The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

Reading the striker partnership thread is just depressing 😛 Yard's and Basher were great but in 40 years supporting us, I can't remember a great top level partnership. 

Even Yardley and Lavety only had a season together. And we played with a front 3 that year. 

We've had some decent strikers over the years (Thompson, Higdon, Sutton all come to mind) but I can't remember many 'partnerships'. Sutton and Kean for a season? Dargo and Mehmet?

7 hours ago, Torfason said:

Reading the striker partnership thread is just depressing 😛 Yard's and Basher were great but in 40 years supporting us, I can't remember a great top level partnership. 

No team plays that way anymore, days of 2 out and out strikers playing as a partnership are gone for now but it's a fashion thing and cyclical so will come back into vogue at some stage. For now it's one behind or off the striker or a central striker with two wide forwards coming inside from wide and often inverting. 

14 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

A bit glaikit of me, perhaps, but I have no idea what your logic is for this? 🤔

Obvs at the weekend I was most focussed on the cricket and the chaos that Bazball is wreaking on the current England side 🤣 so I only checked Saints scores at H/T & F/T before reading the match report.

What I meant by saying I wasn't disheartened by the result is that we were competitive, probably the better team, and would've been the more likely team to win if we'd scored the pen. Outside of the OF games (and not all of them) the only game we haven't been competitive is the 4-0 away to Dundee.

Edited by btb

14 hours ago, Durnford said:

Don't remember St Mirren ever really being like that until a couple of years back when away supporters weren't allowed to leave to ground until about 10 minutes after the game finished in case of incidents outside of the ground. Don't think I've seen any trouble there though - mind you although I'm in my late 60's now my two son's are each built like the proverbial brick sh#thouses. Its a weird one; seems only yesterday I was the one looking after them.

They were going to have a go at me and a mate. There was a faint club badge on my hoodie which one of them seen that made them move on they were looking for Motherwell fans. Police arrived in time before they got to the Motherwell fans. I'm capable of looking after myself trained with paisley police boxing club in my young days . But a bunch of young ones I'm past that. Football made huge strides from the dark days of violence would hate to see it returning.

47 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

This is brilliant. Such a down to earth guy. Good to see wee Danny again and there are a couple of zingers from Neil Lennon.

Yeah I watched that a couple of weeks ago and thought that Neil Lennon (who I don’t normally like) came across really well. 👍

59 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

They were going to have a go at me and a mate. There was a faint club badge on my hoodie which one of them seen that made them move on they were looking for Motherwell fans. Police arrived in time before they got to the Motherwell fans. I'm capable of looking after myself trained with paisley police boxing club in my young days . But a bunch of young ones I'm past that. Football made huge strides from the dark days of violence would hate to see it returning.

The 'ultras' have made a difference to the atmosphere and it's definitely better for it. But if the trade off is that means we need to endure wee fannies looking to cause bother, then I'd rather see it all binned. It seems to be creeping into a lot of clubs now, whilst it's not exactly the Shadwell Army, it's still not nice for folk to get caught up in it. Especially if you're trying to take kids, or there's older folk there. 

The clubs probably need to put their heads together and come up with something to try and nip it in the bud, I think it's difficult for individual teams to tackle it alone.

30 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

The 'ultras' have made a difference to the atmosphere and it's definitely better for it. But if the trade off is that means we need to endure wee fannies looking to cause bother, then I'd rather see it all binned. It seems to be creeping into a lot of clubs now, whilst it's not exactly the Shadwell Army, it's still not nice for folk to get caught up in it. Especially if you're trying to take kids, or there's older folk there. 

The clubs probably need to put their heads together and come up with something to try and nip it in the bud, I think it's difficult for individual teams to tackle it alone.

It seemed to be ( i could be wrong) the Northbank boys who formed 7/8 years ago, set out to bring colour, visuals and atmosphere back to the club. As that part of the support gained a larger army of followers over the last few years, a minority casual culture seems to have connected its self to it, outwith NB1877s hands. 

1 minute ago, smellthepaw said:

It seemed to be ( i could be wrong) the Northbank boys who formed 7/8 years ago, set out to bring colour, visuals and atmosphere back to the club. As that part of the support gained a larger army of followers over the last few years, a minority casual culture seems to have connected its self to it, outwith NB1877s hands. 

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm not pointing any fingers.

There's a domino effect to this sort of thing, as soon as one or two clubs have some folk wanting to be seen as hard men, then it will follow at other clubs too.

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm not pointing any fingers.

There's a domino effect to this sort of thing, as soon as one or two clubs have some folk wanting to be seen as hard men, then it will follow at other clubs too.

Agree , their a lot of good work done by W7 it's a minority of gang culture minded fools who spoil it for the majority. 

they were behaving disgracefully at the Livi North train station, utter thugs. We were genuinely scared for our daughter who was getting off coming from Edinburgh, coupled with their behaviour after the game to some fans including a disabled Livi fan, I think its safe to say you have a problem.

One that needs addressing immediately before it gets further out of hand.

Its a reflection on you, your club and community, so I'd say step in and sort it out through whatever means possible...

Edited by larry the lion

22 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Even Yardley and Lavety only had a season together. And we played with a front 3 that year. 

We've had some decent strikers over the years (Thompson, Higdon, Sutton all come to mind) but I can't remember many 'partnerships'. Sutton and Kean for a season? Dargo and Mehmet?

Martin Cameron for half a season was superb. We haven't been blessed with great goalscorers recently. 

7 hours ago, AW saint said:

Martin Cameron for half a season was superb. We haven't been blessed with great goalscorers recently. 

I think Cameron scored three in a 4-4 draw at Love Street when we had been 0-3 down at H-T. Against Falkirk IIRC ??

13 hours ago, larry the lion said:

they were behaving disgracefully at the Livi North train station, utter thugs. We were genuinely scared for our daughter who was getting off coming from Edinburgh, coupled with their behaviour after the game to some fans including a disabled Livi fan, I think its safe to say you have a problem.

One that needs addressing immediately before it gets further out of hand.

Its a reflection on you, your club and community, so I'd say step in and sort it out through whatever means possible...

The club should be handing out bans to anyone involved in any violence or physical abuse. Hopefully that would act as a deterrent. There's a bigger problem than St Mirren though - and I don't say that to play down what happened or absolve anyone of responsibility.

There's an increase in violence in schools, so there's definitely a societal issue. It's difficult to know exactly what's causing it; rise in poverty/hangover from the pandemic/social media? Groups of teenagers, probably with a bevvy (possibly more) in them, always has the potential for aggro, couple that with seeing endless videos online of other wee dicks causing trouble at games around the country.

56 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Groups of teenagers, probably with a bevvy (possibly more) in them, always has the potential for aggro, couple that with seeing endless videos online of other wee dicks causing trouble at games around the country.

This has been going on for over half a century though , even before vids and internet. 50 years ago I saw the aftermath of an attack on Airdrie supporters buses at LS , they had beaten us 6-0 and every window on every bus was smashed in. It's nothing new and, let's face it ,  it's a countrywide problem which is unlikely to ever be solved !