The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yes, and our bottom line financial position didn't change. 

Well, yes it did. Quite significantly in fact. You brought in a shit load of money and spent some of it.

The cost of players to the club after January was higher than before January - thats not neutral.

17 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Well, yes it did. Quite significantly in fact. You brought in a shit load of money and spent some of it.

The cost of players to the club after January was higher than before January - thats not neutral.

JR was told in Jan there was no money. If he wanted to change the squad he would have to get rid of players which he did. Others said we paid off 10 players - LIE. We may have paid off 1 player but got rid of another 9 at no cost. We sold Naismith to a desperate RC and the Club asked the fans for money and we donated 8K. We also sold McAllister but I know for a fact that money has not been touched. I never said what we done was at zero cost but at minimum cost but that has been misrepresented several times. I acknowledged we may have paid off Gallagher and that some wages increased. All off set by Naismith's and the Fans' money. What is hard for you lot to understand about that? You make up figures and 'suggestions' when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Brilliant housekeeping by the Club. But let your jealousy eat away at you and continue to misrepresent the facts.

1 minute ago, NorthBank said:

JR was told in Jan there was no money. If he wanted to change the squad he would have to get rid of players which he did. Others said we paid off 10 players - LIE. We may have paid off 1 player but got rid of another 9 at no cost. We sold Naismith to a desperate RC and the Club asked the fans for money and we donated 8K. We also sold McAllister but I know for a fact that money has not been touched. I never said what we done was at zero cost but at minimum cost but that has been misrepresented several times. I acknowledged we may have paid off Gallagher and that some wages increased. All off set by Naismith's and the Fans' money. What is hard for you lot to understand about that? You make up figures and 'suggestions' when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Brilliant housekeeping by the Club. But let your jealousy eat away at you and continue to misrepresent the facts.

NB you forgot the cup money from the Celtic game as well.

the fact GS and JR are financial wizards seem to upset a few.

long may it continue :thumsup2

9 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

In other words, the club spent money in January and the outcome wasnt neutral. At last!

You've just confirmed the "facts". The club spent money, that it could well afford, to avoid relegation.

Its nothing to be ashamed of, most clubs would love to have had the cash windfalls St Mirren received.

Jealousy? :lol:

10 hours ago, virginton said:

Utterly delusional nonsense. Handing Rory Loy for example a £10k bonus for avoiding relegation is precisely an example of 'buying your way out of trouble'. That is a direct £10k package to a footballer that less desperate clubs simply do not offer at this level. Of course, some credit lies with the fact that it ended up going to sufficient players to get you out of trouble (Morton's similar effort in the January window in 2014 didn't exactly work out well) but to claim that it was a financially neutral window is bollocks. I believe that Skyline Drifter has already shredded that argument to bits.

The proof of that pudding, incidentally, is the understated nature of your business in this window. If Saint Mirren didn't invest heavily and unsustainably in January then why are you currently rummaging around the clearance bins for part-time players and Dale Hilson? If Ross rated those players highly enough to achieve your *unstated* aims at this level then why didn't he just pay the token fees needed to release the same players from their contracts six months ago?

Any rational viewer of the situation would arrive at this straightforward conclusion: Saint Mirren's investment in January was unsustainable and therefore involved 'buying their way out of trouble'. Now that the immediate crisis is over they're suffering a relative hangover in terms of their activity in the transfer market due to that business. Which is what an utterly failed 'big team' like yourselves have dealt with every summer since you slithered down to this level. And leads to a repeating cycle of utter failure.

Hard lines.

1498604879959.jpg

Scrambling for relevance ^^^ with yet more unsubstantiated and jealousy tinged garbage. 

Thanks for playing etc.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

In other words, the club spent money in January and the outcome wasnt neutral. At last!

You've just confirmed the "facts". The club spent money, that it could well afford, to avoid relegation.

Its nothing to be ashamed of, most clubs would love to have had the cash windfalls St Mirren received.

Jealousy? :lol:

Whit are you talking about? I never stated at any point zero outlay. Try reading all my posts again. I stated minimum outlay that was self-financed.

Give me strength from the pedants who lie, suggest or otherwise bend the facts.

2 hours ago, ford prefect said:

Some people are fair getting their knickers in a twist over a team who just escaped relegation. Surely they can't be worried about us?

Given your signings so far, I wouldn't have thought so tbh.

20 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Given your signings so far, I wouldn't have thought so tbh.

I would rather we were flying under the radar tbh. There are still more signings in the pipeline and I would trust JR to get the best from our squad, even allowing for players who are a potential risk given their lack of experience at this level.

41 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Whit are you talking about? I never stated at any point zero outlay. Try reading all my posts again. I stated minimum outlay that was self-financed.

Give me strength from the pedants who lie, suggest or otherwise bend the facts.

I dont think you even know what you're arguing about anymore :lol:

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

I dont think you even know what you're arguing about anymore :lol:

I am dismissing the wrong representation that is being made and repeated. Some people for whatever reason just have to split hairs and make up garbage to justify their opiniont.

I replied in the first instance to a Morton fan who asked if we had spent a considerable amount of this season's budget in January. I think I showed that was not the case but some posters had to jump in and distort the facts. St Mirren did not spend this year's budget in January. St Mirren had to self finance the relatively little expenditure increase in January as there was no other money. There. What do you not understand about that :):)

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I am dismissing the wrong representation that is being made and repeated. Some people for whatever reason just have to split hairs and make up garbage to justify their opiniont.

I replied in the first instance to a Morton fan who asked if we had spent a considerable amount of this season's budget in January. I think I showed that was not the case but some posters had to jump in and distort the facts. St Mirren did not spend this year's budget in January. St Mirren had to self finance the relatively little expenditure increase in January as there was no other money. There. What do you not understand about that :):)

I understand that perfectly, its just it isnt what you originally said and its certainly not what you implied.

The representation being made is that St Mirren spent money in January, that they could afford, to stay up. Im not sure why you're trying to dismiss that when its true.

Anyway, as CoventrySaint said, its probably time to draw a line under it

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I would rather we were flying under the radar tbh. There are still more signings in the pipeline and I would trust JR to get the best from our squad, even allowing for players who are a potential risk given their lack of experience at this level.

True. I know a lot of those signings will be inexpensive gambles but signing so many from lower league football all at once looks like an unnecessary risk to me. United may have signed fewer players, but they look like the kind of players that will get them out of the league. I'm not sure that St Mirren's signings - Cammy Smith aside - are.