The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

15 hours ago, Torfason said:

Despite some of the Killie fans wanting Del sacked not so long ago, they have a very good manager and they are having a great season!

Good luck to them………..and I genuinely mean that!

No reflection on St Mirren football club or Stephen Robinson or anyone else associated with the club. 

Maybe I am misreading your post but it seems like you are making mischief. 

If not, I apologize however if you are then go f**k yourself until you get to a fence that says stop, cross the fence and continue fucking yourself.

Like I said if this was a genuine question then ignore the last sentence 👍

Tordason I have to say that I was genuinely asking a question about are they funded by someone that’s allowed their manager more wiggle room in the transfer market. As a saints fan of 37 years home and away I can assure you I’m delighted at what Stephen Robinson has done for our club. I also think that your language is poor as I’m sure like my son who’s in primary there will be others reading these pages. It was simply a question no nonsense unlike your response mate 

If we can get Strain playing for the final games it would be a huge bonus. He really is a class act. I wouldnt risk him this weekend though. 

Olusanya is getting better and better. Glad we have him for next season. 

I didnt expect to be saying that. His turn around is verging on Curtis Main 

49 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

Tordason I have to say that I was genuinely asking a question about are they funded by someone that’s allowed their manager more wiggle room in the transfer market. As a saints fan of 37 years home and away I can assure you I’m delighted at what Stephen Robinson has done for our club. I also think that your language is poor as I’m sure like my son who’s in primary there will be others reading these pages. It was simply a question no nonsense unlike your response mate 

Since it’s a genuine question then none of it applied to you so in the spirit of it being a fair question. Killie signed very well in the summer and took a chance on some players who had injury issues and other than Kyle, most of them have stayed injury free and yes Billie Bowie is a very wealthy man and a staunch supporter of the club as well as being the majority owner, so no doubt he has injected some financial horsepower to his club.

Since you were asking an honest question, it is also worth noting Motherwell & Dundee have similar budgets to us and Aberdeen and Hibs have significantly higher budgets, so if it is simply down to finances then we have grossly outperformed them.

As I say, well done to Del and Kilmarnock for having such a strong season but also well done Robbo for outperforming Hibs, Dundee, Motherwell, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Ross County and Livingston. 

All of whom would love to be 5th in the league.

34 minutes ago, AW saint said:

If we can get Strain playing for the final games it would be a huge bonus. He really is a class act. I wouldnt risk him this weekend though. 

Olusanya is getting better and better. Glad we have him for next season. 

I didnt expect to be saying that. His turn around is verging on Curtis Main 

I'd say the turnaround beats Main. Main was a waste of a jersey while he was injured, but his pedigree suggests plenty of managers have seen a footballer in there. His turnaround was remarkable but felt about right given his relationship with Robbo.

Olusanya was literally going to get the boot and that was almost certainly that for him as a pro footballer. He screwed the nut, listened to the advice, and has become a starting forward for us. He'll never get to the highest level - I think we're the best club he'll play for regularly - but you've got to admire the boy's attitude.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Looking ahead, we are likely to begin next season minus Strain, Baccus and Gogic. Thanks to these guys for their contributions in the past couple of seasons ! Each of these will be a huge loss. If they had stayed fit throughout this season, all of these would have been certain starters in every game and we can see by our mid-to-late season results (particularly when Strain and Baccus have been unavailable) that they have been sorely missed. Add to that, there will be a few others who won't be part of our first team squad for much longer (Ryan Flynn for one sadly).

Now that our top tier status has been guaranteed for 2024-25 with 6 games to spare, let's hope that our management team have already spotted  like-for-like replacements.

Many of Robinson's previous signings have blindsided most of us, having been picked up from across the Irish Sea or down south.

Just wondering if anyone has any insights into names they would like to throw into the hat ?

42 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Looking ahead, we are likely to begin next season minus Strain, Baccus and Gogic. Thanks to these guys for their contributions in the past couple of seasons ! Each of these will be a huge loss. If they had stayed fit throughout this season, all of these would have been certain starters in every game and we can see by our mid-to-late season results (particularly when Strain and Baccus have been unavailable) that they have been sorely missed. Add to that, there will be a few others who won't be part of our first team squad for much longer (Ryan Flynn for one sadly).

Now that our top tier status has been guaranteed for 2024-25 with 6 games to spare, let's hope that our management team have already spotted  like-for-like replacements.

Many of Robinson's previous signings have blindsided most of us, having been picked up from across the Irish Sea or down south.

Just wondering if anyone has any insights into names they would like to throw into the hat ?

Hemming will be off too most likely. He's been a very important player for us.

I'd imagine that Greive and Dunne will joining Flynn in leaving.

Brown and Kwon, along with the aforementioned Hemming, will be back to their parent clubs.

Scott will be joining on a two year deal.

So, with Scott, Ayunga, Mandron, Olusanya and Jamieson, we're probably looking at only one forward coming in.

We've also got Offord, but he's hardly been outstanding on loan, so sadly I can't see him making the step up.

Being able to replace Baccus, Strain and possibly Gogic with players of the same quality is going to be our main problem.

Haven't heard anything regarding potential replacements.

No doubt we’re about to see some popular players who have done us a turn leave, but so will all our (what I term direct rivals). Motherwell, Killie, Dundee, etc. Christ knows where Aberdeen and Hibs fit into my thoughts. They both surely cannot be as disappointing next season. No matter, there will be squad churn for everyone likely to be in and around us again next season. Hopefully the club can surprise us all again in a ‘Baccus & Strain’ type of way.

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

Since it’s a genuine question then none of it applied to you so in the spirit of it being a fair question. Killie signed very well in the summer and took a chance on some players who had injury issues and other than Kyle, most of them have stayed injury free and yes Billie Bowie is a very wealthy man and a staunch supporter of the club as well as being the majority owner, so no doubt he has injected some financial horsepower to his club.

Since you were asking an honest question, it is also worth noting Motherwell & Dundee have similar budgets to us and Aberdeen and Hibs have significantly higher budgets, so if it is simply down to finances then we have grossly outperformed them.

As I say, well done to Del and Kilmarnock for having such a strong season but also well done Robbo for outperforming Hibs, Dundee, Motherwell, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Ross County and Livingston. 

All of whom would love to be 5th in the league.

Well done to our guys for outperforming our budget. Undoubtedly the best time to be a saint in my lifetime 

3 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

Erm...

From last season we lost;

Carson, Main, Shaughnessy, Gallagher, Tait. Who were all first team players - albeit only the first 2 were definite starters throughout the whole season.

I'm still hopeful that we'll see Gogic, Hemming and Kwon next season, but I'm pretty confident that Robinson will have decent replacements lined up for those leaving.

Loving all the chat about the Season Tickets being reissued for those who can't make games or are in hospitality. 

Only solution is to fill the corners in, get another tier and not let any of the Glasgow moron fans in at all. 

8 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I'm pretty confident that Robinson will have decent replacements lined up for those leaving.

Anyone from relegated Ferranti Thistle worth a Top 6 regular, European sniffing club like ours having a look at? Or is that the kind of thing both Hearts & Hibs will be all over like flies round a shite?

42 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Anyone from relegated Ferranti Thistle worth a Top 6 regular, European sniffing club like ours having a look at? Or is that the kind of thing both Hearts & Hibs will be all over like flies round a shite?

I'd have taken Penrice but Hearts have already got him signed up.

Tete Yengi is another but I think we're well covered up front and I'm not sure that he's better than what we have.

15 hours ago, FTOF said:

We've also got Offord, but he's hardly been outstanding on loan, so sadly I can't see him making the step up.

Actually, despite a slow start, where he was on the bench virtually every week, in recent weeks he has actually been more involved in a Stirling Albion bid to avoid the relegation play-off.

He's chipped in with a few goals and assists in recent week and certainly seems to be a bit of a bright spark in an otherwise poor Stirling Albion side.

2 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

anyone know what competition and what stage we would go into if we come fifth and aberdeen don’t win the cup

i think fifth is our best shot now 

Pretty sure it's Conference League second qualifier. The round Hibs played the team from Andorra in this season.

Three ties from the group stage, unseeded for at least the last two.