The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

51 minutes ago, medals said:

We've let big earners go previously? Carson, Brophy, Gallagher, Main, Big Joe etc.

Truth is though most of them were aging and/or less likely to produce the goods week in week out.

Goga is different. Only 29. He is strong and fit. Gives 100 % every week, and can contribute at both ends of the park.

With the extra Euro money we can afford to make him a decent offer and he clearly loves it here.

He is a fans favourite for all the right reasons.

I think he'll sign on again, it's good for all parties. 

All for different reasons really. 

Carson fell out with management, Brophy was not worth his wage, Gallagher lives in Dundee and logistically made sense, Main knocked back a deal and big Joe was surplus to requirements. Apart from Brophy, all in their 30s.

2 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

All for different reasons really. 

Carson fell out with management, Brophy was not worth his wage, Gallagher lives in Dundee and logistically made sense, Main knocked back a deal and big Joe was surplus to requirements. Apart from Brophy, all in their 30s.

My point was none of those were considered a big loss in terms of what they offered going forwards considering their big wages.

Hemming doing fab. Guys like Bolton and other CB's too, and up front were moving on too - all i suspect with wages budget being better spent.

Goga I believe is worth a big wage for what he will likely continue to offer us. The man is a Gladiator .

Ross County 3 down at HT last night and made 5 subs in the 2nd half. 2 obvious attacking options, Brophy and Henderson, remained on the bench. That says something.

Brophy..... we needed off the wage bill.

Henderson though must be waking up every day wondering why he didn't sign the contract we offered. Disastrous move for his career.

49 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Ross County 3 down at HT last night and made 5 subs in the 2nd half. 2 obvious attacking options, Brophy and Henderson, remained on the bench. That says something.

Brophy..... we needed off the wage bill.

Henderson though must be waking up every day wondering why he didn't sign the contract we offered. Disastrous move for his career.

Henderson might (no one knows but it's possible) be earning considerably more than he was in Paisley and therefore he might well see that as a good career move if so. It's his next move that will be the issue however there is no saying he would have featured any more had he stayed (personally doubt it) so his next move is likely to prove similar regardless of him moving North.

1 minute ago, Marko van Haddock said:

James Bolton signs contract extension. Great piece of business. 

Aye, after a slow start he's put in some really solid performances, so, happy with this.

Gogic next please!

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Henderson might (no one knows but it's possible) be earning considerably more than he was in Paisley and therefore he might well see that as a good career move if so. It's his next move that will be the issue however there is no saying he would have featured any more had he stayed (personally doubt it) so his next move is likely to prove similar regardless of him moving North.

The Fact that Henderson can't get game time at RC tells you he is not good enough at this level.

He'll drop down a league next season.

Hibs lost £3.9 million last season. Eye-watering consider how mediocre they have been.

9 minutes ago, medals said:

The Fact that Henderson can't get game time at RC tells you he is not good enough at this level.

He'll drop down a league next season.

I think if he'd had more game time he might've kicked on a bit. He was really good in flashes for us, and he was excellent for Inverness.

He couldn't get in our team as he was never a wing back. This has been said before, but now we often play with a front three I'm certain he'd have seen more game time had he stayed with us, than he has at County.

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I think if he'd had more game time he might've kicked on a bit. He was really good in flashes for us, and he was excellent for Inverness.

He couldn't get in our team as he was never a wing back. This has been said before, but now we often play with a front three I'm certain he'd have seen more game time had he stayed with us, than he has at County.

I imagine the deal breaker to go to Ross County though was for more game time, considering why he knocked us back was due to lack of time on the park. He may well or not be getting more money, though he wouldn't have move dup there to be on the same sort of role as backup as he was with us. All imo of course.

Nothing worse than just entering the stadium to find out kick off delayed for 45 mins or so and it’s bloody Baltic.  

Good result and glad we got that second goal. Haven’t seen the red card but seemed a bonkers challenge for Bolton to make in a not very dangerous area and already on a yellow. Made for a nervous last 10!

I hope we can take advantage and climb the table. Killie have Celtic rangers Aberdeen and Dundee upcoming!

50 minutes ago, CoF said:

5700 at the game tonight. Thats decent, are crowds up this season? 

We are averaging 5200 home fans this season. A steady improvement over the last few years.

First back to back wins since September? Is that what they said on Sportscene? Two good performances too.

Next 3 league fixtures are Livingston (a), St Johnstone (h), Ross County (a).

Anything more than 4 points from that and I think we're looking pretty good for top 6.