The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

With regards to Rooney I'm surprised so little of what actually happened has actually come to light , bearing in mind the incident happened in a very public place . Reckon the mutual parting aways has been agreed so that Shaun can sign for another team by the end of the month . 

19 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

With regards to Rooney I'm surprised so little of what actually happened has actually come to light , bearing in mind the incident happened in a very public place . Reckon the mutual parting aways has been agreed so that Shaun can sign for another team by the end of the month . 

He can’t play for anyone until January and I doubt any team is going to take him on with this hanging over him.

Good to see the club deal with it in the right manner, quick and decisive.

14 minutes ago, SS77 said:

..I doubt any team is going to take him on with this hanging over him.

I'm far more cynical than you, I believe some club will pick him up on the basis that he is "a reformed character" and he is sorry for his "miscalculation".

He's a decent player, someone who could make the difference between relegation and survival, and he'll be available for free. Too tempting for some managers/clubs, imo.

Rooney must not have a leg to stand on whatever the details are. Clubs normally are a bit more forgiving when it's one of their better players.

No player should really ever be denied to make a living out of the game for mistakes so unless this turns out to be something truly heinous, then I hope Rooney finally takes the opportunity to evaluate his life and screw the nut. He's a good player but you can even tell on the pitch, he's an utter welt of a guy.

Declan Gallagher played for Scotland after attacking someone with a baseball bat and going to jail so I'm sure it's not the last we've seen of Rooney but he really needs to learn his lesson with this and take his medicine here lest he allows himself to live a life as a complete waster.

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'm far more cynical than you, I believe some club will pick him up on the basis that he is "a reformed character" and he is sorry for his "miscalculation".

He's a decent player, someone who could make the difference between relegation and survival, and he'll be available for free. Too tempting for some managers/clubs, imo.

Oh aye, a team will absolutely take a punt on him later on down the line but I’m meaning in the immediate future I can’t see anyone happy to take him on with the backlash it’ll cause with supporters.

1 minute ago, SS77 said:

Oh aye, a team will absolutely take a punt on him later on down the line but I’m meaning in the immediate future I can’t see anyone happy to take him on with the backlash it’ll cause with supporters.

Livi 100%

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Rooney must not have a leg to stand on whatever the details are. Clubs normally are a bit more forgiving when it's one of their better players.

Yeah, normally a club will try and do its best not to "lose a financial asset", finally yielding to public pressure once it builds to a certain level. Here, it's pretty much been done behind closed doors (which I am not against) and both parties seem willing to split. You'd guess if not then this wouldn't have come around so fast. I really don't know what to make of it. Is it a case where the offence is too much for the club to support him? Do we have an alternative lined up and need to shift the wage, realising if we hold onto him it could be months before he appears in the dock? Has Rooney felt that returning to Glasgow was a bad idea, gotten himself into bother and just wants to exit stage left and go and get a gig abroad? Who knows...

1 minute ago, SS77 said:

I think that's where my cynicism comes in, I honestly think some fans will not consider this a red line (to be fair, we don't know the full details to judge) and clubs will happily take a hit on public image if it means saving several hundreds of thousands of pounds.

3 hours ago, Silvio Tattiescone said:

Unless he's in jail

Would that be the same jails letting out hardened career criminals . He has lost his job due to his own aggression stupidity, community service and a fine will be the out come. Myself and 12 others lost quite a bit of money to an accountant who went off the rails. Sentence was community service. If the sum involved was robbed from a post office it would have been jail. I asked CID  why he was not jailed. Answer jails are full. This country is falling apart at the seems. Rooney will probably stand tril in five years. 

8 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Would that be the same jails letting out hardened career criminals..

Do you pay for the Daily Mail to be delivered to your door, or are you someone who has an online subscription?

50 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

I noticed the statement from the club didn't even wish him well for the future.

Good point, actually, I thought it was a bit bare bones as this whole process has been done out of the public eye, but yeah... you'd expect a "we'd like to thank Shaun for..." but no.. that statement is as curt as I've ever seen from a club about a player leaving.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Good point, actually, I thought it was a bit bare bones as this whole process has been done out of the public eye, but yeah... you'd expect a "we'd like to thank Shaun for..." but no.. that statement is as curt as I've ever seen from a club about a player leaving.

To be fair, the only thing he really did in a St Mirren shirt was wind up some Norwegians and kick Kyle Vassell twice, so there really isn't a lot to thank him for.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Guy's been charged with assaulting a woman and a hate crime. We're thanking him for nothing.

I think the point is that it's obvious by its omission, rather than it should be included.