The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Ryan Flynn leaves St Mirrenpublished at 23:08 British Summer Time

23:08 BST

Ryan Flynn has left St Mirren as he completes a move to Arbroath.

St Mirren wished him well, calling him an "ultimate professional and fans' favourite".

They continue to say: "After a six-year stay at Saints, Ryan moves on with utmost respect from his peers, staff & supporters for everything he contributed during his time at the club.

"He will always be welcome at The SMiSA Stadium. Thank you Flynniesta."

Just now, Kempes said:

Flynniesta joins Arbroath. Player coach role maybe?

I've found the Flynn situation very odd.

Offered a player-coach role at St Mirren in May then we hear nothing. Into pre-season then season proper and it's obvious that he's no longer at the club. Still no word. Last day of August it's announced that he's signed for Arbroath, presumably part-time.

Surely he'd have been better off staying with us? Weird.

2 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I've found the Flynn situation very odd.

Offered a player-coach role at St Mirren in May then we hear nothing. Into pre-season then season proper and it's obvious that he's no longer at the club. Still no word. Last day of August it's announced that he's signed for Arbroath, presumably part-time.

Surely he'd have been better off staying with us? Weird.

I'd have thought if he was going to Arbroath it would have been as a player / manager, not just a player. 

It is weird as I thought his contract was up in May so would have been announced as one of the freed players.

13 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Ryan Flynn leaves St Mirrenpublished at 23:08 British Summer Time

23:08 BST

Ryan Flynn has left St Mirren as he completes a move to Arbroath.

St Mirren wished him well, calling him an "ultimate professional and fans' favourite".

They continue to say: "After a six-year stay at Saints, Ryan moves on with utmost respect from his peers, staff & supporters for everything he contributed during his time at the club.

"He will always be welcome at The SMiSA Stadium. Thank you Flynniesta."

The last survivor on my 2017/18 Championship Winners Mug to go - time to shed a manly tear or two. 😭

5 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I'd have thought if he was going to Arbroath it would have been as a player / manager, not just a player. 

It is weird as I thought his contract was up in May so would have been announced as one of the freed players.

Has signed for Arbroath as a player. Was announced in May that he'd been offered a player/coach role with us. For whatever reason, he obviously didn't accept that deal.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Could Flynn still get about the park ok or was he looking like he was getting on a bit? 

Baring in mind fitness level required at L1 be a bit below what’s required in the Prem. 

Will be absolutely fine in the middle of the park. Actually filled in at wing back for us last season.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Could Flynn still get about the park ok or was he looking like he was getting on a bit? 

Baring in mind fitness level required at L1 be a bit below what’s required in the Prem. 

I wouldn't over stress about his ability to get around the park 

Couple of our strikers look like they are stuck in quicksand most weekends 🤦

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Can play in a couple of positions and puts in a shift , has been a favourite of the Saints fans .

Wouldn't read too much into Van Veen's spell with us. Thought his quality was clear every single time he was on the pitch, even if he wasn't the fittest. He was a bit unlucky in that Vassell and Watkins were both brilliant in the run-in and both stayed fit the whole time, so neither him nor Greg Stewart really got a proper go of it.

I will die on the hill that it was a successful signing for us purely because of the lift it gave the fans and the fact he didn't go to you at that point.