The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, peebles_Dee said:

I heard he was coming on trial with Dundee. Is he good?

Did well in Ireland on loan last season, whether he can make the step up remains to be seen.

I guess a loan deal to one of the league's smaller teams makes sense and will give us a better chance to assess him.

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Definitely need another quick forward and a left sided centre back. 
I’d hazard a guess Robbo will be looking for two players who can fill those positions, but are adaptable enough to cover other roles when required. 
We will no doubt be operating with a fairly small first team squad. It would be really good to see the lad Sutherland in and around the first team squad this season. Same with the other lads who were out on loan last season.

You should be operating with a small squad, will be playing less games than most teams , due to the top 3 being in euro groups and the bottom 7 in league cup groups. 

9 minutes ago, zildjian said:

I think as much as I want another striker, we need to get more out of what we have or move them on. 

Ayunga had a dissapointing season last year imo. 

Tbf to Ayunga, he was trying to come back from a serious injury. 

Maybe a full pre season will help him.

2 hours ago, zildjian said:

I think as much as I want another striker, we need to get more out of what we have or move them on. 

Ayunga had a dissapointing season last year imo. 

If we are to move any of the strikers on then it should be Jamieson. He should go out on loan again. He is not good enough yet for the first team

14 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

IMO he’s not very good, regardless of the injury.

Don't understand that take tbh, as he was practically unplayable in his first season. That was before his injury and when we were playing 2 up front, but still.

If he could get back to where he was, he'd be a huge asset.

I'm with Ric. I'm not about to start in with the 'never fancied her anyway' chat. Strain is a great player, held back by injuries and fitness. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't have signed him, and Dundee United wouldn't be signing him.

I will say that when he dropped out the team, and we lost form, that was as much to do with the total lack of first XI-ready cover available, as it was the team specifically missing Strain. Elvis did a job, and I hope he will improve next season, but he wasn't a patch on a fit Strain.

Does give me the fear somewhat for these Euro games when Rooney is serving his suspension.

15 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm with Ric.

It's definitely the right place to be! :D

As for Elvis, I like him, he's definitely not Strain, or Rooney for that matter, but in many ways that's not a bad thing. As it is just now, he seems more likely to be cover rather than starting games, although Rooney did miss almost 1/3 of last season with Fleetwood with (I presume?) injury.

19 minutes ago, Ric said:

Don't understand that take tbh, as he was practically unplayable in his first season. That was before his injury and when we were playing 2 up front, but still.

If he could get back to where he was, he'd be a huge asset.

Unplayable is quite the stretch. Curtis Main was the one who made the difference that season. He had a good season after a poor start. I still think he’s too greedy, runs with his head down far too much and either runs into another player or balloons his shot over the bar from a stupid angle. He spots a pass too late and his touch isn’t very good. He’s just another in a long list of strikers at St Mirren who are liked because they run around lots IMO, rather the ones who work smart and impact the game.

11 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Unplayable is quite the stretch. Curtis Main was the one who made the difference that season. He had a good season after a poor start. I still think he’s too greedy, runs with his head down far too much and either runs into another player or balloons his shot over the bar from a stupid angle. He spots a pass too late and his touch isn’t very good. He’s just another in a long list of strikers at St Mirren who are liked because they run around lots IMO, rather the ones who work smart and impact the game.

I mean you are obviously entitled to your opinion, but I feel that is a brutal reading of the player.

I've managed to book hotels/Airbnb's with free cancellation ahead of our 2 possible European destinations now. Anyone else done the same? Albania certainly coming in a helluva lot cheaper than Iceland! 

I also saw someone saying the club are looking into chartering flights to wherever we end up 👍

2 hours ago, saintmurn said:

I've managed to book hotels/Airbnb's with free cancellation ahead of our 2 possible European destinations now. Anyone else done the same? Albania certainly coming in a helluva lot cheaper than Iceland! 

I also saw someone saying the club are looking into chartering flights to wherever we end up 👍

What's your route to Albania? 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

There's literally about a dozen viable routes with varying lengths of stopover. I have my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices ready to go if and when I need to book.

I know, that's why I'm asking. In an ideal world I'd fly to Italy or Corfu and have a couple of days there, then take a ferry and spend a week or so making my way up to the game. But the reality is I've got about 5 days, so curious how other people are making their way there.

24 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

What's your route to Albania? 

No flights booked til the week before 😑 but would likely be Edinburgh to Paris (or similarly somewhere in Europe) then to Tirana on Wednesday then Tirana to Edinburgh direct on the Friday. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm OK with Brown returning. Provided capable back up last season when called upon and will likely do more of the same this season too.

Nobody will be doing cartwheels with excitement over the signing but he's capable

When he did come in I was less than impressed with him, but maybe a full pre season will help get him up to speed. I’d prefer to see young Sutherland given a chance to at least make the bench, as a possible back up for Tanser.

Edited by glenburn bud