The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Having now watched the highlights of calamity Carson giving away the most ridiculous penalty for Hibs yesterday, while Zach Hemming kept his 15 th clean sheet at the SMISA. There can be no doubts about who has the better keeper. 

7 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Having now watched the highlights of calamity Carson giving away the most ridiculous penalty for Hibs yesterday, while Zach Hemming kept his 15 th clean sheet at the SMISA. There can be no doubts about who has the better keeper. 

There really was some mental comments online in the summer when he left. 

It was either here or twitter where someone suggested Carson was the best out of him, Hladky and Alnwick. Bat shit stuff. 

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

7 years ago today. Had we lost that game we would have surely been relegated to the third tier. Instead we only lost 2 further league games that season.

I knew that day we were staying up. We were still a million miles away from safety but we went out and made a statement without a doubt.

21 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Games against us shouldnt really count tbf.

Thinking it will be us , Killie and Hibs that will make up the to six . Which should give Saints three home games and the opportunity to push for fourth place . A fantastic place for Saints to be , especially with so many key players coming back from injury . 

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Thinking it will be us , Killie and Hibs that will make up the to six . Which should give Saints three home games and the opportunity to push for fourth place . A fantastic place for Saints to be , especially with so many key players coming back from injury . 

I think we’ll have 3 home games regardless of who gets into the top 6 with us as we’ll only have had 16 home games before the split. 
Last season it worked the other way for us. We’d played 17 home games before the split which meant we had to go away somewhere for the 3rd time. Think it might’ve been Aberdeen. 

6 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think we’ll have 3 home games regardless of who gets into the top 6 with us as we’ll only have had 16 home games before the split. 
Last season it worked the other way for us. We’d played 17 home games before the split which meant we had to go away somewhere for the 3rd time. Think it might’ve been Aberdeen. 

This.

Post split if Hibs made top six, we'd be fine as our fixtures would balance out.

If Dundee/Aberdeen make top six, i think we'd get a third home match against either of them or Hearts.

Just making the top 6 back-to-back would be an achievement. The fact is though, that undeniably bigger clubs in Hibernian and Aberdeen have decided to whiff the place out in the same season, giving us a great opportunity to actually grab some sort of European football. At the start of every season, you assume there’s the Glasgow & Edinburgh four, plus Aberdeen, making up five of the six. Similarly sized clubs like us, Killie, Motherwell, Dundee scrapping for the sixth spot, and although not this season, St Johnstone, Livvy and Ross C all ‘top six capable’ in previous seasons. I think that’s why some supporters frustration boiled over at Livingston. It looked every bit like three very winnable points frittered away. We were comfortable winners against St Johnstone though, simply must eke out another three points tomorrow if we’re serious about making our great start to the season count - in a tangible way by getting ANY sort of European involvement. Personally, I wouldn’t care if we got some Welsh, Irish or Maltese mob… just getting there at all and seeing a UEFA flag flying in the corner of the FeegieField Superdome would have me taking a photo of it for posterity. 😎

Edited by pozbaird

11 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

One of the funniest penalties I've seen for a while - and I don't really care about the Carson stuff either. Absolutely tremendous.

38 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Just making the top 6 back-to-back would be an achievement. The fact is though, that undeniably bigger clubs in Hibernian and Aberdeen have decided to whiff the place out in the same season, giving us a great opportunity to actually grab some sort of European football. At the start of every season, you assume there’s the Glasgow & Edinburgh four, plus Aberdeen, making up five of the six. 

You do definitely go in with that mindset but since the introduction of the split, there have only been 7 out of 23 seasons where all 5 of the 'big 5' made the top six. Even in the seasons Rangers were gone, Hearts and Hibs became basketcases as well and in one season, Celtic were the only one of the 'big 5' to make it.

So historically, you can say there's about a 70% chance of at least one of them having a bin fire of a season meaning that there should almost always be at least 2, sometimes 3 top six spots up for grabs.

57 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Just making the top 6 back-to-back would be an achievement. The fact is though, that undeniably bigger clubs in Hibernian and Aberdeen have decided to whiff the place out in the same season, giving us a great opportunity to actually grab some sort of European football. 

The prize money will really help us financially. However is there an argument that getting European fitba leads to problems in the league the following season?

Aberdeen & Hibs both suffering this season.

Last season United relegated despite playing European ties. Not many - granted.

All these sides have significantly greater resources than ourselves. 

It’s a nice problem to have. Would also be great to get to the later stages of the league cup as a seeded team. 😂 

4 minutes ago, Molotov said:

The prize money will really help us financially. However is there an argument that getting European fitba leads to problems in the league the following season?

Aberdeen & Hibs both suffering this season.

Last season United relegated despite playing European ties. Not many - granted.

All these sides have significantly greater resources than ourselves. 

It’s a nice problem to have. Would also be great to get to the later stages of the league cup as a seeded team. 😂 

If there is a league hangover from playing in Europe (and I really do say IF because I’m not convinced there is and it’s just a excuse teams use for being shite) then I think it only really applies to getting to the group stages. 
With the best will in the world, I think we’re unlikely to do that. I’d personally settle for making it through a couple of rounds. 

28 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

If there is a league hangover from playing in Europe (and I really do say IF because I’m not convinced there is and it’s just a excuse teams use for being shite) then I think it only really applies to getting to the group stages. 
With the best will in the world, I think we’re unlikely to do that. I’d personally settle for making it through a couple of rounds. 

Personally I would rather have a couple of matches in Europe than a few in the league cup sections.

We are then guaranteed to be seeded once the sections are complete. 

Would also be great if we could qualify for Europe on merit without requiring a favour from one of the bigot brothers in the Scottish cup.

Unless there is a complete arse collapse by Hearts we need to be competing for 4th to achieve guaranteed European fitba.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

You do definitely go in with that mindset but since the introduction of the split, there have only been 7 out of 23 seasons where all 5 of the 'big 5' made the top six. Even in the seasons Rangers were gone, Hearts and Hibs became basketcases as well and in one season, Celtic were the only one of the 'big 5' to make it.

So historically, you can say there's about a 70% chance of at least one of them having a bin fire of a season meaning that there should almost always be at least 2, sometimes 3 top six spots up for grabs.

Yeah but, big clubs, games in hand. You know. 😀

Like every Saints supporter, I know the club can find some of the most creative ways possible to kick us in the stones............. so talk of top 6 and then maybe Europe should be banned until the split and then the end of the season 😎

16 hours ago, Silvio said:

There really was some mental comments online in the summer when he left. 

It was either here or twitter where someone suggested Carson was the best out of him, Hladky and Alnwick. Bat shit stuff. 

He was good and defo can be mentioned in the same breath as the others. But for me Hladky was the best of the three. Where are they now though?

32 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Like every Saints supporter, I know the club can find some of the most creative ways possible to kick us in the stones............. so talk of top 6 and then maybe Europe should be banned until the split and then the end of the season 😎

If we win 3 games before the split, those below us would have to win 6 or more or something like that.

Ok a team or 2 might string a run together, and Hibs looked better at the weekend, but none of them have strung anything like 6 wins in 8 or so matches.

Is it beyond us to win 3, I would certainly hope not. Starting RC away the the Dons at home.

4 or 6 points from those would make 4th a far higher possibility.