The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

If anyone in any job gets offered the chance to double or triple their salary then they would be off like a shot. Let’s not be daft here, if he’s offered the job then he’ll be away.

I’ll be gutted if he goes and to be honest I think we’ll fall off a cliff without him in charge but fingers crossed it doesn’t come to that.

21 minutes ago, SS77 said:

If anyone in any job gets offered the chance to double or triple their salary then they would be off like a shot. Let’s not be daft here, if he’s offered the job then he’ll be away.

I’ll be gutted if he goes and to be honest I think we’ll fall off a cliff without him in charge but fingers crossed it doesn’t come to that.

Aye just like we did when Jack Ross and Jim Goodwin left 

Just now, Portmahomack Saint said:

We never actually fell to pieces when auld grumpy nuts went to Aberdeen. If Robinson goes to Hibs, just get all the applicants in, and whoever bungs a baw closest to the panda gets the gig. 

What happens with the Motherwell fans if Robbo leaves? Do we pass them onto Hibs or do we have to keep them? If we have to keep them do we then have to create a weird one sided obsessive rivalry with Hibs?

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

We never actually fell to pieces when auld grumpy nuts went to Aberdeen. If Robinson goes to Hibs, just get all the applicants in, and whoever bungs a baw closest to the panda gets the gig. 

Was actually a wee bit of sarcasm were a well run club on the up and will be fine if leaves 

10 minutes ago, Portmahomack Saint said:

We fell off a cliff massively when Jack Ross left - we nearly ended up relegated after a year.

The board got it right with Robinson’s appointment but literally everything at the club has been set up for him to succeed - that all goes if he takes the Hibs job.

4 minutes ago, SS77 said:

We fell off a cliff massively when Jack Ross left - we nearly ended up relegated after a year.

The board got it right with Robinson’s appointment but literally everything at the club has been set up for him to succeed - that all goes if he takes the Hibs job.

Also, let's be honest, Robbos first half season at Saints would have got him sacked at Hibs.

1 minute ago, SS77 said:

To be fair, it's hard to gauge how well Ross would have done with us when we went up. There's no guarantee we wouldn't have struggled badly in year one anyway, remember his first signing for the top flight was Jim Kellerman.

Stubbs and his scattergun approach,  reliance on trialists like Kpewkawa and Jeff King and loan signings was completely the wrong appointment but we're not in the same situation as a club as we were after just coming up.

I'd have a bit of faith we'd do our due diligence and probably go the same route of using any compensation received on bringing in a proven manger.

Just now, SS77 said:

Nonsense....  we were a newly promoted team staying up was our target, unfortunately we shafted our summer budget on Stubbs and his diddy signings, in the end we got the job done... we've made improvement every season since

Just now, GAD said:

Also, let's be honest, Robbos first half season at Saints would have got him sacked at Hibs.

100%.

Hibs got promoted the season before us. Since coming up, they've finished in the top six almost every season, made it to a couple of cup finals, and sacked 5 managers.

Is Flynniesta not doing his badges? Supposedly has his heid’ screwed on too. Hopefully all bollocks though and Hibs appoint some foreign jobber that will be touted as the next Postecoglu.

Edited by pozbaird

20 minutes ago, GAD said:

What happens with the Motherwell fans if Robbo leaves? Do we pass them onto Hibs or do we have to keep them? If we have to keep them do we then have to create a weird one sided obsessive rivalry with Hibs?

We’ll still be hearing about how they got more goal kicks in a season than us. As they are resorting to now. 

Worst possible time to take over at another club just as the transfer window is closing.

After he joined us, Robbo was clearly frustrated and angry at having to work with someone else's squad. That's what he'd be walking into at Hibs and he seems to be really enjoying himself just now.

On the other hand, from the outside, many will say he's taken us as far as possible. Maybe he's ready for a new challenge.

Who knows..... if worst come to the worst, at least we'll be well-compensated.

Robinson leaving at this stage would be a massive blow. Very rarely does a manager come in and galvanise a club the way he has, albeit it took a little while to get going, just like it took Jack Ross a few months too. We have been blessed to have both Ross and Robinson in recent years, two managers that have arguably driven the club forward both on and off the park.

Those that say we didn't suffer because Jack Ross left, I completely disagree. The club was on an upward trajectory that could have been carried on had the right man been appointed. Instead, Stubbs came in and ripped it all up in a fashion that would have made Tommy Craig proud. It's OK to single out Kellerman, but JR's recruitment was always scattergun at best, but he proved that by instilling the right mentality and team spirit that he could get the most out of players and getting them playing above their levels – see, Cammy Smith, Gavin Reilly, Stelios and Danny Mullen. 

Robinson has done a similiar thing, although I will say his recruitment is better than JR's. He's got Mark O'Hara playing the football of his life, Ryan Strain is hitting levels that I don't think any of us expected, and just look at Olysanya so far this season.

I wasn't Robinson's biggest fan when he first came in, but he has proven just about everybody wrong. But one thing is for sure, this has potential for the wheels to come off if the board don't make the right call should Robbo leave. You only have to look back at Tommy Craig and Alan Stubbs to see that.

Edited by bishoptonbuddie

At the end of the day, losing your manager because he's been poached by a bigger club is simply what happens when you are a smaller club doing well. It's a good thing really, far better than the way we used to lose managers all the time. It would be great to stumble upon a Tommy Wright/David Martindale situation where these very good managers seem to not interest anyone else, but that's not what we have. The club got it right in the end when they replaced Rae, Kearney and Goodwin, with Stubbs being the one black mark. Have to trust them to get it right again.

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

Yes, Alan Stubbs negotiated that we must be given a box of curly wurlys, so we can hear no more moaning about his time with us, i mean, who doesnt like curly wurlys?

I don’t. I once ordered a desert in the Lord Lounsdale that involved a curly wurly. 

The strength of a frozen curly Wurly broke my bridge

let that be a lesson to dentist deniers of frozen chocolate 

Edited by Captain_Sensible