The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

The club should only pay a transfer fee to get someone who fits into our wage structure. This euro money might only be this season, no guarantee of it next year, so you don't want to be lumbered with a player on high wages without the income to pay it

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

If we had a wad of cash I doubt we'd spend it all on one player. And as history has shown spending money does not guarantee success. Clubs with incomes well in excess of us were very disappointing last season. We spent a lot on Brophy and that was a financial disaster. And any spare cash we do have a percentage should go to extending Robinson's contract as he is the most important employee we have and our greatest asset.

Brophy was a massive disappointment but nowhere near as much as Fraser Wishart….. we pished a huge amount on him and he was the biggest waste of money ever.

4 minutes ago, meadowroadsaint said:

Brophy was a massive disappointment but nowhere near as much as Fraser Wishart….. we pished a huge amount on him and he was the biggest waste of money ever.

Aye, certainly not the worst example. Just pointing out we made him the highest ever player at the Club for 2 years and got zero footballing return and losing a lot of money in the process even if we got a transfer fee for him. Just an example of pushing the boat out and it sinks.

There's not a chance in hell of us paying £500K for a player.

Anyway,........................

Worryingly quiet from us at the moment.

I hope it's not due to injuries to players.

22 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Aye, certainly not the worst example. Just pointing out we made him the highest ever player at the Club for 2 years and got zero footballing return and losing a lot of money in the process even if we got a transfer fee for him. Just an example of pushing the boat out and it sinks.

Aye, both players massive disappointments to Saints Fans, seems to bite harder for Clubs our size but trust in SR not to do anything like those two.

16 minutes ago, FTOF said:

There's not a chance in hell of us paying £500K for a player.

Anyway,........................

Worryingly quiet from us at the moment.

I hope it's not due to injuries to players.

Yes , that crossed my mind ! Gogic ?

2 hours ago, NorthBank said:

If we had a wad of cash I doubt we'd spend it all on one player. And as history has shown spending money does not guarantee success. Clubs with incomes well in excess of us were very disappointing last season. We spent a lot on Brophy and that was a financial disaster. And any spare cash we do have a percentage should go to extending Robinson's contract as he is the most important employee we have and our greatest asset.

When he finally goes though, let's get the Brann manager 

3 hours ago, meadowroadsaint said:

I see your Fraser Wishart and I raise you Steve Archibald. 

I thought Wishart was a St Mirren supporter? I was sorry to see Tommy Wilson leave and obviously the £285k wasn't great but I never understood the dislike for Wishart. Much like Manley, they were poor value for money but still put in the effort. 

5 hours ago, Torfason said:

I thought Wishart was a St Mirren supporter? I was sorry to see Tommy Wilson leave and obviously the £285k wasn't great but I never understood the dislike for Wishart. Much like Manley, they were poor value for money but still put in the effort. 

He also got a big signing fee on top of that.

He was rotten for us .

He then left for nothing and actually put in good shifts for Hearts and Rangers showing his Motherwell form.

Hence the dislike 

13 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Weird St. Mirren obsessed sheep on our thread spouting ill informed nonsense.

Thank you for illustrating the point I was making i.e. would we be prepared to splash a large proportion of the cash we’ve made on one player? Doubt it. 

Says a guy all over Aberdeen threads and posters.

You should look up irony in the dictionary.

On the 4th or 5th attempt you should understand it.

13 hours ago, billyg said:

Yes , that crossed my mind ! Gogic ?

Just as I thought , hope he makes it , otherwise it's curtains for sure. 

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Probably not.

For Aberdeen it's definitely not.

But why ? , I mean , they were a great team in the 80s .................................. 

Just now, billyg said:

Just as I thought , hope he makes it , otherwise it's curtains for sure. 

The problem with such a small squad is injuries to key players. Gogic would be a real blow if he is out. 

Losing the likes of MOH and Kiltie has impacted massively imo. 

9 minutes ago, billyg said:

But why ? , I mean , they were a great team in the 80s .................................. 

Obsessed with the 80s aren't you.

I would say even last season we got in the group stage. Even that is something you will never have.

Talking of great teams, our reserves thrashed you on Sunday. You certainly aren't a great team. Keep on hoofing it !