The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

4 minutes ago, SS77 said:

I’m not a member either - I like the idea of SMISA but I commit a lot of my time/money to Saints and don’t really feel like I’d get anything from paying £12 a month to them.

For me it’s not about getting anything in return. 

It’s been about securing our club for future generations through fan ownership plus supporting the club with additional funds to improve the infrastructure and academy.

There is an option to join for £5 per month if £12 is too much.

10 minutes ago, SS77 said:

I agree but I think season ticket holders might be the fairest way of sorting it. The only time it’s a real struggle for tickets are games at Hearts and occasionally both Old Firm grounds - does that merit a system? 

Clubs around the country are growing their home support and we are starting to see clubs reduce away allocations to accommodate the growth in their season ticket sales.

If you are a member of a travel club and go to every away game but miss out on away tickets because a season ticket holder who has not been to an away game for years gets a ticket through a ballot I’d say that justifies a fairer system.

Perhaps a subject for the Fans Engagement group rather than a web forum.

When was the last time fans who genuinely wanted to go couldn't get a ticket for a game we were playing in? I honestly can't remember a single time beyond the couple of games under COVID restrictions? Maybe a couple of walk ups turned away at the end of last season for some of the sold out home games? The biggest problem for away games is teams refusing pay at the gate/tickets on the day so you can't make a last minute decision, it's certainly not volume of tickets.

56 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Clubs around the country are growing their home support and we are starting to see clubs reduce away allocations to accommodate the growth in their season ticket sales.

If you are a member of a travel club and go to every away game but miss out on away tickets because a season ticket holder who has not been to an away game for years gets a ticket through a ballot I’d say that justifies a fairer system.

Perhaps a subject for the Fans Engagement group rather than a web forum.

I think the issue is not all those who go to away games are members of a travel club. We go to maybe two thirds of away games, but drive to some, get the supporters bus to some and the train to others. Only fair way would be through some points scheme where you can provide proof of away attendance. However, as others have said, it is maybe only an issue domestically with Hearts and the Old Firm, so it maybe doesn't justify any scheme being set up.

I agree that it’s rare to have this issue, but it’s now an issue.

I’m a season ticket holder and go to as many home and away games as I can. I’m also a SMISA member (although, not active).

I’ve booked time off and hotels for our (possibly once in a lifetime, for me) European adventure, and will be absolutely gutted if I don’t get a ticket. 

So maybe ticket allocation is something that should have been thought about before now. We’ve known for some time that we were going to qualify and it’s a shame that it’s been left to the last minute to sort out. 

Anyway, it’s too late for this year to change anything, but definitely should be looked at for the future. 

IMO some sort of points based system including  SMISA membership and home/away game purchase history would be good. 

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

I think the issue is not all those who go to away games are members of a travel club. We go to maybe two thirds of away games, but drive to some, get the supporters bus to some and the train to others. Only fair way would be through some points scheme where you can provide proof of away attendance. However, as others have said, it is maybe only an issue domestically with Hearts and the Old Firm, so it maybe doesn't justify any scheme being set up.

I was only using a travel club supporter as an example of someone who is already pre paying for transport to every away game.

Clearly the same issue exists whether you drive, take a train, public bus, cycle or walk to away games. 😂 

Having a system with all the information captured electronically (even with information supplied from clubs who sell direct) is really simple and not an arduous task to produce a simple report via excel or any other spreadsheet tool.

My argument is that fans who travel to the most away games should receive priority for purchasing tickets when they are restrictions in numbers. 

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

Had we needed a big result last day of the season away to Celtic to secure European football then I’m sure we would have taken a far bigger support than what Celtic would have offered.

Our away support at Parkhead and Ibrox has dropped significantly over the last few decades for obvious reasons.

Not to sure we would have taken more since the game was on tv. 

Celtic were also getting presented with the league trophy, so they would have been looking after their own fans regardless of how important the game was to us.

Doesn't matter now anyway since it is tickets for Iceland, not 2 teams in Glasgow that is the problem  😇

Ballot’s a bit of a waste of time IMO. If it’s the Albanian team everyone who wants a ticket will get one, their ground holds 16,000, and it seems their home gates are about 6,000. The ground will be half empty for that one.

If it’s The Icelandic team and the allocation is 86 the chances of getting a ticket are very slim.  I guess there is at least 1000 in the ballot you’re looking at less than 10% chance. 
But of course the ground is like Dumbarton’s and you can stand round the side of the stadium watch the game without a ticket and there’s pictures of Zagreb fans doing that just last year. Or the game may be moved to the national stadium, in which case everyone who wants a ticket will get one. 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Lex said:

Ballot’s a bit of a waste of time IMO. If it’s the Albanian team everyone who wants a ticket will get one, their ground holds 16,000, and it seems their home gates are about 6,000. The ground will be half empty for that one.

If it’s The Icelandic team and the allocation is 86 the chances of getting a ticket are very slim.  I guess there is at least 1000 in the ballot you’re looking at less than 10% chance. 
But of course the ground is like Dumbarton’s and you can stand round the side of the stadium watch the game without a ticket and there’s pictures of Zagreb fans doing that just last year. Or the game may be moved to the national stadium, in which case everyone who wants a ticket will get one. 

1000 in the ballot?

I still hold the position that the numbers will be nowhere near that.

We have a core home support of between 4000-5000. I find it hard to believe that 20/25% of that number will have the means or flexibility to travel to Iceland or Albania at a week’s notice. 

Guess time will tell.

ETA - Also, just because someone is in the ballot, doesn’t necessarily mean they will ultimately travel. There will be folk just trying to keep their options open. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

1000 in the ballot?

I still hold the position that the numbers will be nowhere near that.

We have a core home support of between 4000-5000. I find it hard to believe that 20/25% of that number will have the means or flexibility to travel to Iceland or Albania at a week’s notice. 

Guess time will tell.

I think most people are entering the ballot without being sure if they would travel or not if they got the ticket. Nothing to lose. 

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

I think most people are entering the ballot without being sure if they would travel or not if they got the ticket. Nothing to lose. 

Perhaps I’m in the minority but I’ve not entered the ballot as due to the uncertainty of who we will play the costs to travel are likely going to be significant.

Surely by now most fans entering the ballot know whether they have the finances to travel to Iceland or Albania?

Hotels or Airbnb can be cancelled with the right kind of booking but it’s the transportation costs and restrictions on dates of travel that are putting me off.

Hopefully we can win through to the next round for a more convenient and cost affordable experience. 

Many Saints fans are just back from the Euros so holidays and cash savings must be difficult to come by.

Hope everyone who really wants to go gets a ticket. 

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Perhaps I’m in the minority but I’ve not entered the ballot as due to the uncertainty of who we will play the costs to travel are likely going to be significant.

Surely by now most fans entering the ballot know whether they have the finances to travel to Iceland or Albania?

Hotels or Airbnb can be cancelled with the right kind of booking but it’s the transportation costs and restrictions on dates of travel that are putting me off.

Hopefully we can win through to the next round for a more convenient and cost affordable experience. 

Many Saints fans are just back from the Euros so holidays and cash savings must be difficult to come by.

Hope everyone who really wants to go gets a ticket. 

I’m in an even worse position that you. I’m coming up for the home leg of this round, but was fucked for the away leg as I already had plans. Then I realised I’m goosed for both legs of the next round because we’ve got family/friends staying over here in Jersey both weeks 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️.

So I’m left praying for the unthinkable of us getting to the play off stage. 

3 hours ago, SS77 said:

If Ethan Sutherland sticks with us past the summer window I think we’ll be seeing plenty of him.

So it would seem that this lad has caught the eye of some big clubs down south. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-city-chelsea-ethan-sutherland-32639481.amp

Unfortunately the modern game means that these top clubs can hoover up our youngsters for buttons.

In an ideal scenario they buy him but allow him to get first team football with ourselves via a loan.

More likely they prefer to have then within their academies.

A bit like Dylan Reid. Wonder how he is doing?

Modern fitba is pish.

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m in an even worse position that you. I’m coming up for the home leg of this round, but was fucked for the away leg as I already had plans. Then I realised I’m goosed for both legs of the next round because we’ve got family/friends staying over here in Jersey both weeks 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️.

So I’m left praying for the unthinkable of us getting to the play off stage. 

Hopefully catch up with you for the home tie this round.

8 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

What do folk think will happen with away fans at the home leg. Given that the club will want to maximise income and the North Stand not being segregable, where will away fans be put?

I’d imagine that the away stand will house the away supporter as normal whether there are 30 fans or 1000.

I cannot imagine that we will sell all the home seats in the three other stands.

or have I misunderstood your question.

10 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

What do folk think will happen with away fans at the home leg. Given that the club will want to maximise income and the North Stand not being segregable, where will away fans be put?

At the current ticket pricing and with the quality  if opposition I think we will struggle to have a 4,000 crowd for either game .

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’d imagine that the away stand will house the away supporter as normal whether there are 30 fans or 1000.

I cannot imagine that we will sell all the home seats in the three other stands.

or have I misunderstood your question.

No mate, you didn’t misunderstand.

i guess i just thought the demand for our first home European tie in 37 years would be bigger than you or @MenstrieSaint think. 

I suppose I wasn’t thinking about the fact that our normal home crowd includes STH and this game won’t. 

As for the price, isn’t it only £3 more than our normal league games?

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2