The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

No harm intended to Ayr but that would be a genuine kick in the balls if Liam Smith went back out on loan to any championship side as he'd walk into most teams in the lower half of the Premier League, ours included.

I've hoped we'd go all out to get him back this season but it doesn't look like Stubbs is really interested.

A kick in the balls to Smith, as much as anything. Neither he, nor any potential buying clubs, will learn any more about him by him spending any more time in the Championship.

He basically completed it last season. Going back again would be like replaying the level, fully powered up, just because you can.

36 minutes ago, Zing. said:

Chris Humphrey was pish for us in the Championship lads. Had one good game then was dreadful thereafter. Was also an injury prone mess for a lot of his contract.

Hmm. Cheers.

We seem to be playing 'hit and hope' at the moment.

Humphrey was a smashing player for us but he seems to be pretty much done now through injury.

He was loaned out to Barrow from Bury last season but ended up being sent back:

“He’s had problems with his shin – four or five years ago, he had a bone graft, and since he has been here, he has never been comfortable.

He has been playing with pain-killers, and the Maidstone game really knocked it on the head. He felt it a lot, with it being on the artificial turf as well.

He has been training with pain and he has been playing with pain, and he has not been the same Chris that I know and that Grant (Holt, the AFC player/coach who played alongside Humphrey at Hibernian last season) knows. Grant knows him very well, and especially after the Torquay game, I said to him that Chris wasn’t right.

http://www.barrowafc.com/humphrey-heads-back-bury/

1 hour ago, McG said:

Don’t think we will be signing Humphrey.

The only way we'd be signing Humphrey, is if he could prove that the injuries associated with his ankle have cleared up. Sadly for him, based on his most recent career, it would seem unlikely that this will be the case..

4 hours ago, McG said:

Don’t think we will be signing Humphrey.

No point bringing in someone for the sake of it. He clearly has had injury problems. Better looking at other targets. 

Edited by AW saint

Was Humphrey not the shite Motherwell winger? Ainsworth was the good one. 

Ask Danny Grainger when playing full back against him... Humphrey had a great record against him. Probably still wakes up in a cold sweat thinking about him.

I heard his injuries had taken the edge off his pace and without it he wouldn’t even be a footballer. I would be surprised if you end up signing him. Shame as when in full flow, he was entertaining to watch.

23 hours ago, FTOF said:

The only way we'd be signing Humphrey, is if he could prove that the injuries associated with his ankle have cleared up. Sadly for him, based on his most recent career, it would seem unlikely that this will be the case..

Being reported that he's not being offered a deal, due to fitness concerns.

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Ross (as opposed to Rod) Stewart.  Discuss please.

Potentially very good. Raw player who has the makings of a good goalscorer. I'd like to see him given a chance this season but Stubbs thinks he needs to work on the physical side of his game. 

I'm assuming it will be a loan? 

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Ross (as opposed to Rod) Stewart.  Discuss please.

I can give you a one word review: "Potential"

If he does and when he does achieve that potential is entirely up to debate.

He was loaned out to Alloa and did well in the 1st div so I suppose championship is the next one to test him. He never really got a run out for us in that league last season.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd really hope so, as I think there is a player in him. I've heard several rumours of it being a full transfer. Not recently mind, and not in relation to Ross County.

Edited by Buddist Monk

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Potentially very good. Raw player who has the makings of a good goalscorer. I'd like to see him given a chance this season but Stubbs thinks he needs to work on the physical side of his game. 

Cheers chaps.

We've had a bid accepted according to the same guy in the Express who got the Brian Graham deal first.

He also completely whiffed on the  Gary Irvine signing, but he seems to be on the money more often than not.

We've got a few "raw" players in the squad, which makes the potential there quite exciting. McManus and Paton both look like real prospects, and another one in this Stewart character, it seems.

5 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I can give you a one word review: "Potential"

If he does and when he does achieve that potential is entirely up to debate.

He was loaned out to Alloa and did well in the 1st div so I suppose championship is the next one to test him. He never really got a run out for us in that league last season.

I'd really hope so, as I think there is a player in him. I've heard several rumours of it being a full transfer. Not recently mind, and not in relation to Ross County.

I'll likely rage if it's a permanent transfer given that we barely have a fucking centre forward, are already in the market for one and this means we'll now need two, two days before the season begins. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I'll likely rage if it's a permanent transfer given that we barely have a fucking centre forward, are already in the market for one and this means we'll now need two, two days before the season begins. 

Cannot disagree with that at all.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Surely if Stewart is being allowed to go at this particular point Stubbs MUST have at least one other striker ready to put pen to paper?

2 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Surely if Stewart is being allowed to go at this particular point Stubbs MUST have at least one other striker ready to put pen to paper?

Going by Stubbs' comments both at the Q&A and on the radio, it wouldn't sound like he does. More that he expects he'll get something.