The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

5 minutes ago, Div said:

The recruitment this Summer has been really frustrating, I think everyone is feeling that.

We've firstly had to recruit a goalkeeper, unexpectedly, because of the Carson fall out, and the general feeling, and this is no harm to Hemming, is that the current first choice goalkeeper is not as good as the one we've lost. I don't think that's hugely controversial.

Then we've re-signed Chilli D, who was superb first part of last season, but who certainly tailed off a bit towards the end of the season.

McMenamin looked a great bit of business, only to then come in and be played at LWB in his first real game, then also got injured.

Nahmani also looks a good signing, but that then took about 5 weeks for him to arrive, and he's nowhere close to being fit to play.

And we got Mandron, who, let's be honest, looks fairly underwhelming.

Then there is the "exciting striker" we were promised "in the next day or so" a week ago, who is still not here.

In between all that we've played two games against lower league opposition and lost them both without scoring a goal.

You can understand why folk are getting agitated.

This is a very fair assessment with the added note that Mandron is not fit yet either.

It's far better we start badly but have a good season rather than the other way around.

However, we did not have the depth in the squad last season, even though we signed an additional LWB in January. So I would hope and expect that there will be more incoming than going out.

We must surely have a decent amount of our budget left.

I expect 3 incoming in the next couple of weeks.

"And we want to bring one more in. I will know more later but it's something we are relatively confident on. It would be a loan. We want someone in until Christmas before Jonah (Ayunga) is fully fit again.

"I would imagine that's my squad set if I get another striker in but you never know. If bids come in, you have to be able to react."

So the mystery striker appears to be a short term loan.... Have we really used all our budget up on McMenamin and Mandron?

Edited by Marko van Haddock

5 minutes ago, saintmurn said:

Looks like the striker is on a loan deal til Christmas. 

Robinson again reiterating that once the new striker arrives there will be no more signings unless anyone leaves:

I would imagine that's my squad set if I get another striker in but you never know. If bids come in, you have to be able to react."

Exciting at least to get a glimpse of Nahmani tomorrow, so that's a positive.

Bit underwhelmed that the super duper exciting striker that's coming in is a 4 month loan. Still think it's Kayode, or Pressley at a push.

13 minutes ago, Marko van Haddock said:

Pressley is under contract so could still be a loan, but Fletcher, nope.

But Brentford are willing to let him go for a sell on fee so why would we sign  him on loan when we could get him for good.

Seriously underwhelmed by all this stirker chat for it to be a short term loan.

Also not wearing that out budget after moving on seriously high earners and pulling in combined six figure fees for two surplus players has stretched to a whole two permanent new players.

I terms of the “unbalanced squad”, once the new mystery forward arrives, compared to the start of last season, we’re a wing back down.

We also have a third keeper and an injured striker we didn’t have last season.

We do have young Sutherland as an option at left wing back and, whether we like it or not, Robinson reckons that McMenamin can play there too. 

So, in terms of numbers and budget, I  can understand why there would be no more signings unless anyone leaves 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

35 minutes ago, Marko van Haddock said:

Have we really used all our budget up on McMenamin and Mandron?

NO WAY!  Wages wise look :-

Namani replaces Henderson

Mandron replaces Watt *

Hemming replace Carson *

New striker replaces Brophy

Conor replaces (Offord/or)

Who replaces Big Joe or Main or Tait or Small ?

And Baccus will most likely be gone too.

* These have to be cheaper replacements (Carson not away yet but will be)

7 minutes ago, medals said:

NO WAY!  Wages wise look :-

Namani replaces Henderson

Mandron replaces Watt *

Hemming replace Carson *

New striker replaces Brophy

Conor replaces (Offord/or)

Who replaces Big Joe or Main or Tait or Small ?

And Baccus will most likely be gone too.

* These have to be cheaper replacements (Carson not away yet but will be)

Hemming isn’t a straight replacement for Carson as Carson is still getting paid

Compared to the start of last season, Taylor has replaced Shaughnessy and Small and Watt weren’t here (Watt and Brophy weren’t on the books at the same time)

So we’re a wing back down and have an extra keeper and injured striker on the books. 

Shipping out Carson appears key to freeing up budget for another signing

Edited by Captain_Sensible

2 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Hemming isn’t a straight replacement for Carson as Carson is still getting paid

I mentioned he will be gone

Compared to the start of last season, Taylor has replaced Shaughnessy

He was here along with Joe since January

and Small and Watt weren’t here (Watt and Brophy weren’t on the books at the same time)

Ofcourse they were. RC were only part paying Brophy's wage just as we were with Watt. We obviously needed cover for Tanser and that hasn't changed.

So we’re a wing back down and have an extra keeper and injured striker on the books

We also have an injurred LWB and an injured Bachus

So we are light. Even with the additions in January we were low in numbers late in the season... and we have taken in money for The 2 going to RC and the 2 lads going to Airdrie. 

We will also be sending out 2 or 3 others.

3 hours ago, saintmurn said:

McMenamin injured but should be back soon. Looking unlikely we'll sign anyone other than the striker (unless others leave or Robbo can convince the board). Lennon clearly still training with us too. 

Brilliant football manager interview; friendly, engaging and open but ultimately said feck all 👏🏻

Our budget is our business and Robbo is not giving any unnecessary financial encouragement to agents or clubs we might be speaking to.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Seriously underwhelmed by all this stirker chat for it to be a short term loan.

Also not wearing that out budget after moving on seriously high earners and pulling in combined six figure fees for two surplus players has stretched to a whole two permanent new players.

The team looks weaker and this might be wrong but it is the feeling I have at present .

10 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

The team looks weaker and this might be wrong but it is the feeling I have at present .

It is weaker right now but part of that is 3 injured and most of the players not being match fit.

Once the rest of the squad are in, we should be stronger.

Losing last season's contribution from Brophy, Tait, Henderson, Watt is not a great problem.

Losing Main and Carson is much more significant.  Add to that, likely Baccus too (He works hard, but we should be able to get in someone else who can do a job) and perhaps Strain. (Unlikely a replacement for him will be anywhere nearly as good though)

Conor, Mandron and Namani will hopefully bring more goals along with the super striker arriving next week.

CBM and RT are likely more able to contribute positively too.

We just need a good 3 cup results, injuries to clear up and 3 more in the door and most importantly get good league results from the off.