The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

On 07/09/2024 at 06:39, djchapsticks said:

Pep Guardiola's tactical approach has honestly killed top level football as a spectacle for me. Creativity and genuinely exciting players at that level have been replaced with mindless possession machines who will pass the ball sideways rather than run at a man.

Ball retention takes precedence above anything else.

Came on here to have a look at the van Veen chat and this caught my eye.  Absolutely bang on the money.  I remember watching the Man City v Arsenal game towards the end of last season.  Both teams fighting for the title and the played out the most boring 0-0 I've seen in years.  Two Spanish c***s reducing the game to 22 robots doing what has been programmed into them.  

Don't get me started on the stupid practise with defenders taking goal kicks to the goalkeeper to then launch it 60 yards.  Had to watch that with McKenna & Angus Gunn. Infuriating, especially when the shite goalie just launches it back to the opposition anyway.

Going back to van Veen, it really depends on what his heid is like. There's no doubting he's a quality player but expecting him to get anywhere near his last season at Motherwell is bonkers.  His career shows that he'd never done it before but more importantly, KVV knew himself he was playing for the big contract that was coming his way.  Motherwell weren't going to stand in his way and he wanted that big contract to set himself, his partner and the baby that was on way, up. 

Going back to the Netherlands was good for him financially, but not great personally as his missus and newborn stayed in Scotland.  He'll certainly be happier being in Scotland with his family, but KVV without something to aim for?  It'll be interesting to see from afar but I wouldn't have the hopes too high.  He'll certainly be far better in a front two, however, and he obviously has a bit of experience of playing alongside big Mandron.  

4 minutes ago, Desp said:

Came on here to have a look at the van Veen chat and this caught my eye.  Absolutely bang on the money.  I remember watching the Man City v Arsenal game towards the end of last season.  Both teams fighting for the title and the played out the most boring 0-0 I've seen in years.  Two Spanish c***s reducing the game to 22 robots doing what has been programmed into them.  

Don't get me started on the stupid practise with defenders taking goal kicks to the goalkeeper to then launch it 60 yards.  Had to watch that with McKenna & Angus Gunn. Infuriating, especially when the shite goalie just launches it back to the opposition anyway.

Going back to van Veen, it really depends on what his heid is like. There's no doubting he's a quality player but expecting him to get anywhere near his last season at Motherwell is bonkers.  His career shows that he'd never done it before but more importantly, KVV knew himself he was playing for the big contract that was coming his way.  Motherwell weren't going to stand in his way and he wanted that big contract to set himself, his partner and the baby that was on way, up. 

Going back to the Netherlands was good for him financially, but not great personally as his missus and newborn stayed in Scotland.  He'll certainly be happier being in Scotland with his family, but KVV without something to aim for?  It'll be interesting to see from afar but I wouldn't have the hopes too high.  He'll certainly be far better in a front two, however, and he obviously has a bit of experience of playing alongside big Mandron.  

To be honest, I think most people's expectations on here are pretty well managed.

From my perspective, I am not expecting anything like the Van Veen of that season at Motherwell. If he can be a 12-15 goals a season man, I'll be absolutely delighted. Any less is a meh and anything more will be an absolute bonus.

48 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

To be honest, I think most people's expectations on here are pretty well managed.

From my perspective, I am not expecting anything like the Van Veen of that season at Motherwell. If he can be a 12-15 goals a season man, I'll be absolutely delighted. Any less is a meh and anything more will be an absolute bonus.

If both he and Toyosei can hit double figures then we will be in a good place. 

Robbo has a habit of getting the best out of players. I am sure he can help KVV find some form. 

28 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Robbo has a habit of getting the best out of players. I am sure he can help KVV find some form. 

This will be key.  Robinson knows what he's doing, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him get a tune out of KVV.  Or, do what he did when he re-signed Ross McCormack for Motherwell and launch him back out the club within the month...

4 minutes ago, Desp said:

This will be key.  Robinson knows what he's doing, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him get a tune out of KVV.  Or, do what he did when he re-signed Ross McCormack for Motherwell and launch him back out the club within the month...

I’ve mentioned this a bit on our thread but I’ve always thought that while it’s true that Robinson has a clear ability to get the best out of certain players his record (with us) of getting a tune out of strikers he brought to the club was pretty patchy.

Especially a certain *type* of striker. You mentioned him bombing McCormack out the club, I’d say KVV and Ciftci are/were similar players and it was only that one game against Accies that we ever got to see Nadir just cook.

All his other appearances were really just pretty functional performances.

As you say, it could probably go either way with KVV it’s about how motivated Kev is and how much leeway Robinson willing to give to indulge him.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I’ve mentioned this a bit on our thread but I’ve always thought that while it’s true that Robinson has a clear ability to get the best out of certain players his record (with us) of getting a tune out of strikers he brought to the club was pretty patchy.

Especially a certain *type* of striker. You mentioned him bombing McCormack out the club, I’d say KVV and Ciftci are/were similar players and it was only that one game against Accies that we ever got to see Nadir just cook.

All his other appearances were really just pretty functional performances.

As you say, it could probably go either way with KVV it’s about how motivated Kev is and how much leeway Robinson willing to give to indulge him.

Key to the whole thing, I'd imagine, would be Keith Lasley rather than Robinson. I'm not sure Robbo goes after KVV quite so persistently without any input from Keith.

He'll have far more experience working with KVV than any of our management team and I'm sure his input and feedback would have been extensive regarding him.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Key to the whole thing, I'd imagine, would be Keith Lasley rather than Robinson. I'm not sure Robbo goes after KVV quite so persistently without any input from Keith.

He'll have far more experience working with KVV than any of our management team and I'm sure his input and feedback would have been extensive regarding him.

Las was already at St Mirren by the time we got the best out of KVV was he not?

Edit; Yes he was, Lasley left at the end of the Alexander-ball season and KVV's best form was the season after that, he still showed flashes of a decent player before that but it was inconsistent.

Edited by camer0n_mcd

16 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Las was already at St Mirren by the time we got the best out of KVV was he not?

Edit; Yes he was, Lasley left at the end of the Alexander-ball season and KVV's best form was the season after that, he still showed flashes of a decent player before that but it was inconsistent.

To be fair, half of the concerns some of our fans have is regarding attitude and apllication rather than his ability. Lasley will have still been at Motherwell for Van Veen's first season so will have known if he was problematic.

Also, might not be popular but if he gives us a season in the vein of his first at Motherwell, I'd be pretty happy with that. 

Screenshot_20240910_052623_Chrome.jpg.019ed3a87b1b69728dbef6a1b4f0650d.jpg

Edited by djchapsticks

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

To be fair, half of the concerns some of our fans have is regarding attitude and apllication rather than his ability. Lasley will have still been at Motherwell for Van Veen's first season so will have known if he was problematic.

Also, might not be popular but if he gives us a season in the vein of his first at Motherwell, I'd be pretty happy with that. 

Screenshot_20240910_052623_Chrome.jpg.019ed3a87b1b69728dbef6a1b4f0650d.jpg

I think that sums it up. The assumption is we are expecting/hoping for the 25 goal season. In reality if he gets 10+ then he will have been a success. 

Looks like our vice-chairman isn't off to the blue bigots after all.

St Mirren vice-chairman Jim Gillespie is set to drop out of the race to become the next chief executive of Rangers.

The Ibrox club targeted the 46-year-old after previous CEO James Bisgrove moved to the Middle East in June.

Discussions reached an advanced stage, with Gillespie the frontrunner to land the job up until last week.

However, Mail Sport now understands that the trail has cooled on Gillespie, who is CEO of Renfrewshire children’s charity Kibble.

Other reports suggest Jim withdrew from talks and told them yesterday that he was staying with the Saints. Either way, I am glad that he is staying at the club. If we can keep the key folk here, and I’m obviously including Robbo and Keith, we have a chance of building something and progressing.

56 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Maybe his Salary , job security , employment terms and conditions ( including pension ) are rather good at Kibble .

I don’t think the banners saying, “back the manager and SACK the board” would have tempted him to join!