The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

So what is the feeling amongst us lot? After the window do you think we'll be better off, worse off, or pretty much swap like for like.

For me, I've got a feeling we'll be slightly worse off. We are a good team and I fully expect larger clubs to be looking at some "value purchases". Obviously that's value to them, not us, and we are a selling club of that there is no doubt. I'm not being overly pessimistic here, I don't expect us to drop down the table, in fact I reckon we'll finish roughly where we are now, but I do think we'll have a slightly weaker team after the break.

Strain being out injured is a problem for us on the pitch, we'll see if Bwomono is a replacement there, but it does sort of hint he won't be signing a PCA any time soon. O'Hara has gone off the boil a little, so again that plays into our hands, and we just need to see where Baccus sees himself next season and how that affects us in this window.

Overall, I do want to give positive outlook, as the season in general is going pretty well for us. We know we wouldn't win every game, but for the most part other results have gone in our favour when our own results has been poor.

Edited by Ric

18 hours ago, FTOF said:

No chance supposedly. About 15 clubs interested in him. If he ends up in Scotland it would probably be with Dundee given the partnership they have with Burnley. 

7 minutes ago, Munoz said:

No chance supposedly. About 15 clubs interested in him. If he ends up in Scotland it would probably be with Dundee given the partnership they have with Burnley. 

I'd be astonished if he came to Scotland at all, but if he does, he'll be a massive plus to whoever he signs for.

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

My money would be on the club just down the coast from Morecambe where Burnley's former loans manager has just taken charge.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

So what is the feeling amongst us lot? After the window do you think we'll be better off, worse off, or pretty much swap like for like.

For me, I've got a feeling we'll be slightly worse off. We are a good team and I fully expect larger clubs to be looking at some "value purchases". Obviously that's value to them, not us, and we are a selling club of that there is no doubt. I'm not being overly pessimistic here, I don't expect us to drop down the table, in fact I reckon we'll finish roughly where we are now, but I do think we'll have a slightly weaker team after the break.

Strain being out injured is a problem for us on the pitch, we'll see if Bwomono is a replacement there, but it does sort of hint he won't be signing a PCA any time soon. O'Hara has gone off the boil a little, so again that plays into our hands, and we just need to see where Baccus sees himself next season and how that affects us in this window.

Overall, I do want to give positive outlook, as the season in general is going pretty well for us. We know we wouldn't win every game, but for the most part other results have gone in our favour when our own results has been poor.

I can't see us reducing the squad depth to be honest.

With Baccus and Strain almost certain to leave in the summer, I'd imagine work is already underway to find a replacement for Baccus, with Bwomono a proposed longer term replacement for Strain if he shows up well from now till the end of the season.

My only concern is that we are currently very light in central midfield (that includes Baccus available). Worse case scenario I see is that we ship out a forward and bring in a midfielder with those funds. If no one moves, we may possibly move Gogic back to midfield now that James Bolton is getting game time.

I don't see any real assets that are currently fit, that would be attracting any suitors at the moment for a January move. Probably Strain before his injury was our most sellable asset.

If it came to one or the other, I would be more focussed on tying up some of the first team squad longer term that are either approaching end of their contract or are 18 months away from.

5 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

Murmurs United are looking to take Alex Greive on loan, any good? 

Works hard and has a good a attitude but just seems to lack what it takes in the top flight, if he goes It'll be with the goodwishes of the Saints support - until you get promoted!

Edited by btb

I think Greive's been decent enough for us. He's not prolific in scoring but we've really used him off the bench. Scored some decent goals for us, and a great workrate. I'd be happy to keep him but we're way over subscribed in that area. 

He'd be a great player at Championship level for sure. 

Grieve has a brilliant attitude and workrate. I prefer him over Olusanya. 

Saying that is he good enough to bag us the goals we need? I don't think so. 

Offord going to Stirling is great for his development. Sad to say but I can't see him being a first team regular for us.  

We have a bundle of average strikers who need replaced. All of them have done a job just not a great one. 

Our budget limits us to the quality we have. 

I trust Robbo to get a couple more out the door to bring in 3 fresh faces. 

26 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Grieve has a brilliant attitude and workrate. I prefer him over Olusanya. 

Saying that is he good enough to bag us the goals we need? I don't think so. 

Offord going to Stirling is great for his development. Sad to say but I can't see him being a first team regular for us.  

We have a bundle of average strikers who need replaced. All of them have done a job just not a great one. 

Our budget limits us to the quality we have. 

I trust Robbo to get a couple more out the door to bring in 3 fresh faces. 

We could go above the limit for a class striker but the drawback is that might cause envy within the squad which has been our strong suit since Kearney took over.

8 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

grieve will score goals in the championship which in turn will help us get our transfer fee for declan 

Making room for Gyabi of Leeds United floating around the rumours ? 

2 hours ago, btb said:

Works hard and has a good a attitude but just seems to lack what it takes in the top flight, if he goes It'll be with the goodwishes of the Saints support - until you get promoted!

A wee yo-yo club like Dundee United might get the best out of Grieve.

59 minutes ago, btb said:

We could go above the limit for a class striker but the drawback is that might cause envy within the squad which has been our strong suit since Kearney took over.

Class strikers don’t sign for teams like St Mirren either.

Outside the top 5 teams in the country I’d say we’re all on the same boat when it comes to strikers. We’ll take punts on players from lower leagues, guys who’ve came through big academies or had potential earlier in their career and hope that we can nail it with one who can score 15/20 goals.

30 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Be stunned if that came off. Leeds turned down bids reported to top £5m for him in the summer.

That being the case I would agree with you. Coming from some Saints fans on twitter.