The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Correct. 

If Lee Mair told me water was wet, I'd dip my toe in to make sure.

So you think we’re shite and Robbo/McInnes aren’t fit to lace Aberdeen’s boots?

Seems to me you’re saying you pay no credence to an article, the content of which you probably agree 100% with, just because of who also happens to share that opinion?

And you accuse him of weirdo behaviour. 🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

So you think we’re shite and Robbo/McInnes aren’t fit to lace Aberdeen’s boots?

Seems to me you’re saying you pay no credence to an article, the content of which you probably agree 100% with, just because of who also happens to share that opinion?

And you accuse him of weirdo behaviour. 🤣🤣

Yeah that's exactly what I said there...

You do know blethering idiots can be right about some things and it doesn't mean you have to give them the time of day over what they are saying. Mair is one such person, a pyramid hawking, Joey Barton loving dafty who has gone off at the deep end. His opinions on St. Mirren, positive or negative should be paid no mind whatsoever. 

Talk about starting a fight in an empty house FFS. Go have a lie down.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah that's exactly what I said there...

You do know blethering idiots can be right about some things and it doesn't mean you have to give them the time of day over what they are saying. Mair is one such person, a pyramid hawking, Joey Barton loving dafty who has gone off at the deep end. His opinions on St. Mirren, positive or negative should be paid no mind whatsoever. 

Talk about starting a fight in an empty house FFS. Go have a lie down.

Despite what you think, I’m genuinely not trying to start an argument. I think my content in this forum would speak to that.

I just think it’s a wee bit weird to use an article where said “weirdo” is saying something we all agree with as an opportunity to beat him. 
Wouldn’t it be easier to pick one of what I’m assuming must be umpteen articles, where he is guilty of espousing batshit crazy stuff like you suggest? 🤷‍♂️

36 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Robinson & O’Carroll should be eyeing a bigger and better move than Aberdeen… as Aberdeen are in this modern Scottish fitba’ landscape.

Totally agree, but if someone offers to double or treble your wages it's a different story. 

We also know how fickle football is, one bad run and he could miss the opportunity for a move.

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Totally agree, but if someone offers to double or treble your wages it's a different story. 

We also know how fickle football is, one bad run and he could miss the opportunity for a move.

Agree, but equally taking on a poison chalice like the Aberdeen role could have a similar effect. 
Sadly, I do agree though, that if offered it he’d probably go. 
However, I’m probably slightly less convinced that he would be offered it than I was with Goodwin. 
Surely at some point Aberdeen have to try to be slightly more imaginative when it comes to managerial appointments. 

5 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Despite what you think, I’m genuinely not trying to start an argument. I think my content in this forum would speak to that.

I just think it’s a wee bit weird to use an article where said “weirdo” is saying something we all agree with as an opportunity to beat him. 
Wouldn’t it be easier to pick one of what I’m assuming must be umpteen articles, where he is guilty of espousing batshit crazy stuff like you suggest? 🤷‍♂️

I think it'd weirder picking one of those as they generally bear no relation to St. Mirren, to be fair.

The context of my initial reply was that ZM should bear no mind to Mair trying in national press to link Robinson (and McInnes) with the Aberdeen job as he's generally full of it.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I think it'd weirder picking one of those as they generally bear no relation to St. Mirren, to be fair.

The context of my initial reply was that ZM should bear no mind to Mair trying in national press to link Robinson (and McInnes) with the Aberdeen job as he's generally full of it.

Fair enough 👍

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Agree, but equally taking on a poison chalice like the Aberdeen role could have a similar effect. 
Sadly, I do agree though, that if offered it he’d probably go. 
However, I’m probably slightly less convinced that he would be offered it than I was with Goodwin. 
Surely at some point Aberdeen have to try to be slightly more imaginative when it comes to managerial appointments. 

The factor - the only factor really - that would concern me is the presence of Alan Burrows.

Without him, I don't think Aberdeen look twice at Robinson because of how badly it went with Goodwin...with him though, I reckon he'd make the argument and make it a compelling one to both the Aberdeen board and Robinson himself.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The factor - the only factor really - that would concern me is the presence of Alan Burrows.

Without him, I don't think Aberdeen look twice at Robinson because of how badly it went with Goodwin...with him though, I reckon he'd make the argument and make it a compelling one to both the Aberdeen board and Robinson himself.

I think they might see McInnes as a safer bet (known quantity there in that role) but it all depends on whether McCormack is willing to eat humble pie and going back there.

Just now, medals said:

I think they might see McInnes as a safer bet (known quantity there in that role) but it all depends on whether McCormack is willing to eat humble pie and going back there.

Not to mention McInnes eating humble pie too. 

54 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I thought Flynnietsa was doing his badges and seemingly has management potential.

For a club of our size, having a spell of success and 'outperforming' our status in Scottish football will always be a double-edged sword. Enjoy it while you can, because there will always be an underperforming club with a larger fanbase and a bigger budget waiting to plunder our assets.

If (or when) Robinson and O'Carroll are lured away from us I would hope that our Board would give serious consideration to appointing Ryan Flynn, who must have learned so much from Robinson about tactics, player recruitment, and the value of sheer hard work. The last thing I would want to happen when Robinson eventually moves on would be to bring in an outsider in his place with different ideas. What we're doing right now is working for us, it is continuity that we will need rather than change. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

What we're doing right now is working for us, it is continuity that we will need rather than change. 

No club stands still, change is here to stay.

I get your continuity argument but even with SR we've changed a fair bit over his stint - formation, players in and out etc. And that's what's brought improved results.

So whoever is in charge is always looking to be more successful. 

Fans too, currently hoping for European football and a 4th place finish or at the least 5th - 1 better than last year.

When Jack Ross secured his 'big' move dahn saaf he hadn't achieved anything of real note. He was very much in the 'promising young manager' bracket.

Robinson has a proven track record at a higher level (in Scotland) and more experience than Ross had. I would be very surprised if Aberdeen don't have him on their list of potential managers. Likewise, its likely he'll be on the radar of clubs up to and including the level of the English Championship.

Sadly, I can't see him being at Saints next season.

1 minute ago, Drooper said:

Sadly, I can't see him being at Saints next season.

If that's the case, he will still have left us in an exceptionally strong position squad wise with not very many players left out of contract and two players already signed up for next season.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

with not very many players left out of contract and two players already signed up for next season.

Isn't there quite a few out of contract? Off the top of my head -

Hemming, Flynn, Dunne, Strain, Baccus, Brown, Kwon, Gogic

And we have an option on Elvis - not sure what the criteria is on that being exercised.

There may be other?

2 minutes ago, medals said:

Isn't there quite a few out of contract? Off the top of my head -

Hemming, Flynn, Dunne, Strain, Baccus, Brown, Kwon, Gogic

And we have an option on Elvis - not sure what the criteria is on that being exercised.

There may be other?

Brown, Hemming, Kwon aren't out of contract, they are returning loans.

Flynn, in all likelihood will also call time on his playing career to go full time on coaching.

The club retains the option on Elvis and CBM has an appearance based extension that has not yet been triggered.

I know exactly how this will go down, but Robinson wont get a bigger move until he actually achieves something notable. 

His best managerial achievement remains the 3rd place finish with Motherwell in the Covid season, or taking them to 2 cup finals in the same season.

For someone approaching 50 and almost 10 years into their coaching career, its not standing out.

Thats not me giving my opinion on his ability blah blah blah, its just that most clubs higher up will be viewing him as a mid-table Scottish Premiership manager.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I know exactly how this will go down, but Robinson wont get a bigger move until he actually achieves something notable. 

His best managerial achievement remains the 3rd place finish with Motherwell in the Covid season, or taking them to 2 cup finals in the same season.

For someone approaching 50 and almost 10 years into their coaching career, its not standing out.

Thats not me giving my opinion on his ability blah blah blah, its just that most clubs higher up will be viewing him as a mid-table Scottish Premiership manager.

I agree with you, which is another reason why I think if he was offered a job like Aberdeen, he'd most likely take it.

I just don't think Aberdeen will come for him this time. There might be some English League 1 clubs that would be interested, but there's such a massive amount of out of work managers down there. And most of these teams would probably plump for someone like Wayne Rooney over Robinson. 

Hibs maybe, when they inevitably sack Montgomery. I think Northern Ireland is a more likely step up for him.

15 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I agree with you, which is another reason why I think if he was offered a job like Aberdeen, he'd most likely take it.

I just don't think Aberdeen will come for him this time. There might be some English League 1 clubs that would be interested, but there's such a massive amount of out of work managers down there. And most of these teams would probably plump for someone like Wayne Rooney over Robinson. 

Hibs maybe, when they inevitably sack Montgomery. I think Northern Ireland is a more likely step up for him.

I dont think theres any doubt he'd take the Aberdeen job, they can spend about 4 times what you do and this Summer he'd be getting a relatively free slate.

I think they might go for him in a "we want McInnes, but it cant be McInnes" logic and realise Robinson is the closest thing. The fans would bitch and cry but theyre doing that anyway.

I've no idea how English sides decide, sometimes feels totally random who they notice and who they dont. If Shaun Maloney can become Wigan manager and Paul Heckingbottom Sheffield United manager after their stints, then f**k knows where good managers end up. He'd be daft not to be sticking his CV into any side in the bottom 8 of the Championship. 

42 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Brown, Hemming, Kwon aren't out of contract, they are returning loans.

Not trying to get into an argument with you but even loans are contracted for the period of the loan and are currently part of "our squad" that will leave gaps needing filled by a manager.

So in any case we'll need to bring in or re-sign something like 8 players which is about a 3rd of our squad.

2 on PCA's is a good start, but 6 others along with those two could be very significant for us next season.

If we are in Europe too, we may well increase the squad size too.