The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I notice that Ethan Sutherland wasn't involved at all yesterday. Does anyone know if he had a fitness issue ? I'm hoping this isn’t a sign of him being about to be sent away on another loan period in the seaside leagues or, even worse, sold to the highest bidder. This ought to be his big breakthrough season with us.

I think he’ll go out on loan. Unfortunately for him, Brown has started superbly and we’ve got Tanser too. I’m not sure if Sutherland will get game time - Fraser Taylor looks to be the ‘top’ youngster for playing time given his appearance against Valur.

Good performances, new players adding to the team, club is 2nd in the league, off field issues seemed to have died down, it feels like it's going all too smoothly for my liking..

Spoiler

mc3av9y.png

16 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I haven't a clue what the Balcombe / Gogic goal kick routine is meant to achieve / create, but every time they've attempted it the result has been one of them blootering the sphere up the park.

Surely there's a genius tactic here that I haven't figured out yet ? 

I thought the thinking behind it is if the keeper just blasts the ball up from a kick out, the opposition basically have two banks of Defence / midfield to win the ball.  If they pass the ball about or play out from the back , the opposition midfield will creep forward and split from the defence leaving gaps.

I could be wrong , I often am ! 

1 minute ago, saintmurn said:

Potential trip to Kazakhstan if we beat Brann 😂

If not then it's a second division team from Romania. 

That Romanian mob are worth 758 points in Scrabble. Time to bring on the Brann. Intae’ thum!

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

How come second division? Did they win the cup or something? 

They won the cup.

Hunedora is about 7 hours away from Bucharest and about 2 and a half hours away from Timisoara.

Astana is hardly the best place to get to either.

The travel gods haven't been kind to us.

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I see the Romanian team are for Transylvania. I expect they’ll have bit of bite about them and they’ll probably just go for the jugular…….

Sorry 🤦‍♂️

Goalkeeper is scared of crosses apparently.

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

They won the cup.

Hunedora is about 7 hours away from Bucharest and about 2 and a half hours away from Timisoara.

Astana is hardly the best place to get to either.

The travel gods haven't been kind to us.

If it is against Hunedoara (although I would think Astana should be the favourites) then the game will probably be in Sibiu (well it was in previously rounds). As there stadium doesn't meet UEFA requirements.

Although I am not sure if that actually makes travel any easier. Maybe three hours travel from Cluj.

Edited by Turkmenbashi

No Idea why but Astana played their previous European game in Almaty so, if we go through and get them and if that's still the case at the end of the month then don't worry Buds, you'll definitely get tickets in a half empty stadium. 

5 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

If it is against Hunedoara (although I would think Astana should be the favourites) then the game will probably be in Sibiu (well it was in previously rounds). As there stadium doesn't meet UEFA requirements.

Although I am not sure if that actually makes travel any easier.

Sibiu has an airport apparently.

Still be really tough to get into the group stage but we definitely have a shout.

Contrast with Killie..... they're more likely to beat Tromso than we are Brann. Probably Copenhagen after that though who got to the last 16 of the Champions League earlier in the year, beating Man Utd and Galatasaray en route. End of European campaign you would assume.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

Anyway.

Missed the game yesterday.

Going from the highlights only it would seem that a better team than Hibs might have taken advantage of some defensive slackness. Between them, Vente and Boyle missed chances that I suspect better strikers would have finished.

Idowu's goal was sublime. Having that level of trickery to make the space, then having the confidence to hit the ball early, with so much quality was great to see. He'll cause problems for better defences than Hibs. It looks like he may well be one of the answers to our boosting our goal scoring as I already suggested. the Shrewsbury fans were pretty glad to offload Idowu as he was a "headless chicken" . Just a pity they don't have a manger as good as Robbo.

The defending for Smyth's goals, which he took with great composure, was awful.

Some great blocks by the defence to prevent shots getting in and another couple of very smart saves from Balcombe.

Fantastic to see Scott's assists and hopefully as his fitness and confidence grows he'll be a key player for us.

Having game changing subs really matters. We've now got a core of subs, that you feel can improve the team, or at least maintain momentum, when they come on.

Good job well done in the end.