The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah we're dogshit m8, I'm just making a joke that if you had Sidibeh or Kimpioka then you'd be strolling it as its ironic you lack that type of striker but have everything else, and we have nothing but that.

I look forward to you missing the joke and telling me about how Mandron outscored both last season.

I did think you were joking and that you have 2 guys that might just do well,  but let's wait and see.

And come January either of us could lose a striker if they are doing well.

This window is not closed yet either.

:(

My Internet died and has only just been fixed, meaning I couldn't properly shitpost about Springsteen. The moment has gone now, but @pozbaird I wasn't shitting on you going, I'm sure you enjoyed it.

Anyway...  could I just say, that despite watching a shit stream at the time, watching some highlights shows what a find Boscombe could be.

I know that we have this meta about us being lucky with keepers. Even Hemming, who was possibly the weakest keeper we've had here for a while, turned in some decent performances. Boscombe, admittedly just on the one outing I've seen, looks well up there with previous #1 jersey holders.

Dropping onto TranferMarkt and it shows he's hardly played over the last couple of seasons, which seems mental. Granted he's with Brentford in the English Premiership, so he might not break through, but he's not even been listed as a sub.

Edit: For those interested, here's what TM has him down as playing last season.. (in a spoiler, it's a large image)

Spoiler

Fb3nQqE.png

Direct link to image.

Direct link to TM.

Edited by Ric

10 hours ago, NorthBank said:

I reckon this could be Toyosi's season. He looks the most natural goalscorer we have by some distance. It was only at the end of last season he was starting games and was joint second top scorer. Make him the first striker on the team sheet and he'll produce the goods.

I would love to share your optimism and I hope he really does and I can hold my hands up and happily say I was wrong when he knocks in 15+ goals this season.

I thought there was a player in there even after he was being dismissed as being utter shite when he came on v Hearts a couple of seasons ago. He has improved immeasurably and is a better than average forward in our league.

However, his decision making in the final third lets him down. I'm hoping that he can be coached to improve in that respect, but I'm not confident.

The others flatter to deceive. Mandron goes through short spells where I think that he's turned the corner, only for him to revert to type. 

If Ayunga can find his pre-injury form then he can play a part.

No idea how Scott will turn out, but he's hardly been prolific at previous clubs.

Jamieson doesn't do it for me.

On early showings, the most natural finisher we have, in my opinion, is Idowu. If he can click, then maybe we have the answer.

However, and I know it's largely against lower league opposition so far, but I can't help looking enviously at other team's strikers knocking them in for fun. Although, plenty of them have proven themselves at a higher level already.

I think I saw Olusanya in Govan Lidl the other day. Looked really like him, but couldn't be completely sure. Decided not to mention it as (1) he was just doing a bit of shopping, let him have his private time, and (2) I wasn't 100% sure, and I didn't want to come up to him and have him say, "nah, I'm not him, do all black blokes look the same to you?"

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

If Ayunga can find his pre-injury form then he can play a part.

:
:

On early showings, the most natural finisher we have, in my opinion, is Idowu. If he can click, then maybe we have the answer.

Oh, my, how we miss the first season Ayunga, and you are right about Idowu, he looks very tidy. Maybe not the only "natural finisher", but that shift of the feet and the shot (midway through the Valur game) was exactly the sort of stuff you want to see from your midfield.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think I saw Olusanya in Govan Lidl the other day. Looked really like him, but couldn't be completely sure. Decided not to mention it as (1) he was just doing a bit of shopping, let him have his private time, and (2) I wasn't 100% sure, and I didn't want to come up to him and have him say, "nah, I'm not him, do all black blokes look the same to you?"

Oh, my, how we miss the first season Ayunga, and you are right about Idowu, he looks very tidy. Maybe not the only "natural finisher", but that shift of the feet and the shot (midway through the Valur game) was exactly the sort of stuff you want to see from your midfield.

On Idowu, I was going by his finishes in the friendly v Morten.

I’d say if we were all being honest then the strikers are definitely the big concern for this season.

The fact that we have both McMenamin and Kiltie out for months,means the management team are forced to play a much more narrow system, due to the lack of natural width.

Like others have said I hope the strikers we have go on to prove us all wrong, but none of them apart from Olusanya and Idowu fill me with any great degree of confidence.

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

On Idowu, I was going by his finishes in the friendly v Morten.

Never saw the game, but I presume he was good enough in that one for you to highlight him.

14 hours ago, Torfason said:

Looking at Aberdeen and Dundee their new strikers seem to have settled in and started scoring, I can’t help but think we don’t have enough in our front line.

Decent players, work hard for the team etc but not prolific. I’m sure Robbo has a plan but if there is any money left or if anymore is available if we get through on Thursday then we need to strengthen upfront.

13 hours ago, AW saint said:

Ross County's new striker is also in amongst the goals. 

We 100% need a new striker. What we have is ok but will not grab enough goals. 

I am not sure Robbo does have a plan to grab a striker. It is the one area I think he is blind to. 

I keep hoping he sorts it out but I am not convinced. 

Always a wee bit of envy when other teams have strikers that are scoring, but I'm not sure scoring against Stirling Albion or a very inexperienced Inverness is a good measure of how they'll do in the league.

Simon Murray is a good signing for Dundee, but would we honestly have been happy paying a (apparently sizeable) fee for a striker the wrong side of 30, who has had a pretty up and down career? 

59 minutes ago, Ric said:

Never saw the game, but I presume he was good enough in that one for you to highlight him.

Think there are videos of the goals on the club X/Twitter if you go far enough back.

He took them early and finished really well.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I’d say if we were all being honest then the strikers are definitely the big concern for this season.

The fact that we have both McMenamin and Kiltie out for months,means the management team are forced to play a much more narrow system, due to the lack of natural width.

Like others have said I hope the strikers we have go on to prove us all wrong, but none of them apart from Olusanya and Idowu fill me with any great degree of confidence.

Yeah.

Our lack of width was very evident against Valur.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

:(

My Internet died and has only just been fixed, meaning I couldn't properly shitpost about Springsteen. The moment has gone now, but @pozbaird I wasn't shitting on you going, I'm sure you enjoyed it.

Anyway...  could I just say, that despite watching a shit stream at the time, watching some highlights shows what a find Boscombe could be.

I know that we have this meta about us being lucky with keepers. Even Hemming, who was possibly the weakest keeper we've had here for a while, turned in some decent performances. Boscombe, admittedly just on the one outing I've seen, looks well up there with previous #1 jersey holders.

Dropping onto TranferMarkt and it shows he's hardly played over the last couple of seasons, which seems mental. Granted he's with Brentford in the English Premiership, so he might not break through, but he's not even been listed as a sub.

Edit: For those interested, here's what TM has him down as playing last season.. (in a spoiler, it's a large image)

Reveal hidden contents

Fb3nQqE.png

Direct link to image.

Direct link to TM.

Absolutely no offence taken Ric. I know you weren’t having a pop at those who do like Springsteen. I mean, I don’t care much for Greenock Morton Football Club, but I applaud their fans for going to see them and not following an ugly. I never have a go at them. They already suffer enough.

Anyway, buzzing for Thursday now. Sold out, Europe…. Do the teams line up and they play a UEFA Conference League theme? Or have I taken that too far, wee diddies in a wee diddy cup don’t get a song. 😜

Edited by pozbaird

12 hours ago, NorthBank said:

I reckon this could be Toyosi's season. He looks the most natural goalscorer we have by some distance. It was only at the end of last season he was starting games and was joint second top scorer. Make him the first striker on the team sheet and he'll produce the goods.

The goal he scored against Carlisle was a real strikers goal. I agree he could be a real asset. His decision making is suspect but he will improve. 

I keep hoping our strikers will take more of our chances. We created well against Valur despite lacking width but our finishing was appalling. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed Robbo finally bags a striker before the window shuts. 

3 hours ago, Ric said:

I think I saw Olusanya in Govan Lidl the other day. 

i seen him in aldi renfrew a couple of weeks ago 🛒 obviously a thrifty shopper 🤑 i too didnt bother him but i can report a very healthy trolley