booed… as he should. Pure pantomime season, but adds a bit of spice to the game. 😎

Didn't Ian Ferguson get sent off when he came back playing against us? I might have made that up.

I've vague recollection of him seeing red in Paisley towards the end of his career, playing for Dunfermline??

9 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

That’s right - Junior clarted his nappy big time that night. Broadfoot surely got booed too. Mind you, after signing his PCA with Deadco, he was tremendous for us. Rather than go through the motions maybe trying to avoid injury, Broadfoot stepped up a gear. Big Joe will get applauded first time he ventures near the NB. Carson will get loudly booed… as he should. Pure pantomime season, but adds a bit of spice to the game. 😎

Absolutely, nothing wrong with giving Carson some heat. I'm sure he'll lap it up.

Big Shags will get a great reception.

1 minute ago, Div said:

Didn't Ian Ferguson get sent off when he came back playing against us? I might have made that up.

I've vague recollection of him seeing red in Paisley towards the end of his career, playing for Dunfermline??

Yeah he did - was the same game when Junior returned and got booed until he was subbed.

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He needs to learn to STFU about stuff like this.

To be fair he's hardly got "form" for doing this.

He probably got a bit ahead of himself as, at the time, he thought it was a bit of a coup.

There was probably an element of pacifying the knickerwetters in our support too.

No biggie for me, and, as usual, we'll no doubt have other suitable targets.

Not that it massively matters now but if the "mystery striker" has "come back and done very well" as Robbo suggests then it may not be Josh Kayode as he's only played 25 minutes in pre-season.

We're in no great rush I suppose, we've got plenty boys who can play up top, and with Tanser fit the need for another LWB is not hugely pressing.

With a wage freed up and some money in the bank both from Dundee, and from the League Cup, we're in a decent position to take our time and see who else we can get.

On LWB I wouldn't be averse to Thierry Small coming back on loan, felt he really had something even if he did have a couple of absolute brain farts.

On a more negative note, I wonder if Aberdeen might see Baccus as a potentially cheap replacement for Ramadani?

5 minutes ago, Div said:

On LWB I wouldn't be averse to Thierry Small coming back on loan, felt he really had something even if he did have a couple of absolute brain farts.

Nope, no more loans please. We have money available and I'd rather we didn't throw it at a short-term fix.

The new LWB should be our own and someone potentially sellable in future.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I remember McAvennie missing a penalty for Celtic at love street and the saints fans were giving it “McAvennie’s still a saint “ and “macca, macca, give us a wave”

he never did give a wave though 😆

I remember similar happening when Ludo was playing for Ayr at Love Street when he threw one in at the end to hand us victory.:lol:

4 minutes ago, Div said:

Not that it massively matters now but if the "mystery striker" has "come back and done very well" as Robbo suggests then it may not be Josh Kayode as he's only played 25 minutes in pre-season.

We're in no great rush I suppose, we've got plenty boys who can play up top, and with Tanser fit the need for another LWB is not hugely pressing.

With a wage freed up and some money in the bank both from Dundee, and from the League Cup, we're in a decent position to take our time and see who else we can get.

On a more negative note, I wonder if Aberdeen might see Baccus as a potentially cheap replacement for Ramadani?

Kayode might have shown up well in training and behind closed doors games….

40 minutes ago, Div said:

Three weeks on and it seems the mystery striker isn’t coming after all 😂

Why he's now blaming the media or fans for "making the mystery striker up" is beyond me.

He was the one who said it. Just stop talking about if man - regardless of whether it's happening or not.

12 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I remember McAvennie missing a penalty for Celtic at love street and the saints fans were giving it “McAvennie’s still a saint “ and “macca, macca, give us a wave”

he never did give a wave though 😆

mcavennie missed that penalty deliberately 

Robbo should never have publically said anything about the ‘mystery striker’ in the way he initially did. Speculation amongst supporters was stoked purely on what he said. If the deal falls through, that’s not Robbo’s fault, but what is his fault is creating some sort of hope that a deal was happening that would be something of a coup for St Mirren.

2 hours ago, Insaintee said:

He obviously is strengthening Dundee. Why else would they buy him?

Given that they already brought in other keepers and have now sent 1 out on loan, you'd have to think the one who has been playing will be well pissed off if he loses his place to bill big baws. And if Carson doesn't get in, he'll soon throw the dummy out.

All makes for some unrest I'd expect

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Why bother?

It won't achieve anything.

The only time I've booed an ex-player simply for jumping ship was Junior Mendes when he left for Dunfermline. To be fair they guy was broken after about 20 minutes as "mass booing" occurred every time he got the ball. He was that badly affected that he had to be subbed at HT.:lol:

So sometimes it can achieve something 😀